Stihl chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrcrash

Apr 17, 2012
MA
Look at a used 038 and I was wondering what I should be paying for it or if it is worth it. The add reads- for sale older stihl 038 super chainsaw av 20 inch bar newer chain used once not as quiet as the newer saws $300

I would appriciate any advice

Not much advice but I always hesitate when they say it has been used only once.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
038 is a good old saw. They were made for a long time. I don't think the super was as common as the av or mag. I believe they were 66-7 cc.

I wouldn't pay $300 unless it was perfect. That saw is likely at least 20 years old. Probably wasn't $300 new.

Look at a used 038 and I was wondering what I should be paying for it or if it is worth it. The add reads- for sale older stihl 038 super chainsaw av 20 inch bar newer chain used once not as quiet as the newer saws $300

I would appriciate any advice

My guess would be that "only used once" means by the current owner, not since it was new.

My guess is the "Newer Chain" was only used once.

If it can be had for cheaper and its a decent runner, I would be interested.

My guess would be that "only used once" means by the current owner, not since it was new.

I think he means only cut once with the new chain, which means its new anymore :p

$ 200.00 tops, $ 250.00 if it's mint condition. For $ 300.00, I'm gonna pull the muffler, compression test it, & pull covers & caps to inspect fuel lines, seals, carb etc. If you squirm or hesitate at my inspection request I'm walkin. A C

Reactions: ScotO and Nixon
$ 200.00 tops, $ 250.00 if it's mint condition. For $ 300.00, I'm gonna pull the muffler, compression test it, & pull covers & caps to inspect fuel lines, seals, carb etc. If you squirm or hesitate at my inspection request I'm walkin. A C

Here is a Gem... For that price (almost $700)!! I would buy a new MS 362! But these are some of the outrageous prices around me.. Stihl Holds There Value... But not that much :(

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/3212311957.html

STIHL 076 Chainsaw - $625 (Brunswick, Ohio)

Date: 2012-08-17,4:28PM EDT Reply to: [email protected]

STIHL 076 Chainsaw with 30" new bar & chain. 111cc "MONSTER",runs perfectly

5I85L95Je3Fe3I93Hfc8hcc81dba33f92153b.jpg

Yea im thinking $200 for it, going by sight unseen. Forget how old the chain is, he could of hut the dirt for a split second and dulled that chain to sawdust capability.

Here is a Gem... For that price (almost $700)!! I would buy a new MS 362! But these are some of the outrageous prices around me.. Stihl Holds There Value... But not that much :(

View attachment 72189

If he's asking $625, I wouldnt be offering "almost $700". :p

Dealers around here would be asking $625 for that saw. Granted, they go over the saw, replace any worn parts, tune it, and offer a 30 - 90 day warranty.

View attachment 72189
Dex, that is a pretty good deal for that saw, if it's what I think it is. Look closely at the air cleaner cover, I'm pretty sure that is actually a 076AV 'Super'. The had a velocity stack between the carburetor and cylinder, which made the air cleaner cover sit up higher. If that is the case, that is a chitload of saw for $625.00. Looks like it's in decent condition too! I'd be all over that thing.

If he's asking $625, I wouldnt be offering "almost $700". :p

Dealers around here would be asking $625 for that saw. Granted, they go over the saw, replace any worn parts, tune it, and offer a 30 - 90 day warranty.
If that saw is actually a 'Super' with the wrong air cleaner cover, that's one hard to find saw.

Did you look at the other photos in the link? One is a side shot, other is from the top...

View attachment 72253 View attachment 72254
yeah, the air filter cover looks to be sitting higher than a standard 076, that would be the giveaway. That's the main difference. you'd have to take off the carburetor to really be sure, but I am pretty sure that's a 'Super'. I've included a pic of the standard 076, and one of the 076 Super. Note the height of the air filter cover.....

standard 076.jpgstihl 076 super with a HUGE bar.jpg

Did you look at the other photos in the link? One is a side shot, other is from the top...
Dex, offer him $450.00 cash, and work from there. Check it over good, if that is a 'Super', it's worth a look.

I know it is deceiving but a nice new white stihl bar does not make a nice new white stihl.

Status
Not open for further replies.