Stihl-brand MS 192 T Chain Saws recall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
Consumer Contact: Call Stihl Inc. at (800) 610-6677 between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit Stihl's Web site at www.stihlusa.com

To view this recall online, please visit our website at: https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06063.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 11, 2006
Release #06-063
Firm's Hotline: (800) 610-6677
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, Stihl Inc. Announce Recall of Chain Saws

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Stihl-brand MS 192 T Chain Saws

Units: About 23,500

Manufacturer: Stihl Inc., of Virginia Beach, Va.

Hazard: These chain saws can leak fuel, posing a fire hazard. A connection in the ignition grounding system could loosen and create a spark, posing a fire hazard. Also the springs in the clutch assembly could come out of position allowing a spring of the clutch to be projected from the saw housing resulting in injury to the user.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: The recalled Stihl-brand chain saws have model number MS 192 T, located on the side of the chain saw's starter housing. They include serial numbers 264371702 through 266087005, which is located on the top/front of the chain saw's housing.

Remedy: Consumers should stop using these chain saws immediately and return them to an authorized Stihl dealer for a free repair.

Of course with a fuel leak it is probably running like sh!t, at least my Jonsered did

"Of course with a fuel leak it is probably running like sh!t"

Wouldn't be great if the recall actually said THAT?

downeast said:
Babalu:
How's the Morso 3610 performing for you ? Problems ? Likes ? Dislikes ? % of heat ? Location ? Price ?
It was one of our non-cat choices, but did not like the air control, front loading, ash pan arrangement. Got a Jotul Oslo to replace an Encore cat. %-P
I have red oak envy ...... :exclaim:
Downeast

Couldnt be happier, we have an 1800+ sq ft Cape (built 1997)
We havent had much in the way of cold weather lately but during that cold snap in December we had lows of 10 at night and after loading for the night I would only lose a degree or two
I can get an 8+ hour overnight burn and only have to throw more wood in to keep it going

You can side load on the stove too which is what I do (I do build from the front because it is easier that way but always re-load from the side)
The air control may be the best feature, its really a no-brainer.............very simple

I would be interested to see a better ash pan arrangement.
They are BIG and very easy to take out and empty

EDIT:
I see the Jotul has a separate chamber for the ashes
I can take out the ashes while the stove is burning, I just have to crack the door for a bit with full air to keep the smoke from coming in the room while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.