Stihl 460 ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am getting kind of close to buying a 460, as well. Still liking the idea of a Dolmar 7900 or a Husky 390xp, but starting to lean towards the 460. Still doing price research on all three, though.

All real nice saws, thats a tough choice! Randy

If I had the coin right now it would be a 460 with a 28".

smokinjay said:
Advantage with a 660 would be running a 36 inch bar and max out. I would rather have a 460 90 percent of the time. 660 is not faster than the 460 until you get in very large wood 45 inchs plus....For me thats when an 880 with a 41inch bar does fine for me. 460 is a very very hard saw to beat in almost every case.

I agree with this 100% I bought myself a 441 and used it to cut 31" + stuff that the tree svc I worked for couldn't run through the chipper. In your case (and mine if I could do it again), I'd go 460. If you're dropping 36"+ trees, I would lean toward the bigger 660. For bucking logs, meaning a non critical circumstance, I'd go 460 (when actually my 441 did quite a nice job.)

Just so you know, the 441 and the husky 372 were the main staples used by the company I worked for. All their crews used those two saws with 20" bars as their ground saws exclusively.

Put a 25 or 28" bar on a 460 and hang on!!!

Good luck!

Just picked up a new 460 w/ a 28" bar and worked it out a couple of 36"+ trees. That saw rocks. Granted they are just big hemlocks but the 460 ate them right up. Can't wait to tackle some big stuff. I was in the same boat looking between a 660 and the 460. I can say I'm glad I don't have to hump the 660 through the bush all day to fall trees. When I come across a 6' tree then I'll worry about a bigger saw.

Part of my reasoning for mentioning the 660 was the fact that he wasn't going to have to hump the saw through the bush. Sounds like all his wood is getting delivered to where he wants it. Anyway, good luck with your choice. Sometimes having so many options is a pain.

Really is pain sometimes. And yes 90% of the time it gets delivered ti a buddies house so puttinn it in the truck mostly. But I'm sure I'll want ti take it in the woods with me as well

You'll do fine with either saw, if the added cost isn't an issue and you really want a 660 I say go for it. Slap a 36" bar with a full skip and go for it. It sounds like you have some pretty big trees, if it was me I'd stick with a 460 but it really is a tough call.

Best of luck.

MJ151 said:
You'll do fine with either saw, if the added cost isn't an issue and you really want a 660 I say go for it. Slap a 36" bar with a full skip and go for it. It sounds like you have some pretty big trees, if it was me I'd stick with a 460 but it really is a tough call.

Best of luck.

lol 460 and a 32 inch bar full skip..... Just like the feel of the 460 much better...I ported mine so its very close to a 660 anyways. Now if I was in long milling runs I would take the 660...Not really I would run the 880.lol

The money won't be the issue. I'm thinking just for the heck of it I may go with the 660. I do want te advantage of throwing a 36 inch bar on there. These guys drop some big stuff off and im sure I'll be loving It when they drop off a 6 foot monster. I get all the big stuff as my buddy doesnt want the huge stuff so i get what he can't handle. And down the road 460. I like collecting these things.

I keep going back and forth in my mind like a kid. Lol.

ecocavalier02 said:
I keep going back and forth in my mind like a kid. Lol.

High rev out of the 460 with the balls to handle a 60 in tree...660 more torque slower rpm's so the advange is only in a very big tree over 48+(36 or bigger bar)....And a ported 460 even changes that! I have ran every saw stihl makes even have an 880 but by far the 460 is my Favorite....You need a steady diet of wood much bigger than a 48 inchs to make a 660 faster than a 460. 48 inch as your biggest tree the 460 Wins this fight all day long!

there ya go chaning my mind again. i guess im thinking into it to much that the 660 will cut faster. i see your comparison 660 kind like a diesel truck in a way, slower but can pull a hell of a lot.

ecocavalier02 said:
there ya go chaning my mind again. i guess im thinking into it to much that the 660 will cut faster. i see your comparison 660 kind like a diesel truck in a way, slower but can pull a hell of a lot.

Yes and if your biggest tree's are 48 inchs the 460 hands down wins all day long.....Now if everything you had was Always 48+ (48 inchs being the smallest tree) and never under 48 inchs the 660 would win in a all day race. Now the 460 ported would give the 660 a very good race up to 55 inchs. Thats another issue..... But if your calling 48 inchs big Your going to flat out love a 460! 660 just going to slow you down...( I have cut well over 60+ inch tree with a 460) With no issue's but the 660 would have been quickier... Razor sharp chains and high rpm's is a very hard saw to beat...70-80cc class saws is where most cross cutting will be the the fastest.....stihl 440-460 husky 372 dolmar 7900. All world class saws.

660 with an 8 pin rim? I know my 064 loves the 8 pin & skip chain. Sorry to throw another choice in the mix. Jay what's your opinion on that combo? A C

Well im sticking with my original selection with the 460. i think it will be nice as well to put my 20 inch bar in there and go to town on some regular size logs as well. it will be nice to have a second saw with some balls as well for when my pops comes along with me in the woods to do some cutting. my little 250 didnt cut it for him last time lol. the 250 is a good limbing saw/ small, small logs...

amateur cutter said:
660 with an 8 pin rim? I know my 064 loves the 8 pin & skip chain. Sorry to throw another choice in the mix. Jay what's your opinion on that combo? A C

Better rpm's but feel the 660 is for the 50+ inch wood. The 460 can be tweak as well even in the 14,500 rpm range (I also tune by ear so in the cut the pressure you apply you can tune in the cut) I would want to run it all day but lots of spins you can do. 660 is more for a big timber feller or very large firewood operation....If your the only person using the saw that 460 really cant be beat....Unless your in 50+ inch wood all the time.

I have a buddy that runs a 660 with a 20" bar. I always have to make a few cuts with it each time we are cutting wood, just so my jaw can drop a little!

My 281XP is heading out for a woods port soon........ hoping it will give me the same feeling when I get it back. Think I'll run a 24" bar and just have a flat out screamer for noodling large rounds.

HittinSteel said:
I have a buddy that runs a 660 with a 20" bar. I always have to make a few cuts with it each time we are cutting wood, just so my jaw can drop a little!

My 281XP is heading out for a woods port soon........ hoping it will give me the same feeling when I get it back. Think I'll run a 24" bar and just have a flat out screamer for noodling large rounds.

That 372 should out run that 660 with a 20 inch on there....The 660 just dont turning the same rpm's and nothing should be stopping a 372 from tuning them with a 20 inch. Try my 880 with a 21 on it yes you can put all the purssure you want on it but the 460 is still faster.

I can bog the 372 with to heavy a hand if the bars buried....... I could stand on the 660 though and it just eats.

HittinSteel said:
I can bog the 372 with to heavy a hand if the bars buried....... I could stand on the 660 though and it just eats.

I can bog out any saw but a 460 with a 20 inch bar Very Strong heck, its Very strong with a 28 inch Bar.......460/660 you could split hairs all day long comes down to the wood.......I can stand on my 880 as well but the 460 will win with a 20 inch bar just need to know your saw and your logs....

Yes, decisions, decisions. A pal is going to let me play with his 066 tomorrow to get a feel for the MS660 level of saw; however, I think if I go with Stihl, SmokingJay's advice on the 460 would kick in and I would most likely go with that. I have another friend that I found out happens to be a Dolmar dealer in another state (and owes me some money) so I might swap invoices for a Dolmar 7900, if he want's to. He quoted me a reasonable price on the saw, but his invoice is not due until April, so we might have to work something out on the time value of the money. I think I would like the Dolmar, but would hate to set foot in the local dealer's shop, if I could find parts on the internet.

I see a lot of youtube videos of Dolmar's with Husquvarna bars; I assume they must be reasonably compatible?

I originally was thinking about a 24" bar, with a 32" for use just once in a while. I got to looking back at some pics of what we were cutting in the spring, and got to thinking about just putting a 28" bar on whatever saw I get and calling it good. Lot's of stuff to ponder, but overall a lot of fun shopping.

Beowulf said:
Yes, decisions, decisions. A pal is going to let me play with his 066 tomorrow to get a feel for the MS660 level of saw; however, I think if I go with Stihl, SmokingJay's advice on the 460 would kick in and I would most likely go with that. I have another friend that I found out happens to be a Dolmar dealer in another state (and owes me some money) so I might swap invoices for a Dolmar 7900, if he want's to. He quoted me a reasonable price on the saw, but his invoice is not due until April, so we might have to work something out on the time value of the money. I think I would like the Dolmar, but would hate to set foot in the local dealer's shop, if I could find parts on the internet.

I see a lot of youtube videos of Dolmar's with Husquvarna bars; I assume they must be reasonably compatible?

I originally was thinking about a 24" bar, with a 32" for use just once in a while. I got to looking back at some pics of what we were cutting in the spring, and got to thinking about just putting a 28" bar on whatever saw I get and calling it good. Lot's of stuff to ponder, but overall a lot of fun shopping.

7900 will work fine and the 28 inch bar is perfect!

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

I can bog out any saw but a 460 with a 20 inch bar Very Strong heck, its Very strong with a 28 inch Bar.......460/660 you could split hairs all day long comes down to the wood.......I can stand on my 880 as well but the 460 will win with a 20 inch bar just need to know your saw and your logs....

Is this true if you aren't a saw maintenance pro or haven't done all the mods? I really like the 71 and use it 90% of the time. However, the 95 chugs through the bigger stuff like you are running a diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.