Stihl 440 Magnum Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
I know you're all wondering so here's the update. I cut up a few small alders with my 440. In spite of being run on AvGas and TCW-3 premix it fired right up and ran perfectly.

The end.

I was just saying to myself last night, "Gee, I wonder how Redd's 440 is working out for him." Nice timing, boss.
And glad to hear it's slicing and dicing.

S

thinkxingu said:
I was just saying to myself last night, "Gee, I wonder how Redd's 440 is working out for him." Nice timing, boss.

S

I have not slept in weeks....... airplanes, boats and chainsaws.

HittinSteel said:
thinkxingu said:

S

I have not slept in weeks....... airplanes, boats and chainsaws. . .

. . . oh my!

What do you mean in spite of? AvGas is pure fuel that will ensure you'll have no fuel related issues. I have a saw that only gets run once a yr. Its starts very easy even if run once a yr.

wkpoor said:
What do you mean in spite of? AvGas is pure fuel that will ensure you'll have no fuel related issues. I have a saw that only gets run once a yr. Its starts very easy even if run once a yr.

A lot of the "experts" on this board differ. AvGas with not only ruin your saw, it will deflower your daughter, sh_t on your porch, and drink your last beer.

Bigg_Redd said:
wkpoor said:

A lot of the "experts" on this board differ. AvGas with not only ruin your saw, it will deflower your daughter, sh_t on your porch, and drink your last beer.
Well first off this is a side board to the main forum which is wood stoves. Yes there are many very knowledgeable people on here but if anyone is talking bad about AvGas I haven't read it and I would like to know where this info is coming from and who the so called experts are. Are they more expert than me? Are you a member on arboristsite? That is where you should do your research not here. I personally have used it for over 20yrs in all my chainsaws, mowers, gas tractors, weedwackers and tillers. It has done nothing but make those items run there best without ever a need for stabil. In fact under some conditions I wouldn't use anything else period. I am currently organizing a GTG and there will racing there. I'm plenty of AvGas or a high octane derivative on hand. Now here is the kicker cause I hear this alot. People say oh! you will burn up your saw with that stuff. Truth is it will actually run cooler not hotter. How much heat is determined by the compression and a good grade of fuel will only help it run cooler.

Cant be much fun plowing through some small douglas. ;-)

Thanks for the update Redd. I had to drink myself to sleep every night so far this week while pondering your results.

AvGas and TCW-3 premix. I wonder how that would run in my 9.9 Mercury?

I thought the update was your 440 was that proud father of a new 170.

Saw? You have a saw? When did that happen?

BrotherBart said:
Saw? You have a saw? When did that happen?

Seems like we would've heard about it if that had really happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.