Stihl 460 ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the trigger, so to speak, today.

After reading much good advice here and at the Aboristsite, I ordered an MS660 with a 28" bar.

Thought process went something like this:

Narrowed it down to Dolmar 7900, Husky390, Stihl MS460 or MS660. Any of these saws would be FINE FINE FINE.

I shopped the Dolmar pretty hard, I think I could have gotten it for almost exactly what a friend of the FIL would sell me a new MS460 for. Finally decided that I have mostly Stihl with some Husky saws, (ok, one Echo) so I did not want to add another brand to the mix. I tend to do my own service, so I would hate to have to learn anything new!

I argued with my local Husky dealer for a while about pricing on the 390. He was willing to come off of list by about $40, if I would pay cash, no CC. pffsssttt!

Then a friend let me play with his 066 for an afternoon. The thing is a beast. It's heavy, loud, and a little bit intimidating to operate. Just what the doctor ordered!

I think SmokinJay is right, the 460 revving higher, will cut medium wood faster and not wear you out as quickly. However, I got to thinking about how the new saw would fit in with it's playmates.

If I'm cutting small branches, limbing, etc. then the MS200T is the first pick. If the wood gets a little bigger, up to say 15" or so, the MS250 will do the job and not wear me out lugging it around. However, if I happen onto BIG WOOD, 36" plus oaks, 48" plus cedar trunks, etc., I want to grab the MS660 and let it grunt through. I think there may also be a little potential to pick up a chainsaw mill and a long bar at some point, where this saw may be a little better for that fun as well.

Probably the only remaining question is: How long before the poor little MS250C morphs, through the magic of Craigslist/Fleabay into a MS260 pro?

Thanks for all of the helpful advice through this long, strange decision process!

Beowulf said:
Pulled the trigger, so to speak, today.

After reading much good advice here and at the Aboristsite, I ordered an MS660 with a 28" bar.

Thought process went something like this:

Narrowed it down to Dolmar 7900, Husky390, Stihl MS460 or MS660. Any of these saws would be FINE FINE FINE.

I shopped the Dolmar pretty hard, I think I could have gotten it for almost exactly what a friend of the FIL would sell me a new MS460 for. Finally decided that I have mostly Stihl with some Husky saws, (ok, one Echo) so I did not want to add another brand to the mix. I tend to do my own service, so I would hate to have to learn anything new!

I argued with my local Husky dealer for a while about pricing on the 390. He was willing to come off of list by about $40, if I would pay cash, no CC. pffsssttt!

Then a friend let me play with his 066 for an afternoon. The thing is a beast. It's heavy, loud, and a little bit intimidating to operate. Just what the doctor ordered!

I think SmokinJay is right, the 460 revving higher, will cut medium wood faster and not wear you out as quickly. However, I got to thinking about how the new saw would fit in with it's playmates.

If I'm cutting small branches, limbing, etc. then the MS200T is the first pick. If the wood gets a little bigger, up to say 15" or so, the MS250 will do the job and not wear me out lugging it around. However, if I happen onto BIG WOOD, 36" plus oaks, 48" plus cedar trunks, etc., I want to grab the MS660 and let it grunt through. I think there may also be a little potential to pick up a chainsaw mill and a long bar at some point, where this saw may be a little better for that fun as well.

Probably the only remaining question is: How long before the poor little MS250C morphs, through the magic of Craigslist/Fleabay into a MS260 pro?

Thanks for all of the helpful advice through this long, strange decision process!

I to just made the decision to go with the 660. my reasoning is kinda the same as yours i have a 250 as well good for small stuff and then361 which is good from 20 30 inch logs no problem. also my buddy just called me with some more wood for me some pieces over 5 feet. so im probably going to go with a 32 inch bar with the 660. then a 36 inch bar down the road. i want to be able to cut the stuff when he gets it and not worry bout it.

After all this saw talk. I ended up getting a 460 with a 28". I have some big wood to cut and need more saw.

FireAnt said:
After all this saw talk. I ended up getting a 460 with a 28". I have some big wood to cut and need more saw.

Lol Then Your a Sissy! You can do over 60inchs if done right with that set up!

smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

Thanks... lol... I figure if I need to tackle anything bigger than that I think I'll pass.

FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

Thanks... lol... I figure if I need to tackle anything bigger than that I think I'll pass.

It can be done pretty easy with a 460 and good chains. There not much easier with an 880...lol

Well here is some pics of what ive been cutting with my 20 inch bar!! and showing ya guys why i need to get a saw soon and will be going with a 660. im cuttin this stuff a couple times a week now.for the past couple months and its getting old. takes for ever and is really time consuming and its all great wood just a pain the you know what with my saw. im 6 foot 6 and this stuff comes up close to my chest.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 191
Nice wood there.

Eco, you have a 250 and 361? I have a 250 and 360. Now you just have to add a big boy to round out the stable!

yeah im in the process of saving the penny's plus the wife is prob going to get me a gift certificate to farmington valley equip for x mas. so i have to be paitent. just sold my old wood stove so its coming.

ecocavalier02 said:
yeah im in the process of saving the penny's plus the wife is prob going to get me a gift certificate to farmington valley equip for x mas. so i have to be paitent. just sold my old wood stove so its coming.

Fantastic! I am sure you will keep us posted. I may test the 460 today. I need to split though........

I to have been splitting and cutting at the same time. Keeping busy trying to keep up with the demand.

I fired it up to cut some pieces here and there. What a great saw! Took a quick shot of the Cottonwood. You can see the trunk go off into the shot. It is 75' long and pretty much the same diameter all the way down.

Attachments

• php9Yh4ZFPM.jpg
    php9Yh4ZFPM.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 155
looks sick. looks like some fun cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.