STIHL CHAIN SAWS ARE JUNK!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
I'm NOT real happy with Stihl right now. I have three Stihl saws and they don't run worth crap. My 440 Magnum has always been hard to start. If I pull on the cord tell I'm a bloody froth, it'll pop and fart around but not run. A shot of ether fixes things and than it'll run fine. But, I don't want to shoot it with ether to start every time. My 034 has also always been hard to start. It was running fine when I put it up two weeks ago and now won't hit a lick. I also have a little 009 and it's been my best saw, BUT, it has it's quirks. It'll start and run fine every time until you run out that first tank of gas, than, it's done for the rest of the day. You might as well go back to the house and have a beer because you are not going to be doing any more cutting that day. I feed my saws Ethanol free, super High Test with Stihl mix. It's 95 degrees here today and I turned myself into a hot bloody froth pulling on the rope starters. ('m 67 years old and can you say heart attack city? I don't need the aggravation. To be fair, it sounds as if all my saws have carb problems. I have been on the saw forms and found that ALL Stihl saws have carb problems, So, why do I want a Stihl when I know it's going to give me problems? I was thinking that I should get a Homelite. Than when it gives problems I could put it in the trash dumpster. I could get another for $89.00 and be way ahead. I think I'll get rid of these expensive Stihl lemon saws. David

Wow, I just bought a used Stihl and it fired right up. I was actually a little suprised at how easy it started...

FWIW many saws share the same brand carbs but I cant say for sure which brand in on Stihls (Walbro, Titleson???)

Well I will take that 440 lemon of your hands lol. These are all older stihls if you fill its the carbs I would take them out and clean them in an ultra sonic cleaner.

I have an eleven year old super farm boss and it starts perfectly. Never even changed the plug. My neighbor borrowed it and mixed the gas and bar oil fills up. I just dumped it out, shot of either and carb cleaner, and it was back to running fine after some smoke. I have only had 1 stihl that was hard to start and after seting the carb it ran perfect. How long have you had these? BTW, I do not have a 440 yet... Jay, I get 1st dibs :lol:

Captain Hornet said:
I have three Stihl saws and they don't run worth crap. I could put it in the trash dumpster.

I'd love to find them in my dumpster. Can I PM you my address, lol?

Sorry to hear the difficulties with your saws. Sounds like they need a competent person giving them a thorough check. Sadly, your saws should not be causing you this grief.

I run a Husqvarna 350 now . . . but I used to run an 028 Stihl and never had any issues with them . . . quite honestly I like both brands. I'm thinking a good cleaning might be in order . . . fuel filters, air filter, carb, etc.

Captain Hornet,
Once you get your saws running , get a can of Sea Foam , add an once to a gallon of saw mix, it'll keep your carbs in great shape. I even run it in my 2 stroke mix for my paramotor I fly. Great stuff. Never in 15 years have I had any carb problems with anything, including ethanol gas. No fuel lines eaten up or carb diaphrams gone bad. Infact my stihl string trimmer has sat all winter with 2 stroke mix with seafoam added, and come summer, I shake the tank as to mix the fuel up and it'll start up and run fine every year. I'm a believer in Seafoam, lots of uses too. Check it out, you won't be sorry ;-)

I am thinking that they (all your saws) may need a little professional attention and tuning. Stihls are not known to be hard starters. And for you to have 3 of them.....maybe its just an adjustment / maintenance issue. Take them to a reputable shop and hand them over. I'll bet you sing a different tune when you get them back. That 440 is a heck of a saw.

Odd. My 029 has never had starting or running problems in the 16 years I have owned it. It has never been tuned, adjusted, or serviced. Over the years it has gone from running several hours a day to sitting for months or even years unused. I have never drained the fuel no matter how long it is out of service. I do have to clean the air filter from time to time though, and did change the plug and fuel filter last year just because I figured that I should after 15 years. My MS180 takes a little more effort to start, but is never a problem. I bought it used about 2 1/2 years ago.
Too bad you are not happy with your saws. Like the others, I think you should give in and take them to a reputable dealer and have them checked out. You can spend the $89 you would spend on the Homelite to get your saw running right instead.

Sir your attitude perplexes me.I would think that a man of your age would be smart enough to take the malfunctioning saw to your local dealer. I have reason to suspect that your OLD gas is one possibility.Another is how far are you pulling on the rope?I have seen some users only pull about a foot.When was the last time you cleaned the air filter and changed the gas filters?Normal maintenance helps. If you are so mad at Stihl, may I make a suggestion? Grab your check book head to the local Sears and purchase a 445-450 Husqvarna. I bought a 445 and it is the easiest saw to start. All I have to do is look at it. Ken

i would hope that your saws are just in need of a good tune up. theyre are times mine dont want to start , but most of the time i think its stale gas or some crap in the carb, i hope you can resolve the problem and can get some use from these great saws. i currently own 4 stihls and doubt in my lifetime i will wear them out. pete

Does anyone else run Seafoam in their fuel? I don't want to sound like I'm selling the product. I'm reading all these starting problems. Running seafoam in your fuel will speak for itself. I hate to see people having fuel related problems, when I've witnessed for over 15 years, no starting or fuel related problems, from simply keeping some seafoam in my fuel. I found Tractor Supply has the best prices.

xclimber said:
Does anyone else run Seafoam in their fuel? I don't want to sound like I'm selling the product. I'm reading all these starting problems. Running seafoam in your fuel will speak for itself. I hate to see people having fuel related problems, when I've witnessed for over 15 years, no starting or fuel related problems, from simply keeping some seafoam in my fuel. I found Tractor Supply has the best prices.

lol You own stock in sea-foam or what?

Seafoam sounds like all the other fuel additives/stabilizers. I use Sta-Bil myself

Captain Hornet said:
I'm NOT real happy with Stihl right now. I have three Stihl saws and they don't run worth crap. My 440 Magnum has always been hard to start. If I pull on the cord tell I'm a bloody froth, it'll pop and fart around but not run. A shot of ether fixes things and than it'll run fine. But, I don't want to shoot it with ether to start every time. My 034 has also always been hard to start. It was running fine when I put it up two weeks ago and now won't hit a lick. I also have a little 009 and it's been my best saw, BUT, it has it's quirks. It'll start and run fine every time until you run out that first tank of gas, than, it's done for the rest of the day. You might as well go back to the house and have a beer because you are not going to be doing any more cutting that day. I feed my saws Ethanol free, super High Test with Stihl mix. It's 95 degrees here today and I turned myself into a hot bloody froth pulling on the rope starters. ('m 67 years old and can you say heart attack city? I don't need the aggravation. To be fair, it sounds as if all my saws have carb problems. I have been on the saw forms and found that ALL Stihl saws have carb problems, So, why do I want a Stihl when I know it's going to give me problems? I was thinking that I should get a Homelite. Than when it gives problems I could put it in the trash dumpster. I could get another for $89.00 and be way ahead. I think I'll get rid of these expensive Stihl lemon saws. David

David, I'm feeling that you may have just posted this to see what the reaction would be. If this is all true, you have nailed the problem, but it has to be either fuel or electric. Get it fixed by someone else if you can't nail down the problem. As you have seen, there are many happy junk sawyers around this forum and I too run a junk Stihl. It is a very good saw indeed and has been trouble free.

Heart attack city? Naw. I'm a bit older than you and I don't worry about heart attacks. Maybe one could happen but I just don't worry about it. However, I try to get exercise daily. I ride bicycle (usually around 3-4000 miles per year) and happily put up our wood supply along with other things. And we don't have a dumpster anyway...

I'm no small engine repair guy but 1 of 3 saws having a problem ok. 3 of 3 saws having the same problem, storage, water, dust, operator error. What ever is causing the problem seems to be contagious. Maybe a change in ways is needed. My stihl sits all winter and come spring. 3 pulls full choke, false start, 2 more 1/2 choke and it's off to the races.

New to the site- but really like it! I use Seafoam in all my equipment. My Woodmizer sawmill, my Stihl saws, my Speeco splitter, my generator, my ATV etc....it really is great stuff. I use StaBil too- but usually when Im gonna store the ATV away. Stihl saws have never let me down-and Ive owned a lot of em. There may be some operator error involved here.

I have had or ran a 192, 025(I think), 028, 031, 034, 440, and 660 and non were really hard starters.
the 009 is, well an 009.... the 034 I had was a POS but not hard to start, and the 440 is a good saw.
The passages in the carb are tiny and any brand will have problems from time to time. Take the carb off and clean it or have it done and see where that gets you.
If your STIHL not happy sell em and buy a disposable saw.

The 031 ran forever(almost), Great saw
Worst problem I ever had with Stihl was the 034 would shear the little plastic dogs off in the recoil all the time if you yanked on it when it was hot.
I find myself running the 660 most now, Its an arm full but it cuts faster and I can take longer breaks :coolgrin:

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the kind comments. I have never ran Seafoam or any other fuel additive in my saws and you're probably right about that being the problem. I let my son use my 009 and after talking to me today he confessed to using reg unleaded gas in it. He told me it was running rough so he set the idle up some. I looked at the 034 today. I was going to get a new spark plug and found the old one was loose in the head. It looks as if I have found the problem with two of the saws. I'll bet that if I get the carb cleaned on the 440 it'll be okay but I haven't done anything with it yet. Tomorrow means a trip to Tractor Supply for Seafoam. I know the Stihl is a super good saw, I was just pissed that I couldn't put my hand on one that would be happy and run. I'll let you know how all this turns out. David

Captain Hornet said:
I was just pissed that I couldn't put my hand on one that would be happy and run. I'll let you know how all this turns out. David

I know the feeling, trust me.
We use 420 cut off saws at work and every once in a while some one dumps strait gas in it and that is usually the end of it, sometimes I catch it in time...
That and some guys love to pull the ropes out of em :mad:

i like seafoam too. Great stuff. one of the few additives not kerosene based. I work for advance auto part time for ten years and id say it out sells all the others by far because it works. Great preventitive.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on using seafoam. Here all I'm trying to do is give someone information about something that isn't snake oil and works great, and I get my balls busted ?

xclimber said:
Thanks for all the positive feedback on using seafoam. Here all I'm trying to do is give someone information about something that isn't snake oil and works great, and I get my balls busted ?

I think you're reading more into this if you think folks here are busting your balls . . . I think a few may have joked a bit about you owning stock . . . but no ball busting . . . folks here don't tend to do that . . . and incidentally, partly because of folks' recommendations here I bought some Seafoam last week to try in my small engines.

Now about the gas . . . and this could be opening up a whole other can of worms . . . I used to run super unleaded in my small engines . . . and then when the prices got crazy high I started running the regular stuff . . . and surprise, surprise . . . I don't see any change in how the engines start up, run, power output, etc. I'm not entirely convinced it makes a huge difference as to whether you run the "good stuff" or "regular stuff" in small engines.

xclimber said:

lol its really not that deep. So many thread's on this stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.