Stihl dealer - "You don't need to have the carb re-adjusted"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par38lamp

Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis, Missouri (MO)
While shopping for a chainsaw, I visited the nearest authorized Stihl "Elite" dealer, K&K supply in Fenton, MO. I was asking about bringing in the saw after the initial break in period to have the carb readjusted (something I learned here). I was told no, and was even treated like I didn't know what I was talking about.

Think I should avoid? There are about 4 other dealers very close, 2 in Fenton alone. K&K is a construction rental/supply house.

My gut is to go to either a lawn store, or a smaller rental house. K&K might be "too big" to mess with a one time guy like me. Not a "regular" who rents/buys from them a lot. I am not trying to bash them, they just might not be what I need (a little hand holding).

If its not something you can do your self then sure , go to a different dealer.
Not all service techs are "real service techs" some are just guys that change spark plugs , sharpen chains , swap out filters and put on few new parts wile others are sent to school every year to get upgraded on the latest and greatest.

Just because it says "Stihl" on the store sign does not mean they have knowledgeable service techs.

I would find a dealerthat can adjust the carb after 10 tanks of gas ( when new ) then every year take your saw in for yearly service.

ie: check and/or change your
spark plug
air filter
fuel filter
drum and sprocket
bar rails / reline
check carb adjustment ( let them know what raito oil/gas you are running ~ 40:1 / 50:1 )
check chains
get chains sharpened

Status
Not open for further replies.