Stihl MS-250 - We are looking at a used one - looking for comments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimWalshin845

Nov 6, 2007
S. Jersey
Found a Stihl MS-250 and we want a back up saw.

We cut about 4 cord a year and 99% are dead falls.

The cost new is about $325.

Anyone have major problems with it?

Thank you in advance and caveat emptor,
Jim & Kathy

I have an 025, which is the MS-250 before Stihl changed the numbering system.

Have cut 3-4 cords a year, for about six years with absolutely no trouble. Zero.

If I had to do it again, I would have sprung for the MS-260 Pro Saw.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I usually don't like buying used but the price is decent and the seller is local. I'll let you know how I made out.

Sandor said:

Have cut 3-4 cords a year, for about six years with absolutely no trouble. Zero.

New user to your forum, I've just bought a stihl MS 250 for limbing etc and I'm looking a 2nd bigger saw to handle the harder work, been using an old Homelite XL (hand me down) to now but its hard on the hands over a long time, considering the Husky 372XP or Stihl 440, 441 or 460. Whats best brand to use, maintain etc? Prices over here (Ire) similar for the 372XL and the 440. the 460 about £40 more. Looking a saw that'll do me for the rest of my days!!

Paul

paul1474 said:
Sandor said:

New user to your forum, I've just bought a stihl MS 250 for limbing etc and I'm looking a 2nd bigger saw to handle the harder work, been using an old Homelite XL (hand me down) to now but its hard on the hands over a long time, considering the Husky 372XP or Stihl 440, 441 or 460. Whats best brand to use, maintain etc? Prices over here (Ire) similar for the 372XL and the 440. the 460 about £40 more. Looking a saw that'll do me for the rest of my days!!

Paul

I just bought a MS-361 with a 20 inch bar for the larger work. I'm sure a Husky 372XP would also serve you well. I don't think you could go wrong with either a Husky or Stihl Pro Saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.