Stihl dealer says....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the posts by Jags are excellent advice.:)

The heavier oil mix will hurt nothing and with the load of milling you won't see smoke once it is up to operating temp.

This Summer I met some old school loggers who were cutting in heat in the upper 90's. They ran Stihl 660's with a mix on 1 quart of 30# non detergent oil to 5 gallons of gas. 24:1. The heat was brutal and those guys ran those saws all day long.

Here is a pic of one of them ripping a log that had a bad spot and was too wide for the mill they were shipping to.

9gg9p3.jpg

The wife just fed me and I didn't finish what I wanted to post.

Here is a real good sound clip and tutorial on saw tuning.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

Thank you for all the excellent advice from everyone. That article was great.
I will try to play with the saws tomorrow, especially try to hear the proper operating sounds. And try adjusting if needed.
I will switch to 40:1 from now on and maybe even 32:1 for milling.

Thank you for all the excellent advice from everyone. That article was great.
I will try to play with the saws tomorrow, especially try to hear the proper operating sounds. And try adjusting if needed.
I will switch to 40:1 from now on and maybe even 32:1 for milling.

You may run into the limiter caps on those saws. There is a small adjustment possible but beyond that a special tool may be required. If you make an adjustment and the needle won't turn anymore, that is the case.

Remember, a rich saw may smoke a tad and not be 100% in power, but a lean saw = a short life and death of your saw.

Reactions: PLAYS WITH FIRE
Flattery will get you everywhere, sir.:cool:

Nah I am not blowing smoke, you just had some good common sense suggestions. Often with chainsaws people get real bent on name brand recognition and this carries over into other mantras on how to take care of them. Some is poor advice and some will destroy your chainsaw. Every time I see threads with people talking the reason on why to run a 100:1 because of some miracle snake oil I just shake my head in disbelief.

FWIW I run 40:1 myself. I split the 6.4 oz bottles into two 3.2oz portions with an accurate measuring cup. I then make a new label, and then mix with 1 gallon of ethanol free premium gas. Since this is a small amount I can use it up generally in less than a week and always have fresh gas. BTW, some of the bar oil jugs have a site glass on the side with graduations so you can mix out of bulk 5 gallon can. They make a pretty decent gas can for the woods and don't have the CARB compliant nonsense on them. The price is right too.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.