Stihl MS 180C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
My dads Bday is comin up and i've been lookin for a new saw for him. He's hooked on the poulan 14-16" saws from the big box stores but they just dont seem to hold up. He's not one to buy somethin expensive either.

I found a like new stihl 180C for a great price locally but don't know how it compares to the poulans other than stihl's reputation. We have a bigger saw for dropping and bucking bigger trees so he doesnt need a big saw. Just one for smaller trees and limbing pretty much.

Any info would be great! Thanks...

I've heard some very good things about this model Stihl for the small light duty cutting. You can't go wrong with a Stihl in my personal opinion...

I picked up a lightly used one for $100 this spring. I'm happy with it. I was looking for a light, small saw. It's small enough to take up a tree or ladder for trimming stuff and I can still buck up to 8" stuff with it OK. A fresh chain really woke it up too. It's no pro grade saw, but I'm happy with it. About 20 years ago, my father bought a Homelight saw that was a little bigger than the MS180. We threw it away after a few years because it just kept on falling apart with only light use. My MS 180 is many times better. I find that The MS 180 is a perfect companion to my 029. I recommend it if you are looking for a nice little saw that still has some umph.

stee6043 said:
I've heard some very good things about this model Stihl for the small light duty cutting. You can't go wrong with a Stihl in my personal opinion...

+1 I had one for 4 months sold I didnt think in the long run it could hold up to the punishment we give my saws but if your cutting 2-4 cords a its a great saw

Thanks for the info guys! I went and picked it up this afternoon. The saw's like brand new and runs awsome! The guy only ran it a handful of times to clear small saplings and a few tiny trees in his yard. I just couldnt pass it up for $100! I think dad will like it and finally have a saw that he can count on lol.

It sure turned out to be my lucky day till the pass side front caliper on my truck decided to start lockin up on the way home. Ahhhhhhh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.