Stihl Chainsaw Model 310 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer

I have never seen this problem before and was wondering if it is common.

I pull the starter cord and their was no resistance nor did the chainsaw start.....ok.....it's been sitting in waterproof shed for 3 months.....I take off the cover that has the recoil cord inside and see a black plastic lever, secured to a pivot point with a washer and an excushion spring clip. It looks simple enough, the black lever is supposed to spring out to catch the gears in the end of the engine and recoil back up......well it recoils fine BUT the black lever does not catch on the gears.....I cleaned it all out....took it apart and cleaned everything and yet it will not engage so off to the repair shop it went today. Simple things always turn into horror shows don't they? LOL

Anyone else hear of this?

Recoils are no big problem...everything breaks down eventually. My splitter does the same thing occasionally....so I pull it out and let it snap back. Most of the time it'll catch to start when I do that.

I had the same problem with my 290 this spring......you'll need to get a new plastic piece. The end is worn to the point where it won't catch the gear.

Y

Status
Not open for further replies.