Stihl MS-250 carburetor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
Does the current MS-250 use a Zama or Walbro carburetor?

Because I just ordered a replacement carb for my 10-year old Craftsman 42cc 18" chainsaw. It has a Zama, but the new one is a Walbro, substituted by the mfr. I can't see that one is any better or worse than the other. Folks talk about Stihl quality, but I find it interesting the carb on my new Stihl would be the same brand as my old Craftsman.

No manufacturer of chainsaws make their own carburetors to my knowledge. Walbro, Zama and Tillotson are the main manufacturers of carburetors for chainsaws. And just because they 'look' the same don't mean that they are the exact same inside. All a carburetor does is meter and mix fuel and air. That doesn't mean the saws are the same...... engine tolerances, engineering, design and quality control are usually what makes one brand/manufacturer better than another.

Reactions: Jags
Six of one, Half-dozen of the other here too. Remember carburetors on cars? I'm sure a Rochester or Holley wound up on econoboxes as well as Cadillacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.