Stihl 660 or Husky 371xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
Hey folks,

I got a grapple load with a 42" oak and 40 inch sugar maple included. Plan on getting these sizes yearly. I am in need of a saw and a pro is willing to sell me a used 660 for $500 or a 371xp for $400. I figure I'll cut about 6-7 cord a year.

Which would you go for? Or a new 455 or 311 for around $400?

42 inch oak I would go 660. Not that the 371 wouldnt do it but for a hundo Iam all over the 660!

I have run the 660 and the 395 both right straight from the box side beside. Both good saws but both are quite heavy for their power. I would opt for the 371 and take the savings and have it woods ported. However my Solo 681 will spank both without a port job but that saw is now a grand so I wold still go for a port job on a 371 and have a more flexible saw in the end.

wkpoor said:
I have run the 660 and the 395 both right straight from the box side beside. Both good saws but both are quite heavy for their power. I would opt for the 371 and take the savings and have it woods ported. However my Solo 681 will spank both without a port job but that saw is now a grand so I wold still go for a port job on a 371 and have a more flexible saw in the end.

NOS fired 371 has no chance of holding a candle to a 660 in 42 inch oak! EVER! After you do the modds you will still have that extra 100.00 spent and the 660 blows it away in big hardwoods all day every day.

Tansao said:
Pardon my noobism but what are these modifications you speak of?

Strong 371 at best can run a 28 inch bar in oak (with perfect chains) that does not last long in oak. This will have you cutting down both sides just to make a cut. 660 will pull a 36 inch bar stock one side one trip down that monster oak. For 100.00 this is a NO Brain-er. If a 371 can cut that oak faster it will be one run!

My 460 is as modded of a work saw your ever going to want. Its as strong or stronger than a 371. But its No big Oak slayer that a 90cc saw going to give you!
Nor is a 90cc saw ever going to be what a 120cc saw is.

My avavtar is a 44 inch red oak cutting as hard as a 76.5 modded cc saw can go. 371 is a 70cc....40+inch oak is the biggest badest hardwood tree there is.

He said he will only be cutting about 2 logs that size and maybe an occasional one there after. The 371 could be a more all around saw and still take on an occasional biggy. Agreed there is some awesome 660s out there but I'm not a 90cc fan after seeing what the 70-80cc saws can do modded. I need to find the pic of Brad Snelling running a 60" bar on a 660 at one of my GTGs.

wkpoor said:
He said he will only be cutting about 2 logs that size and maybe an occasional one there after. The 371 could be a more all around saw and still take on an occasional biggy. Agreed there is some awesome 660s out there but I'm not a 90cc fan after seeing what the 70-80cc saws can do modded. I need to find the pic of Brad Snelling running a 60" bar on a 660 at one of my GTGs.

lol Cant believe anyone would buy a 60 inch small mount bar (over 120cc bar). There over 600.00 bucks. Yes a 70-to 80 is a great saw just lacks big grunt in monster hardwoods. They will do it but its going to take awhile.

Most of the logs I have to go through now are 24 to 30" with the two larger. But, the grapple loads I expect to get in years to come will be anywhere from that size to 40+.

Are you folks saying that the 660 will be not as a good a saw with my average log diameter of 28 to 36"? Why would the 660 work less well than the Husky on those diameters?

Tansao said:
Most of the logs I have to go through now are 24 to 30" with the two larger. But, the grapple loads I expect to get in years to come will be anywhere from that size to 40+.

Are you folks saying that the 660 will be not as a good a saw with my average log diameter of 28 to 36"? Why would the 660 work less well than the Husky on those diameters?

You can get the 371 running really good if you are good with small motors. 28-36 inch hardwoods I would lean hard toward that 660. It runs fine on a 20-36 inch bar. The 371 can do it just a going to be slower in that wood if its all hardwood. 100.00 more for hardwoods your talking is a no brain-er.. Might get a new measurement to make sure though.

Tansao said:
Hey folks,

I got a grapple load with a 42" oak and 40 inch sugar maple included. Plan on getting these sizes yearly. I am in need of a saw and a pro is willing to sell me a used 660 for $500 or a 371xp for $400. I figure I'll cut about 6-7 cord a year.

If you want the best saw on the planet, get a Stihl.

If you want an orange saw buy a Husqvarna.

For what you're describing you cut, the better chois is going to be the 660. You're going to get more of that work done with fewer cuts and at the end of the day you're going to have more of that wood bucked and ready for the splitter. But considering both saws you have to choose from (and assuming both are well cared for of course), you really can't make a bad decision here. The 660 will run a bigger bar all day long but the extra weight will tire you out faster than the 371...its all about compromises.

If a few years down the road you get sick and tired of dealing with splitting 200lb rounds and move to more "normal" sized logs, the 660 will probably hold more of its value longer than the 371 on the used market.

Most grapple loads I see are primarily 14-18" logs, what you're getting is pretty unusual in my experience. Have fun with the big saw!

Speaking of rounds that large, I've found a HUGE score of red oak and sugar maple... problem is they are MONSTERS... 40+" each. I've been tackling them with the Dolmar 7900 and I've had no issues other than the need to sharpen my chains more often, which is good too giving the saw some breathing time. I don't know what a 90CC cuts like but the 79CC of the Dolmar handles the wood with ease.

Cutting them into 18" is certainly a task however, I've resorted to slicing them right down the middle for transportation, lifting, all of the above purposes. Is there any other method to handling huge trees? P.S. I don't want to be there all day splitting them either. I doubt it but man they are heavy! Good thing the score location is only 2 miles from me!

And with CAD, I've been eyeing a 660 Maggy for a while now! So not truly a thread jack. I say go big or go home. With a saw that size, I'm sure you'll be more inclined to cut more than 6-7 a year. Especially for $500.

iodonnell said:
Speaking of rounds that large, I've found a HUGE score of red oak and sugar maple... problem is they are MONSTERS... 40+" each. I've been tackling them with the Dolmar 7900 and I've had no issues other than the need to sharpen my chains more often, which is good too giving the saw some breathing time. I don't know what a 90CC cuts like but the 79CC of the Dolmar handles the wood with ease.

Cutting them into 18" is certainly a task however, I've resorted to slicing them right down the middle for transportation, lifting, all of the above purposes. Is there any other method to handling huge trees? P.S. I don't want to be there all day splitting them either. I doubt it but man they are heavy! Good thing the score location is only 2 miles from me!

And with CAD, I've been eyeing a 660 Maggy for a while now! So not truly a thread jack. I say go big or go home. With a saw that size, I'm sure you'll be more inclined to cut more than 6-7 a year. Especially for $500.

That dolmar 7900 or 460 have a higher level with more grunt over 371( giving up 10cc Vs 20cc ). Neither will keep up with a 660 36inch bar lay ed across a 40+ oak.

They will both handle that kinda work but the 660 will Not work as hard.

Between the 2, i say go with the 660. I have a 260 and a 660.... 660 is a true beast that gets almost any job done but it is rather hefty to haul around.

I'll throw one other option out there, assuming that the 40"+ is a 1 time only thing:

1) Rent a big saw to cut up this load and then buy a more moderately sized cutting saw (361/2) for everything else.

In your shoes, i still say go for the 660 and keep your eyes out for a 250/260/261 to complement it

Well we are just going to have to disagree here but since I doubt you have run a 681 and I have run several 660s and own a 395 (which is very close to a 660) all in stock form if I were to recommend I would say get a 7900 only because of the huge price difference but a 7900 is a saw that will easily tackle the big stuff at a much friendlier price.

wkpoor said:
Well we are just going to have to disagree here but since I doubt you have run a 681 and I have run several 660s and own a 395 (which is very close to a 660) all in stock form if I were to recommend I would say get a 7900 only because of the huge price difference but a 7900 is a saw that will easily tackle the big stuff at a much friendlier price.

Ok through out the new price of that 7900? (Not real friendly anymore) And the Op looking at 371 or a 660. LOL

Tansao said:
Hey folks,

I'd say it depends on the saw usage. Are you always going to get grapple loads or are you going to do some gathering/scrounging on your own?

If you 're going the go out on your own the 660 is a heavy saw compared to the 371 and by the end of the day you will know it.

Did you have pictures of the condition of both? I'd lean towards the 371 for weight considerations but if pulling a long bar is the primary concern the 660 is the better choice.

I know for me where I'm in the woods to gather my own firewood, the 660 would sit there and I'd be using my 372 or 346xp. I'd pull out the 660 for big cuts but it wouldn't get much use.

TMonter said:
Tansao said:
Hey folks,

I'd say it depends on the saw usage. Are you always going to get grapple loads or are you going to do some gathering/scrounging on your own?

If you 're going the go out on your own the 660 is a heavy saw compared to the 371 and by the end of the day you will know it.

Did you have pictures of the condition of both? I'd lean towards the 371 for weight considerations but if pulling a long bar is the primary concern the 660 is the better choice.

I know for me where I'm in the woods to gather my own firewood, the 660 would sit there and I'd be using my 372 or 346xp. I'd pull out the 660 for big cuts but it wouldn't get much use.

Agree...lol But stright up log loads and no limbs...Woot Woooot! Lol wot 660!

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

Ok through out the new price of that 7900? (Not real friendly anymore) And the Op looking at 371 or a 660. LOL

I paid mid $600s OTD for my brand new 7900 in Jan '11... Shhhhhh!!

iodonnell said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

I paid mid $600s OTD for my brand new 7900 in Jan '11... Shhhhhh!!

That is a great deal...Our Dolmar dealer wants 850.00 with no bar. 600.00 is a No brainer!

Thats a super deal. 3yrs ago I was able to buy them for 545.00 w/no bar but they quickly went up 100.00. After Solo introduced the 681 Dolmar stepped up and added power to the 7900. The new ones run noticeably stronger.

wkpoor said:
Thats a super deal. 3yrs ago I was able to buy them for 545.00 w/no bar but they quickly went up 100.00. After Solo introduced the 681 Dolmar stepped up and added power to the 7900. The new ones run noticeably stronger.

I remember those days, but no dealer here in 2006. Every-time theres a good deal out there the gate shuts quick!

Yeah... nowadays it seems like if you're reading about it, it's already over.

Exmasonite said:
Yeah... nowadays it seems like if you're reading about it, it's already over.

lol I will throw back to your 066! All day long....lol And please let the rain stop. They where a great deal in the late 80's! Oh and still the King in Big hardwood cross cut today.....40+oak

Status
Not open for further replies.