stihl chainsaw... weird object in muffler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK i have the new muffler on and modded to look like yours in the pic. and have carved out the deflector plate. and there is no spark arrestor.

I am ordering a tac at some point next amazon purchase. So right now i have no tac. But saw starts and idles fine and chain does not spin even with a looser than ideal chain. I hold the saw WOT and then turn till i hear bogging or 4storking. Then turn till clear then back till just bogging. When i release the throttle and then pull it WOT again i am bogging worse than i was when i had just messed with it. sometimes it will clear up after a second or 2 but not instantly. If i set it right as it bogs while holding WOT is is a dog in wood?

Any ideas is it a TAC issue with RPMs as my L and LA screw may be out of whack, or is it a possiblility i need to clean the carb again or there it is sucking air somewhere?

The saw had issues about 2 years ago. I thought it was a carb so i rebuilt it, and reinstalled. I then had the same issue and saw that i was sucking air through a split in the main fuel line from the tank to the carb. replaced that and no problem fixed.

Just point me in the right direction and i think i can handle it.

Start with the LA screw, setting the idle low enough to not spin the chain but well above normal. Adjust the L screw for best rpm, if the chain begins to spin, back the LA off until it stops, then continue adjusting the L. Once you have the idle RPMs peaked, back the L screw off (richer) about 1/8 to a 1/4 turn, the idle speed should slow slightly. Set the LA to normal idle speed.

Now you're ready to set the H circuit. Hold it at WOT for a couple seconds and note how it sounds. If you can, with it at WOT, richen the H screw until the saw runs like chit and then crank it in until the RPM peaks. Quickly back the H screw out again until the exhaust note loses that crisp, clean tone and begins to sound fuzzy.

At this point you should have a saw that runs pretty decent.

Reactions: Ashful and Nixon
Thanks will try iyagain. I. Deafened myself before. Had muffs on just cold not hear like I wanted to with them on

Got it! ? Excellent directions.
I was pretty darn close on the idle, I did what u said but not sure if the screw position is much different than before. Problem was I think I was turning the H screw WAY to far bogging more than necessary then when I went to clear it up then back rich I was too rich.

Put it in some wood and cuts fine.

All 3 muffler studs back on and new nuts as well. Need to sharpen chain, its cutting Crooked.
Here is a pic of my deflector.This is the original. It came with one but I cut the old one.

Reactions: MasterMech
Here it is

Attachments

• IMG_20130706_123759.jpg
    IMG_20130706_123759.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3,658
Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.