Stihl chain sharpening kit....how the heck do I use this thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Well, I was going to post this question, but then figured I'd look at the Stihl web page to see if they had the info. Well, here's it is:

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/SharpAdvice061301final.pdf

My saw is a Husky with an original Oregon chain but the new chain is a Stihl. For what it's worth, there is no comparison in the two chains. The Stihl wins hands down!!!!!!!

they have a dremel atachment designed for chainsaws that work nice. I never had much luck with that style of sharpener. This year i bought the chain making tools, next year i plan on buying a pro sharpner that will realy work. A dull chain is a dangerous chain. Expecially if you dont hit the rakes to the proper gap.

MountainStoveGuy said:
they have a dremel atachment designed for chainsaws that work nice. I never had much luck with that style of sharpener. This year i bought the chain making tools, next year i plan on buying a pro sharpner that will realy work. A dull chain is a dangerous chain. Expecially if you dont hit the rakes to the proper gap.

I have friends in the business and nothing but a file ever touches their chains.

I have used his 026 and 044 and you better have a tight grip when bucking. Things happen in a hurry!

Once I learned how to file properly, cutting wood is a lot easier, less expensive and more productive.

Im not pro enough to use a file. The dremel attachment takes a very light touch and it works well for me. I get my chains pretty darn sharp with it. I realy like the machines the shops use commercialy. Maybe one day i will get sgood enough to use a file free hand.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Im not pro enough to use a file. The dremel attachment takes a very light touch and it works well for me. I get my chains pretty darn sharp with it. I realy like the machines the shops use commercialy. Maybe one day i will get sgood enough to use a file free hand.

Over the years I tried'em all because I can't sharpen anything. Knives, scissors, nothin. Used the Dremel, taking them to a shop and just about everything else. Finally sat down and figured it out and I get 10 times the life out of a chain. And a hand touch-up each time I go to the woods and the chain cuts like a new one. There is really nothing to it. Just the angles and a three buck file guide points you right to them.

If you want a consumer version of those chain eating suckers the commercial shops use Harbor Freight puts one on sale for fifty bucks frequently.

Hand sharpening is like they used to tell as a kid ya about sex. Once you try it you will want to kill yourself for what you have been missing.

BrotherBart said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

Over the years I tried'em all because I can't sharpen anything. Knives, scissors, nothin. Used the Dremel, taking them to a shop and just about everything else. Finally sat down and figured it out and I get 10 times the life out of a chain. And a hand touch-up each time I go to the woods and the chain cuts like a new one. There is really nothing to it. Just the angles and a three buck file guide points you right to them.

If you want a consumer version of those chain eating suckers the commercial shops use Harbor Freight puts one on sale for fifty bucks frequently.

Hand sharpening is like they used to tell as a kid ya about sex. Once you try it you will want to kill yourself for what you have been missing.

Bullseye, BrotherBart.

One pro sharpening for me on the grinder, and I lost at least 1/2 the life of the chain.

Right on Post.

Hi Brother bart,

I have to agree: a hand job is much better than a machine (pun intended). And the chain lasts longer too.

carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.