Stihl 441 or 460?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I seen the thread about the Husqvarna 372 XP, 576 XP, or MS 441. I have been in the market for another saw and this thread helped a lot.

But... Me and my Bro-in-Law are both buying new saws. He is Set on the 372 XP and I was looking at it also. But because he is getting the Husqvarna, I am gonna get the Stihl. We can borrow/share each others and truly compare.

I have a few Huskys. Traded one for a Log Load last year and the 455 is by far my favorite of them. I have 2 Stihls, a 192-T and an 036. 036 getting the most use.

So my question is, which would you buy?? The 460 is what I was after. But after reading a little and seeing how the new air filtration is on the 441 (similar to Husqvarna) I am looking hard at the 441.

Was gonna buy one yesterday. Stopped again today and looked. I am buying one or the other on Monday and would like personal opinions and reviews. (Even if you say buy the Husqvarna 372 or the 576).

Thanks stihl4.jpg stihl5.jpg 47173-403b72454454b6bb38b6245f4bb67efb.jpg

The 441 mtronic seems to be getting rave reviews. The 460 is a great saw as well. The 441 should be more fuel efficient if that is a concearn at all.

Can't help you with your question, but you have some nice cleans saws there. Either one looks like it will get a good home.

Can't help you with your question, but you have some nice cleans saws there. Either one looks like it will get a good home.

Both Stihls are used. I got the 036 from a buddy at work (pretty cheap, but had to invest in it) and just acquired the MS-192 T a month ago used ($140). I try to take care of them and keep them clean. My Father told me if I wanted to keep anything, that I had to take care of it. And no matter what I did, to take pride in it. Even wiping my A$$....

Thanks for the compliment though.

Here is the thread on the 036. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/stihl-036-trade-what-its-worth-got-it-updated-w-pics.69794/

The 441 is pretty much the equal of the 372, but a little heavier and more expensive. The 460 completely dominates the the 372 in all performance categories (except weight) and will allow you the pleasure of calling your BIL's 372 a "little girl's saw."

I'd go with the 460.....I'm not a logger and therefore could care less about filtration and fuel savings, give me more power with less "engineering".

BTW, I'd get a 372 ;) but I'm biased.

I'd get a 441 and call it a day. I don't think I have ever read and unhappy review of the 044/440/441 (or the 372 for that matter). The 441 SHOULD be big enough unless you cut a lot of big wood. I'd get a 25 inch bar and run full skip on it. If you like a 455, your gonna love a pro saw!

You like the 036 the most and it's your only pro saw thus far. If you imagine an 066/660/661 in your future then the 441 would be between the 036 and the 066. If 066 isn't in your future, then 460 would be your big saw. There's no replacement for displacement. 460 has the power to run full chisel on a bar length of your choice.

460/192t is my Favorite.................Now if my wood was normally under 35 inchs 441 for the fuel milage makes a lot of sence. Over 35 the norm its a 460 ported. What size bar are you wanting to run?

Reactions: ScotO
For the work I do with cutting (I cut on the side, darn near a full time job anymore after work and weekends), I would go with the 460/192. Granted, I am running vintage saws (because I LOVE 'EM!), and I'm running a pair of 72cc 041AV Supers, and a pair of 32cc 015's pretty much all the time). I do have a 111cc 075AV for the real big stuff, but hardly ever get it out of the stable (it's getting an overhaul this coming winter). If you aren't cutting big stuff all the time, the 441/192 would be a great combination. Like SmokinJ said, you'll save on fuel. That's my .02 cents.

The new air filtration seems like a nice feature on the 441. After watching a Youtube video of a guy spreading saw dust all over a Husqvarna and a Stihl running side by side. Then removing the air cleaner cover and showing how. Clogged the Stihl was and how clean the Husqvarna was.

Maybe I am over thinking it. I doubt I would be disappointed in any of them (441, 460, 372, or 576). I want to get the 660, but the added weight would be to much. Until I get some more time on my hands (when the kids are older) I will stick with just firewood saws. But in a few years, I would like to get an Alaskan Mill and a 660 or 880. With a 10 month old and a 10 yr old, Im gonna put it off for awhile.

But Mama gave me the Green light on a Big Boy Saw. So I want to get the best bang for my buck. What bar size would you guys stick with? I am going to buy a 20" with whatever one I get. Both the 441 and 460 have 25" on them at the dealer.

I have a 25" for my 036, but you cant bury it and expect it to pull it. I recently bought an 18" for it and a 16" for the 455. They run much better with the smaller bars. Thats why I am thinking of runnin a 20" on this new saw mainly, until I hit some Big Stuff. Then put on the 25".

Whats the biggest bar that the 460 will handle (reality).? Not what Stihl claims (32"). I would like to have a Bigger bar, just in case the situation arises. ;)

32 a pretty big pull for it and I run full skipper on it. Takes a light hand at that.
believe it or not I can pull a 36" with a skipper on my 041 Super. Now it does have a mild port job and an open muffler on it!;)

Reactions: smokinj
believe it or not I can pull a 36" with a skipper on my 041 Super. Now it does have a mild port job and an open muffler on it!;)

It would do it but 32 going to keep more rpm. 36 I would want a 90cc+. I have a pretty heavy hand and the 28 is perfect for that, but the 32 will get me through anything. 55 inch oak is the biggest tree I have ever ran across.

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
I cut a couple 50+ inchers the past two years, one was an huge ash tree the other was an oak. I used my 28" with a full chisel on both of those trees with no problems. Didn't even use the 075 (because I didn't have a big mount bar at that time, i was tempted to modify my 36" bar to fit that dang thing!), we have a couple bigguns coming up this spring, hopefully I will have the 051 I am building (still waiting on a couple parts) done by then and I will break it in on those trunks, may even do a little slab milling on them for play wood). I think you and I may be related smokinj........we both have the same sick twisted addiction to those big trees!;lol::-)_g

It would do it but 32 going to keep more rpm. 36 I would want a 90cc+. I have a pretty heavy hand and the 28 is perfect for that, but the 32 will get me through anything. 55 inch oak is the biggest tree I have ever ran across.

What bar do you run the most on your 460?? The 28"??

I still cant decide whether I want the bigger motor, or more fuel efficient and better filtering (also smarter carb).. !!

I cut a couple 50+ inchers the past two years, one was an huge ash tree the other was an oak. I used my 28" with a full chisel on both of those trees with no problems. Didn't even use the 075 (because I didn't have a big mount bar at that time, i was tempted to modify my 36" bar to fit that dang thing!), we have a couple bigguns coming up this spring, hopefully I will have the 051 I am building (still waiting on a couple parts) done by then and I will break it in on those trunks, may even do a little slab milling on them for play wood). I think you and I may be related smokinj........we both have the same sick twisted addiction to those big trees!;lol::-)_g

That we do! I keep trying to get away from them and Bam! There's one less than a mile from the house.q.jpg

I still cant decide whether I want the bigger motor, or more fuel efficient and better filtering (also smarter carb).. !!

Yes I run 28 most of the time...90 percent because I have to. Now if you can get by with a 20inch its Rock and Roll!:cool: Saw I would pick just like I said.....35 inch and under is normall 441 will be the faster saw.......35 and over 460! But if power what you want it is in the 460.

Reactions: Dairyman

28" is standard around here for 440/441/460. I went with a 25" on my 440 just because I didn't want to file those extra teeth.

Forget efficiency. You will never cut enough wood for it to matter.

Forget filtration. Your air cleaner will need servicing at regular intervals regardless, and that job couldn't be easier on the 460 (dunno what the 441 is like).

Get lots more power for very little ($50?) more money and no weight penalty. This is a contest with your BIL. It's not about "need." It's about winning.

Get lots more power for very little ($50?) more money and no weight penalty. This is a contest with your BIL. It's not about "need." It's about winning.

Thats what its about. Gotta be bigger, faster, etc... ;)

Sounds like the 460 may be the one....

(441 has 2 clips similar to Husqvarnas system. Seals the area around the filter and air is injected through the grill by the pull start cord. Stopping large particles from getting sucked directly into the filter area)

Pics will be forthcoming on Monday evening. Sometime around 6'ish.

Thats what its about. Gotta be bigger, faster, etc... ;)

Sounds like the 460 may be the one....

(441 has 2 clips similar to Husqvarnas system. Seals the area around the filter and air is injected through the grill by the pull start cord. Stopping large particles from getting sucked directly into the filter area)

Pics will be forthcoming on Monday evening. Sometime around 6'ish.

Only one thing about a 460 it uses more gas so the 372 and 441 will be won in the pits. If your wanting the fast cut its the 460. Just keep in mind it really comes down to who has the right saw for the way that you work. If your aggressive with a saw then 460 if your slow and steady 441 you will watch the 460 in the pits.

Stihl dealer closed at 12:00 today, so I was going Monday.

I stopped at my Husqvarna dealer on the way home just now to get a Hedge Trimmer attachment for weed wacker. I have a gas powered hedge Trimmer already. But some of ours shrubs, bushes, trees, etc are a little tough to do on a ladder.

The dealer and I are on a 1st name basis. I have bought my Husqvarna weed wacker, Husq Roto tiller, 3 chainsaws, and even won a chainsaw.in a raffle last November. So I am about to buy the.Trimmer attachment ($275) and he asks about the Pro Saw I have been wanting (372 or 576) and I told him the truth about the Stihl dealer and what I was looking at.

He has me tied in knots because of the "package" deal (hedge attach and 576) he can give me. And if I wait a week for my BIL to buy his 372, it gets even better for both of us....... Arhgggggg..... WTF... I was pretty close to just buying the 576 xp. It would still be "Bigger" than my BIL....????

Im an equal fan of both Manufacturers (Husq and Stihl) and was pretty set on the 460, until 30 minutes ago.....

Stihl dealer closed at 12:00 today, so I was going Monday.

I stopped at my Husqvarna dealer on the way home just now to get a Hedge Trimmer attachment for weed wacker. I have a gas powered hedge Trimmer already. But some of ours shrubs, bushes, trees, etc are a little tough to do on a ladder.

The dealer and I are on a 1st name basis. I have bought my Husqvarna weed wacker, Husq Roto tiller, 3 chainsaws, and even won a chainsaw.in a raffle last November. So I am about to buy the.Trimmer attachment ($275) and he asks about the Pro Saw I have been wanting (372 or 576) and I told him the truth about the Stihl dealer and what I was looking at.

He has me tied in knots because of the "package" deal (hedge attach and 576) he can give me. And if I wait a week for my BIL to buy his 372, it gets even better for both of us....... Arhgggggg..... WTF... I was pretty close to just buying the 576 xp. It would still be "Bigger" than my BIL....????

Im an equal fan of both Manufacturers (Husq and Stihl) and was pretty set on the 460, until 30 minutes ago.....

Flip a coin!

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.