Stihl Farm Boss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
I currently have the MS290 with a 20" bar, my god love that saw. was looking at buying one adn dad, buddies, hunting buddies jsut about everyone told me to go with a Stihl. anyways, i have some larger trees that need felling and i hate to cut on both sides while she is still standing, i was thinking of trying to run a 24" or 25" bar, has anyone done this? i was thinking i would have to run a full skip chain to keep chain speed up any thoughts?

That would seem to me to be much too long of a bar for that size saw. It would be better to sharpen your cutting skills and use what you have already. btw, I have only a 16" bar on mine.

I have an 18" bar on mine and that seems to be a long pull sometimes.

I thought about a 20" but the dealer recommended the 18".

As posted before, try using some different techniques, and sharp chains.

J.P.

If you are looking at maybe dealing with one tree a year with that B&C setup, then I say go for it. If you are cutting 2 or more a year and bucking them as well, then it's time to think about buying a used and bigger 2nd saw. You sound like you are right on with which bar and chain I'd use if I were doing it. To me, the cost of a 25" bar and the chain to go with it puts you close enough (pricewise) to a bigger old McCulloch saw that I'd aim that direction instead!

The larger bar would only be for felling, at 20" she has plenty of low end to cut and buck, i bought it with the 20" and like i said i love it. i was also debating on an 18 or 16" for bucking as i dont need to be swinging around something that big just for limbs. i do have a McCulloch 14" but i havent gotten it running yet (used once in case, cant seem to find a spark plug, any one know that as a side note?)

i found a job on CL for a church in a crappy part of the city (i live in the country) mostly oak, some maple and cherry. they want the trees gone out of a back field so they can use it for events. its never easy but for the most part dropping these is about the easiest you can get. some are quite large, more wood for me. i just hate cutting one side and having to cross and do the other as this can create a roll off. i was hoping some other farm boss owners could point to a good chain bar combo. i mean if i cant i cant, certainly dont want to break the saw. wife would kill me. (Hence why going bigger is just not an option right now)

Bit of a tough call based on the situation.... I don't think you will ruin your saw by running too long a bar for just a couple cuts if you are carefull. If a bigger used saw is not an option, then it's a preference thing. Would you rather have to cut from both sides, or have a bar & chain that's too long for the saw to pull? I know I would choose to use the 20" and take my time on the back-cut swapping sides frequently to keep things even & avoid roll-off. Pulling off the bucking spikes will gain you an inch of bar length. This way costs nothing.
If you are set on the 24" B&C, then yes I'd definitely go full-skip. Mod the muffler for a bit more HP. Keep the chain razor sharp. Max-out the oiler setting & understand you still won't have much oil for the 24" B&C so check for overheating. Use a very delicate touch to avoid bogging as much as possible (bogging makes saw overheat). I don't think this way is any safer or faster & will cost quite a bit (24" bars aren't cheap).

That makes quite a bit of sense. theres no reason to hurry though the tree, and last thing i would want is for the saw to start bogging down when im halfway on the back cut. carelessly i didnt even consider the oiler (guess i never had a nice enough saw to worry about, let alone my "own" saw)
what is this muffler mod you speak of? i have seen it mentioned before? maybe a search will turn something

Stump_Branch said:
That makes quite a bit of sense. theres no reason to hurry though the tree, and last thing i would want is for the saw to start bogging down when im halfway on the back cut. carelessly i didnt even consider the oiler (guess i never had a nice enough saw to worry about, let alone my "own" saw)
what is this muffler mod you speak of? i have seen it mentioned before? maybe a search will turn something
good muffler mod information may be found on the www.arboristsite.com forum.

Stump_Branch said:

My Stihl MS390 has a muffler mod. With only a 16 Inch bar it really rips through a tree. Mine came with the Mod. I bought it from a guy on eBay who is in the business.
I do not have a lot of experience with which to compare saws. My first saw was a little Craftsman so the MS390 doubled the power right off the bat. I'm told that the muffler mod jacks it up quite a bit more than a stock 390.

Backwoods Savage said:
That would seem to me to be much too long of a bar for that size saw. It would be better to sharpen your cutting skills and use what you have already. btw, I have only a 16" bar on mine.

AGREED.
Master felling techniques and you'll never need bigger than a 20" bar.
Learn about "release" teqniques. Take a Game of logging course. Not only will you become a wizard with a saw but it could save your life too.

Thanks Lee. Well said.

I was thinking about this earlier and wondered what some folks think loggers do when they have, say a 36" bar (or larger) but cut a 50" tree (or larger). It is no problem at all if done right.

Did somebody just say "Lee" and "well said" in the same breath? weird. (J/K, Lee)

I'd like to take one of those classes, but haven't ever seen one offered around here. where do i look?

A-cord-ingLEE said:
http://www.gameoflogging.com/
Thanks, Lee. I see they have classes down in Missouri. I missed one already in Macon, but if they have more, it's only a couple hours of a drive. I feel like I'm ready for a level 3 class, but wonder if it might not be better to start from the beginning in case I've missed a basic skill here or there.

Hi there, muffler modded or not, the MS 290 ain't got what it takes to pull a 25" bar. With skip chain you might be able to make the cut very slowly, but you'll smoke your bar & chain. The saw simply does not have enough oiler to run that bar. imho a 290 with a 16" bar, & modded muffler is an acceptable saw for small cutting jobs. Otherwise I go 034 super or 064. All that being said, an upgrade to a saw only lasts the lifetime of the saw. An upgrade to your cutting skills & technique will last your entire lifetime. It's a worthwhile investment of time & money to learn from a more experienced cutter. Just my .02 A C

I'm pissed beyond words at the Game of Logging and one of their sponsors, Procuts.

After having a few very scary close calls years ago, I vowed when I got my new saws not to fall a single tree again until I took at least Level 1. I was put on the waiting list way back when, and I have made repeated e-mails asking if any spots have opened up. Now, I look on the site and there were a ton of classes added since then, many less than an hour's drive from my house. I never heard back from Procuts nor from GOL. How the f*** does someone actually get enrolled in these classes? :mad:

I got a 24" bar with both full comp and full skip chains on sale from Bailey's for about $60 total. I got it for the 359, but it fits the 455 also. Looks like the MS290 and 455 are about the same. Anyway, I ran the full skip with the 24" bar for some bucking with the 455 and it cut great, little or no bogging. Too long and nose-heavy to make that the primary bar on either saw, but certainly a viable option for the rare occasion that I need the length.

Battenkiller said:
I'm pissed beyond words at the Game of Logging and one of their sponsors, Procuts.

After having a few very scary close calls years ago, I vowed when I got my new saws not to fall a single tree again until I took at least Level 1. I was put on the waiting list way back when, and I have made repeated e-mails asking if any spots have opened up. Now, I look on the site and there were a ton of classes added since then, many less than an hour's drive from my house. I never heard back from Procuts nor from GOL. How the f*** does someone actually get enrolled in these classes? :mad:

Years ago , insurance companies foot the bill for the classes in hopes it wood limit claims. It did.
This may still be the case and loggers get first dibs at the classes.

I had NYS Lumbermans Ins at the time and they told me take the classes or get canceled. And as anyone in NYS who is self employed knows, insurance companies are few and far between.
I'm sure the classes kept me out of the hospital and cemetery.
I KNOW the classes saved me phat coin not having to buy new saws.
I know the classes made me phat coin in the fact I took timber cutting jobs no one else wood take that paid huge due to the risk.

Keep track of the website and keep trying you won't regret it.

amateur cutter said:
The saw simply does not have enough oiler to run that bar.

Same oiler as the MS390, right? Stihl recommends a max 24" bar for the MS390; the 290 should be able to oil it too. Oil it, not pull it, lol.

Why spend $60 for a new bar and chain, and not simply rent a bigger saw from a local equipment shop, Home Depot, or a logging shop? Yes, you get to keep the bar and chain - but you're really only using it one time. If you need it more, than you need a bigger saw as mentioned; why tax your equipment on a job it's not designed for (the longer bar, not the size of the tree). If it was me, though, I'd take that $60 and pay a pro to spend an hour with me showing me how to do it with the equipment I had. Much better return on investment IMO.

Battenkiller said:

Here's a contact to try.

Michael J. Burns, Deputy Director
Empire State Forest Products Association
47 Van Alstyne Drive , Rensselaer , NY 12144
(518) 463-1297 x 3 - phone (518) 426-9502 - fax

www.esfpa.org www.nyloggertraining.org www.carbontreellc.com

I get the mailings now, but the courses are pretty far from me for a one day trip. Probably close to you being up near the "blue line". Soem time I will plan on making the trip to a course.

In the mean time, I read this often.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R6b9S7Z5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Battenkiller said:

Years ago , insurance companies foot the bill for the classes in hopes it wood limit claims. It did.
This may still be the case and loggers get first dibs at the classes.

I had NYS Lumbermans Ins at the time and they told me take the classes or get canceled. And as anyone in NYS who is self employed knows, insurance companies are few and far between.
I'm sure the classes kept me out of the hospital and cemetery.
I KNOW the classes saved me phat coin not having to buy new saws.
I know the classes made me phat coin in the fact I took timber cutting jobs no one else wood take that paid huge due to the risk.

Keep track of the website and keep trying you won't regret it.
Flatbedford said:
Here's a contact to try.

Michael J. Burns, Deputy Director
Empire State Forest Products Association
47 Van Alstyne Drive , Rensselaer , NY 12144
(518) 463-1297 x 3 - phone (518) 426-9502 - fax

www.esfpa.org www.nyloggertraining.org www.carbontreellc.com

I get the mailings now, but the courses are pretty far from me for a one day trip. Probably close to you being up near the "blue line". Soem time I will plan on making the trip to a course.

In the mean time, I read this often.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R6b9S7Z5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LOL, You're pissed?!? I'm pissed! Never knew such classes existed. True, I never fell trees -unless I hit a dead one with the bucket - but pissed I am anyway. I missed a chance to meet all of you'z? Just promise me Danno won't wear that pink shirt to the class :shut:

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Years ago , insurance companies foot the bill for the classes in hopes it wood limit claims. It did. This may still be the case and loggers get first dibs at the classes.

Thanks for that insight, Lee. I suspected there might be something like that at play. Certainly, pros should have first chance at these classes since they are risking life and limb every day, unlike someone like myself that will only ever be a make-believe logger in their eyes. I wish I knew someone extremely competent who would take me out for a few days in return for some grunt work, but insurance companies probably frown on the sort of thing as well.

The biggest problem I've had with the GOL sponsors is that I write and tell them I'm interested and they just never bother getting back to me. If I have any luck with the other leads that were provided here, I'll let everyone here know so that members in or near NY can maybe do this together. I met a few folks at the Woodstock gathering and it was real nice to shake a hand and connect a face to members here. It'd be great to spend some time in the woods with people that I only know of through their posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.