Stihl MC 170

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, yep I meant the sprocket. I'll try the two cycle mix tomorrow.

If that doesn't do it, I might have to take it in. The videos I've watched on replacing the worm gear that moves the oil around make it look like it might be over my head!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and help.

Yeah, I would say if swishing a few times doesnt clear up your issue, time to visit your friendly dealer or OPE mechanic.

You can do it if you want to learn how to tinker, but it does look like its a little involved, and I believe the pump itself has to be set to a certain depth to function properly, which can be a little tricky. The Service/Shop manual can be found with a little googling if you want to go that route for step by step instructions.

I just fired it up without the bar and confirmed there isn't any oil coming out of that groove. I cleaned out the hole with a paperclip, and still nothing.

I've watched a couple of videos about removing the flywheel and replacing that pump. Before I tackle that, I'd like to go back to the suggestion that maybe there could be gunk in the oil reservoir. I don't have any kerosene, is there anything else I can use to rinse the oil reservoir out?

Thanks.
Anything that will cut Oil n shiet out Super clean gas etc you gonna rinse it out when done ..

Hey, it worked! I let it sit a bit and swished it around a few times. After I drained it and refilled with bar oil, when I fired it up it started pumping away.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I now know wayyy more about this saw than I thought I would. :)

Glad it worked out! Much cheaper than a service call at the dealer!

Also, what shape is your sprocket in? I'm guessing there is a rim sprocket on there, and it if has a groove in the middle that the chain fits into, it should be swapped out. Lots of times if you dont know what it looks like new, you wont know what it looks like when its worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.