Stihl Farm Boss repair question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I did as you all advised to fix my lack of bar oil problem. I removed the side panel. I fired it up and oil came out of the hole above the posts. So I cleaned up the bar. That was the big issue. The bar was filled with crud. Cleaned it up really good.

Dumped the oil and checked the intake. I thinned the oil down some for better flow.

I would like to adjust the flow with the nut on the bottom - but I will need to buy some torx sockets. The flow still isn't what I am used to, but the chain did have oil now and spit a few sprinkles onto some paper for me. A far cry from the oil my ECHO throws. Is this what I should expect with a Stihl or should I continue to work on getting more oil from it. I've still not run her much - just tinkering as the snow is falling. Once I get a torx socket - I'll try and adjust the flow with the nut on the bottom.

Does anyone know if these torx screws are standard size? Metric? Etc. I will check Lowes for them. Baileys? I will need a set - because I am replacing the hand brake handle too.

An opportunity to buy more tools - you got to love that!

Thanks for the help with solving the bar oil problem!

[quote author="basswidow"

basswidow here are two pictures, one of the bar and one of the oil quantity control which is adjusted by a screw at the bottom of the hole.

On the bar did you clean out the small oil hole?

zap

Attachments

• 100_2346.jpg
    100_2346.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 100_2347.jpg
    100_2347.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 987
I just crank it up. You will not miss a little oil, you will miss the bar.

The 290 uses a small straight flat head screwdriver to adjust the oil flow. Same driver you use to adjust the jets. Believe it or not, I was overoiling my 20" bar when I was running the saw hard this fall. As the oil heats up the bar oil thins. An air compressor is a great thing to keep the bar groove and oil holes clean.

When stuck in the woods and needing to adjust the oiler I have used a broken off clip from a pen.

Zap and others: thanks for the tips. The bottom on mine is scratched up and I totally missed that oil adjustment hole. Now I found it.

I don't have one of those long flat adjustment screw drivers. I'll have to get one. I cleaned the gunk out of the hole and shined a flash light down in the hole and I swear - I don't even see a screw head. Maybe it's really deep?

I bought some torq heads at walmart and was preparing to unscrew the wrong dang thing! Good thing I waited for this post. The manual is black and white and pictures really make a difference.

Take a look at my saw and see if it looks like any parts are missing under the side plate? I removed the bar and chain. This is the oil port that I cleaned and also cleaned the bar. I'll need to adjust the screw once I get the proper driver. Just want to make sure nothing is missing - since I bought it used and have never seen one before.

I cleaned the air filter today and switched the tab from summer to winter operation. Near the carb - there appears to be a vent hose for the gas tank? I should switch the gas and oil pick ups and change the old filter too. I am planning on pulling the muffler apart too and checking the screen.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3,778
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 4,036
From the pic your just missing the side cover...lol j/k Looks good

I'm not sure how deep that screw head could be, if Highbeam used a broken off pen clip to turn the screw... Also, that chain catcher is a really important safety device.

It's much different looking under the side cover then what I am used too. Thanks for giving it a look over. I will have to look for a chain catcher to put on.

I guess it's possible that the oil adjustment screw could be missing? Maybe I should just take it to a Stihl Service center? Once I get the flat driver that will fit - It should be fairly obvious if the screw is missing.

Another question. My sprocket and bar is .325 20 inch and I think is marked 81 Chain links at the bottom? Does that sound right? I am gonna get an RSC chain and I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks again.

Found the chain catch $6 .

Is it supposed to have two bumpers? Take a look at the picture, I only have one at the top. Just wondering why they sell 2? Do I need one on the bottom too? Thanks

basswidow said:
It's much different looking under the side cover then what I am used too. Thanks for giving it a look over. I will have to look for a chain catcher to put on.

I guess it's possible that the oil adjustment screw could be missing? Maybe I should just take it to a Stihl Service center? Once I get the flat driver that will fit - It should be fairly obvious if the screw is missing.

Another question. My sprocket and bar is .325 20 inch and I think is marked 81 Chain links at the bottom? Does that sound right? I am gonna get an RSC chain and I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks again.

Yes that sounds right.

Good deal,

yeah - I've been hitting ebay for parts.

So I need a new set of bumpers (or the bottom one), a chain catch. Do the bumpers just snap in?

New chain - just to be sure and I'll have this saw good as new.

basswidow said:
Good deal,

yeah - I've been hitting ebay for parts.

So I need a new set of bumpers (or the bottom one), a chain catch. Do the bumpers just snap in?

New chain - just to be sure and I'll have this saw good as new.

Yes,,Just clean out the hole and push it in..

Check your local dealer for prices too.. Lots of stuff cheaper from them and new too...

The screw for the oiler IIRC is brass and is pretty far in there. Like an inch or so, the pen clips are 2" long. The driver is nothing special, just a small flat head screwdriver. Max oil flow is clockwise as I recall and since not many folks try and reduce the oil flow from a 290 I am betting the screw is still in there.

A little odd seeing the bumpers and catch missing. Makes you wonder why, like what did they take the saw apart for?

Status
Not open for further replies.