Stihl 441 Starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
How much difficulty should I expect starting a 441 cold? I took the plunge and bought one two weeks ago, but cold starting in 50* or less temps are a bear, but once it runs, it runs like a scalded hound. It seems like it wants to flood easily.

Thanks.

The on going question, how do I start this thing... No insults intended but they are all cold blooded. Every saw I own is in one way or another cold blooded. The part that sucks is when I don't work for a week or so and forget which saw does what when your trying to start it. Don't feel bad it isn't you. Choke the saw, pull till you get a burp, then move the choke to the next position up, then pull till it fires.... Some times I have to do it 2-3 times to get it right. >:-(

I have had my Ms440 for 9 years it never started real hard when cold choke pull until it burps 2-5 pulls up one notch 1-2 pulls and running. I did a muffler mod a few weeks ago WOW I will never have a stock muffler again I cut on tue. last week it was 25 degrees I set the choke 2 pulls it fired and was able to hit the lever quick enough it stayed running.You really have to catch the burp or they will flood.

I can't speak for the 441 but the Husqvarna equivalent I own (372) always takes at least 7 pulls when cold before it barks, then I close the choke. One or two more pulls and it's scaled hound mode for me as well for the rest of the day.

Thats a bad @ss saw. Its no different than any other stihl. Listen for the pop if you miss it your going to flood it every time. 5-7 pulls on a cold saw is normal.

Haven't got any time on the new strato-charged motors from Stihl (261, 362, 441 and their siblings) but on all others when it's cold out, after the initial "pop" and moving the choke lever up, it will fire on the next pull and sometimes die. If it doesn't re-start within 1-2 more pulls, I go back to full choke and repeat. My 034 can be slow to wake on a cold day especially if it's been sitting for a couple weeks or more. All saws without purge primers are this way regardless of brand. Pi$$es you off when your neighbor/buddy pumps the primer on his Craftsman 5 times, sets the choke and it fires on the 1st/2nd pull tho. >:-(

MasterMech said:
Haven't got any time on the new strato-charged motors from Stihl (261, 362, 441 and their siblings) but on all others when it's cold out, after the initial "pop" and moving the choke lever up, it will fire on the next pull and sometimes die. If it doesn't re-start within 1-2 more pulls, I go back to full choke and repeat. My 034 can be slow to wake on a cold day especially if it's been sitting for a couple weeks or more. All saws without purge primers are this way regardless of brand. Pi$$es you off when your neighbor/buddy pumps the primer on his Craftsman 5 times, sets the choke and it fires on the 1st/2nd pull tho. >:-(

You repeat that on a 361,441,460,880. Your flooded. If it falls flat on its face at 1/2 choke you want to turn the choke off.

Thanks for the comments. That business about easily flooding and have some difficulty starting cold is similar to what my dealer told me when I asked him. He also said that due to the size of the 441 it would be harder to start than my MS270.

Ja, if I think I missed the point where the full choke should be turned off, I'm real hesitant to go back to full choke right away. What I do to dry out the cylinder is to set the saw on the ground and put one knee on it to free up both hands. Then with one hand I hold the throttle wide open and pull with the other hand about a dozen times. One also has to hold one's tongue just so, out the side of the mouth through this process. I think the tongue thing is to keep one from cursing cuz if you start cursing, throwing the saw is almost sure to follow. Depending on how the saw is balanced, you might be able to do it standing up rather than kneeling.

I have to wonder if some folk that have trouble with a cold start are letting their saw run out of gas before putting it away. If my saw runs out of gas, it takes more effort to start. In fact, if it sounds like it's going to run out of gas, I kill it right away rather than try to finish the cut I'm in.

G6 at Snook said:
Thanks for the comments. That business about easily flooding and have some difficulty starting cold is similar to what my dealer told me when I asked him. He also said that due to the size of the 441 it would be harder to start than my MS270.

Harder to pull for sure!

My MS441 is a pain in the @$$ to start as well. Once it is warm, though, it is easy to restart. Lots of power and I have no need for a bigger saw.

smokinjay said:
G6 at Snook said:

Harder to pull for sure!
Absolutely! I always know when I get my 440 mod saw out. It is always going to be a routine! But boy when you get cutting it is worth it.

You repeat that on a 361,441,460,880. Your flooded. If it falls flat on its face at 1/2 choke you want to turn the choke off.[/quote]

Maybe it just helps to have a "trained ear" for what the saw really needs. ;-P

I have a 441 and it is a pain to start as well. When I first brought the saw home I ended up flooding the carb consistently for the first two days. I don't hear the "pop" when you choke it like all the other saws I own when on full choke. I simply do not use the decompression valve, but pull it three or four times on full choke and then move it to half choke and pull it a couple more times until it fires off.

guess i got the "odd" 441. mine starts in cold weather every time. 4 pulls to burp, 3-4 to start. in real hot weather it's 20 pulls no start, switch to my 036 pro. go figure.

MasterMech said:
You repeat that on a 361,441,460,880. Your flooded. If it falls flat on its face at 1/2 choke you want to turn the choke off.

Maybe it just helps to have a "trained ear" for what the saw really needs. ;-P[/quote]

Maybe, but all the pro saws are very close and I for one cant hear that fricken 361. :lol: I feel pull gets easier on the pop cycle. ;-)

Are y'all switching the air filter to the cold weather setting when it get's chilly out?

smokinjay said:
Maybe, but all the pro saws are very close and I for one cant hear that fricken 361.

Huh, I get a very distinct "pop" or even a "pop,pop", that tells me to get off the choke. Another 3 pulls and it is running.

Danno77 said:
Are y'all switching the air filter to the cold weather setting when it get's chilly out?

I switched mine a couple weeks ago. Can't tell a bit of difference. I just hope I remember to switch it back.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Maybe, but all the pro saws are very close and I for one cant hear that fricken 361.

Huh, I get a very distinct "pop" or even a "pop,pop", that tells me to get off the choke. Another 3 pulls and it is running.

Same here. Mine will sputter and almost run with full choke, switch to "run", two more pulls and its off to the races.

lukem said:
Danno77 said:

I switched mine a couple weeks ago. Can't tell a bit of difference. I just hope I remember to switch it back.

This setting really doesn't matter for starting the saw. It is more for the airflow of the running saw.

Jags said:
lukem said:
Danno77 said:

This setting really doesn't matter for starting the saw. It is more for the airflow of the running saw.

Yep, i know....but seems to run the same in either position.

lukem said:
Jags said:
lukem said:
Danno77 said:

It pretty much will. The operator is not gonna notice a temp difference much, but the machine might care in how well the air is being cooled or warmed. I think (but do not know for a fact) that it is more important for summer use, than it is for winter. Something to do with proper cooling when used in a hot environment. I don't cut when its hot so I don't ever change the dang thing.

Jags said:
lukem said:
Jags said:
lukem said:
Danno77 said:

It pretty much will. The operator is not gonna notice a temp difference much, but the machine might care in how well the air is being cooled or warmed. I think (but do not know for a fact) that it is more important for summer use, than it is for winter. Something to do with proper cooling when used in a hot environment. I don't cut when its hot so I don't ever change the dang thing.

Your probably right. I'm sure it makes a bigger difference if you are cutting in an Alaska winter versus a south Texas summer.

My understanding of the whole cold and warm settings is that it should limit the amount of denser cold air that's going into the carb. Otherwise your whole air/fuel ratio will get out of whack and cause you to run rich in the winter or lean in the summer. If ya got an old saw you need to tune it every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.