Stihl Chainsaw Warranty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
The Stihl warranty for home use is 1 year. Does anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences to share in this regard?

A-cord-ingLEE said:
I've owned 20+ new saws over the years and NEVER had to use the warranty. And I use the crap out of them.

good enough for me!

A-cord-ingLEE said:
I've owned 20+ new saws over the years and NEVER had to use the warranty. And I use the crap out of them.

I believe you said earlier that you use exclusively Poulan, correct?

What warranty? I voided mine the first week with a drill and a dremel.

I guess it depends on your dealer. I had to use mine 3 months after I bought my 290. The old man was switching from summer to winter, and when he pulled off the spark plug boot it ripped off. Would have been an easy fix, but might as well use the warranty. got it back the next day, no harm no foul. BTW does anyone even switch it? I never have since that incident, have haven't had a problem.

i3bpvh said:
I guess it depends on your dealer. I had to use mine 3 months after I bought my 290. The old man was switching from summer to winter, and when he pulled off the spark plug boot it ripped off. Would have been an easy fix, but might as well use the warranty. got it back the next day, no harm no foul. BTW does anyone even switch it? I never have since that incident, have haven't had a problem.

I do when it gets this cold Hi's in the high teens. Dont switch back to 50's are the normal again.

i3bpvh said:

I do when it gets this cold Hi's in the high teens. Dont switch back til 50's are the normal again.

i3bpvh said:

I do when it gets this cold Hi's in the high teens. Dont switch back til 50's are the normal again.

DanCorcoran said:
A-cord-ingLEE said:

I believe you said earlier that you use exclusively Poulan, correct?

Eye dohn tink so Nancy! :coolhmm:

I did have a problem where my 390 would not start. Turned out the coil was not making a good connection, fixed it no problem, but I thought it was odd to have the issue.

By the way on warranties, watch out for your flat screen TVs. My 2 year old Samsung started having problems Here I researched and hundreds of thousands of people are having problems with capacitors going bad in Samsung and Philips. There was a class action law suit and they are now fixing them free. However the TV repair guy said these new TVs are only lasting a few years, even though they are simple designs. Just thought I would add my 2 cents since everyone is buying these you might want to get the extended warranties (I never do, and now thinking about it on those items.)

I bought my 029 in 1996. It has never been back to the dealer for service in or out of warranty. This with light to moderate homeowner use, and minimal maintenance.

Just broke the brake handle on a 200t just putting it on and off in the tops this afternoon. We'll see what Stihl says about this one. Saw is about two weeks old. Dealer asked plenty questions about if it was in a tree was it dropped etc. Hope it is an easy fix c
Chad

I would have used it to have the POS carb replaced on my MS250 when the diaphram cover warped and leaked, but it was easier to fix it my self than to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to drop it off and then again to pick it up. I fixed it myself, said many bad words about the ancestry of the cost engineer that reduced the screws from four to two that secure the cover, then went back to cutting wood.

If I needed a high-dollar part, I guess the warranty would have been of use, or if I could not fix it myself, it would have been better than throwing the saw away, but I generally see little value in warranties. (even though I sleep much better knowing my Echo has a 5 year warranty!!!) ha ha...

A-cord-ingLEE said:

I just realized what this implies. If you bought your first chainsaw when you were 18 and are (just a guess) 58 now, you have been using chainsaws for 40 years. You say they were bought new and that you "use the crap out of them", therefore you are not just collecting them and letting them sit on the shelf.

This implies that the average Stihl (I assume they were Stihl, since that's the subject of this thread) chainsaw lasts you only 2 years? Whassup?

This implies that at 1 time eye had 3 logging crews, a mill crew, a veneer yard and very large firewood biz.
When an estimated saw repair bill was more than $250 the bar was removed and the saw was put in a tote and used for parts when we repaired our own. In the 80's we ran all 056, in the late 80's and early 90's we ran all 064, and since it's been 046 and 066. Running the same size saws all the time made so that there was always extra parts for repairs.
Did a gig with Husky for 6 months in the mid 90's but that didn't last long.
Logging crews are hell on saws. Guaranteed to drop a tree on one or run over one with a skidder at least once a year.

I guess you're allowed to comment on Stihl chainsaw reliability...'nuf said!

Status
Not open for further replies.