stihl helmet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i plan on going to a dealer but i just found that link for reference

I think there 49.00 at my dealer.

You need everything this helmet offers, if you can, you might as well get it in one unit. I think they look cool, and i think i'd feel like a pro if i had one to go with my chaps and all, lol.

I, personally, have a helmet + ear protection + safety glasses.

I have to be honest, though, the helmet and ear protection are a big PITA when trying to get them on together. That's no big deal for me, though, because I'm a safety "cheater". I don't wear ear protection when actually felling a tree. I like to be able to hear any creaking or cracking. My ear protection has recently been ear buds that go with my MP3 player. they do a pretty darn good job of blocking out noise because they are the expanding foam type like those ear plugs that you roll with your fingers and let them expand in your ear. those are a heck of a lot easier to wear with my cheapo yellow helmet.

You said something about goggles and ear protection only. Don't do it. you'll be a lot safer if you are wearing the helmet. I find that i save myself a lot of little annoying wacks and scratches just walking through the brush. Also, sawing on a tree can knock loose limbs down (never had one hit me, but have seen them come close) and heaven forbid you ever had a kickback come at your head (never had that happen either, but it only happens once if you don't have a helmet). If you do it right a helmet might never be needed, but I think it's akin to an airbag in a car. you can't predict everything, and nobody is perfect. A little thing like a helmet can't hurt ya, and could save you, so why not.

I have that same helmet and it is very comfortable. The ear pieces easily adjust to any size head and flip up when you are done cutting. I do not wear glasses or goggle under the shield. The mesh seems to be good enough, I never have any sawdust come threw.

thanks for the ingo danno i also ment a helmet to go along with the glasses and ear plugs

I have this helmet and am very pleased with it - purchased after splitting a couple of years ago and a seemingly normal looking piece of wood more or less exploded and I got thwacked really hard in the face by a flying piece of wood. Face shields are your friend ...

Price seems high though - I think they are $50 or so at my local dealer.

I use the same one.

I have the Stihl brand helmet/shield combo. Wife bought it last year as a birthday present for about $42 from our local rental store. It's fairly comfortable to me and I don't cut without it. Sight and hearing protection are important to me...hope she buys me some chaps this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.