Stihl Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Was in my local Stihl shop today to look at some of their saws. While I was in there, I saw this. 6.6 lb head, looked and felt very solid. Price tag was solid too...$86 bucks or so. Hickory handle. Anyone have one?

Attachments

• Stihl Maul.jpg
    Stihl Maul.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 824
  • Stihl Head.jpg
    Stihl Head.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,266
I have a few bucks comming in a week or so maybe its time to try one!!!!!

Wow!
$86.00 for a maul?
I hope it brings you a beer or something for that money.
Really pretty though...

I thought the price tag was very steep too. Still cheaper than a Gansfors though.

Scotty, yeah I just saw that post. I wouldn't have started this thread if I saw that one before.

Stax said:
Scotty, yeah I just saw that post. I wouldn't have started this thread if I saw that one before.

I just want to emphasize that I truly think I had a handle that was assembled when slightly wet and that was the exception to what this maul typically is. For the few swings when it was tight, it worked really well. Just trying not to scare anyone away from a terrific tool.

turbocruiser said:
Stax said:

I just want to emphasize that I truly think I had a handle that was assembled when slightly wet and that was the exception to what this maul typically is. For the few swings when it was tight, it worked really well. Just trying not to scare anyone away from a terrific tool.
Turbo, I'm not saying it is junk, and what happened to your maul was the exception, not the rule. But to me, 86 bucks for a wood handled maul? Not a chance, no matter what name is on the handle.....

Scotty Overkill said:
before you buy, read this post. Not saying that its all bad, but there's no way I'd pay 86 bucks for a maul. I paid around 15 bucks for my welded-on head, steel handled 'el cheapo' years ago and it still splits wood just fine. Oh and the head has never came off either. ;-P

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87857/

Granted its not very easy to swing (more like drop it straight down instead lol) compared to when I was 30 or even 35 & it dont get used much now since I bought the X25 last May.But its 20lbs of total meanness that has NEVER gotten stuck in 31 years now.If it dont split on the first strike (which is rare) it bounces off.

Cant say that about the X25 or my other axes & wedges. Luckily that big beast is only needed occasionally every few months now,the X25 handles 90%+ of what I split anymore.

No loose heads or broken handles with this either. :coolgrin: Except for that moron I loaned it to 20+ yrs ago who run over it & broke it at the weld.Heavy 1/4" wall pipe fit snugly over the original smaller pipe handle (so snug I had to drive it on with 12 lb sledge) then rewelded it.

Attachments

• maul1.jpg
    maul1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 240
  • maul2.jpg
    maul2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 240
  • maul3.jpg
    maul3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 256
Scotty Overkill said:
Turbo, I'm not saying it is junk, and what happened to your maul was the exception, not the rule. But to me, 86 bucks for a wood handled maul? Not a chance, no matter what name is on the handle.....

Actually, the maul I bought for $18 and the one I bought for $26 turned out to be far more expensive as they simply did not work well. I was foolish enough to buy one with a sledge eye and it quickly became obvious that it was going to cost much more just in replacement handles than the Stihl. The Stihl has worked extremely well for me these last three seasons, at a cost that is less than half the sales tax alone on a power splitter. For what it does, it was very inexpensive.

That said, the Council Tool axe eye maul at $49.10 ($64.10 with shipping) - http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=60MA - does look like a deal. Note that it, and the Stihl, are not merely sharpened wedges. They have shaped faces that are far more efficient than the common hardware store mauls.

Status
Not open for further replies.