STIHL ISSUE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to learn how to create a ported muffler. Not for my new saw but the old one I found the other day. Would you suggest buying a new one to keep original, and then modifying the old one. I work as a designer at a fab shop and could get them to make the pieces and weld them in for probably a 6 pack.

Ports are on some newer saws and pro saws. You want to just modd it or cut more hole or bigger holes. Porting is widening either the intake or exhaust port, the while behind the muffler into the cyl.

You can go as large as 80% of the exhaust port on ur outlet holes on ur muffler.

Sorry this is not a step by step thread but I'm on my phone now.

But I think u need to focus o. Getting that 015 running first. Also pull the muff to make sure that cyl and or piston is not scored.

Yeah, just a little confusion on terminology. Porting an engine refers to enlarging the cross section of the exhaust or intake runs. I'm sure you've heard the term "ported and polished," with reference to car engine heads and/or intake manifolds. What you're inquiring about is a "dual port" muffler, where a second hole is drilled in the can to permit more airflow.

This serves to increase air flow, and provide a little better top-end horsepower, usually at some sacrifice to low-end torque. Usually, you want to keep the overall cross section of muffler outlet(s) does not exceed 80% of the exhaust port (on the engine). Going larger will cause a loss of too much back pressure (idling problems, total loss of low-end power, possible heating problems). Most also want to give some consideration of noise and the spark arresting characteristics of the muffler, when adding ports to the muffler. Remember, when you're using that saw, you're usually surrounded by piles of woodchips and drying firewood stacks.

Like clemsonfor said... get the saw running first, then you can have some muffler fun.

What you're inquiring about is a "dual port" muffler, where a second hole is drilled in the can to permit more airflow. This serves to increase air flow, and provide a little better top-end horsepower, usually at some sacrifice to low-end torque

I've never modified a saw in any way, but now I want to braze a ball valve onto a muffler so I can adjust its behavior on the fly.

Well your going to have to weld a screwdriver onto the "H" screw in the carb and have it hanging out of the air cover to also adjust the carb on the fly, to keep from leaning the saw out when you "adjust your muffler" on the fly. If you lean it to long you can score pistons and cyls and possibly gernade the thing and or lock it up.

Reactions: TreePointer
Yeah, I thought of that but the notion was too intoxicating not to mention it. I didn't say it was a *good* idea.

Reactions: Ashful
Maybe I should go look at my MS230 and see what, if anything, you could do that would have worthwhile gains.....

Just wait until that warranty expires, before doing so.
Honestly, most dealership techs would hardly know the difference if the Muffler Mod was done clean and professional like.

I still would not take my saw to the shop with a modded muff if I had a real problem say like my oiler stopped working (well that has nothing to do with muff). Well say the new Carb leans out randomly and causes your piston to score and you have a modded muff. They sure will deney it if they catch the muff mod.

could you not purchase another stock muffler to put back on. I think they are like 15 dollars off of ebay. Do you really gain much on something as small as my ms 230 c

The place I work for used to be a Stihl Dealer. The decided to focus only on truck equipment right as I started. I did not know it but when they got rid of the Stihl stuff I could have got it for 25% below cost. ;sick

One of the upper management guys who bought 3 or 4 saws when this happened offered me his MS 660 to borrow until my saw came back. I declined, as I know that using that saw would have cost me a lot of money, as I would have wanted to upgrade instantly. ;)

Instead i spent last evening splitting wood with the maul I bought at lows. My chop block was not hard or green so it made for an interesting splitting adventure to say the least.

One of the upper management guys who bought 3 or 4 saws when this happened offered me his MS 660 to borrow until my saw came back. I declined, as I know that using that saw would have cost me a lot of money, as I would have wanted to upgrade instantly. ;)
MS660 is a serious saw. Your 230 would feel slow and underpowered, after getting used to the 660, which is the trouble I'm having using my 036 now. That said, the 660 is a heavy beast...

Randy, you need an avatar if you're going to stick around. The Austin Powers man symbol is not flattering.

Reactions: DexterDay
huh, what? They wont let a pic of a gun be used or is this a joke, like your "gun"?

oh yeah, that is frowned upon here.
Huh??? Really?

Thats strange!

I know its a fireplace and wood site but still?

I know i sometimes ebb and flow with the forums im in. I have tried going back to some of the ones i use to be on years ago and the folks are different, my pass code did not work and i could not log in. But it was strange to see that everyone had join dates far after mine and only the "big dogs" were still posting. another site forestry forum, some recognize me and others are new and dont, but that place is kind of dead so there is not much instant gratification or back n forth there. They have a decent chainsaw section and good forestry section but i hate answering a question and askin for more details and it takes 3 days to get an answer from the OP. Now a days im am in the office more and with cell phones there is more access.

It's a Stihl........that's the problem.

Shoulda got a Wildthing. ;)

Welcome..... Guy from Tennessee, eh?? I heard about you folks ;)

Your a well known man here...

As for the Wildthing... If you slap an 880 jug on it? It really wakes them up!!! ;lol

Wow now I have not seen o poulan run like that!! That thing runs like a 55 CC saw!!

Reactions: DexterDay
That lil Wild Thing has been touched by magical hands :cool:

Masterminded..... just sayin ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.