Stihl MS 260

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I finally got a lightweight saw..... I won an ebay auction last weekend on an MS 260......

Plan on changing out the .325 bar and chain. Its got a 16" on it now.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I want to keep it at 16". But any particular Bar and Chain combos that work well? Or would you keep the 3/16"??

I also thought it had a "Fully Adjustable" carb. But it does not appear to be so... It does "scream" as is... I only ran it for a few minutes, but it did run extremely well..... How much more power does the 260 run with a carb with "L" and "H" adjustment? ?

I am soaking it in Seafoam tonight and plan to cut this weekend... For under $170 with shipping, I can't complain....

Some pics.... Its not as clean as my other Stihls. But I can polish it into a diamond ;)

260-1.jpg 260-2.jpg 260-3.jpg 260-4.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
I finally got a lightweight saw..... I won an ebay auction last weekend on an MS 260......

Plan on changing out the .325 bar and chain. Its got a 16" on it now.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I want to keep it at 16". But any particular Bar and Chain combos that work well? Or would you keep the 3/16"??

Most 260's I've seen came from Stihl with .325 cutting hardware. I'd put a file to it and run it to see how you like it. I'd stay 16" either way because of the other guns you'll have in your truck. ;)

I also thought it had a "Fully Adjustable" carb. But it does not appear to be so... It does "scream" as is... I only ran it for a few minutes, but it did run extremely well..... How much more power does the 260 run with a carb with "L" and "H" adjustment? ?

Thought the MS260 only had the H and L carb but I am nowhere near sure. Possible you got an 026 with 260 badges? or a 260 with an 026 carb? I'd have your Stihl dealer run the serial (or PM it to me but I dunno when I'll be at my dealer next.)

I am soaking it in Seafoam tonight and plan to cut this weekend... For under $170 with shipping, I can't complain....

Some pics.... Its not as clean as my other Stihls. But I can polish it into a diamond ;)

They make a chisel chain in .325 that cuts pretty darn good. I'd check one of those chains out before converting the saw to 3/8". My buddy runs those full chisel .325 chains on his MS290 and they do a pretty good job. As for the carb, I'd definately be looking for something else to put on it if it doesn't have the H-L screws. What make/model carb is it? I'm sure you could cross reference it to something that has the adjustments.....

That is not the 260 Pro. Just a few diffrances. Stick with the .325 dont adjust the carb. Now if the crab gives you fits down the road change to adjustable one.

That is not the 260 Pro. Just a few diffrances. Stick with the .325 dont adjust the carb. Now if the crab gives you fits down the road change to adjustable one.

Dex 26RSC should be the chain you're after if you stay with the .325.

I'm real curious about this saws' roots. It appears the label on handle says MS260 as well and there is only 1 opening on the side to adjust the carb? I agree with Jay that you should run the carb until you have a problem (maybe never) since you're not going to ask this saw to pull a 24" bar.

That carb may very well be the reason this saw sold at such a low price. Many "enthusiasts" may have turned their nose up at it because it lacks a fully adjustable carb and oil pump. Still a steal (Stihl? ;)) if you ask me.

Ok... So here are more pics. Unlike the carbs on my bigger saws, this does not have a separate choke arm (no other butterfly in carb at all?). Therr is a pad on the right that could actuate an arm/linkage. But nothing....

Here is some shots of the carb. No "L & H" adjustment screws. There is a Low Air screw and an idle screw in between the L & H.

It does appear to be a 260? Although I am no expert. It all seems correct. It screams like a big saw!!
The adjustment doesnt bother me, as it runs great. Starts easier than my other 2 Stihls.

MasterMech, the serial is 261026671 if that will help any. It may be a less than desirable model for hardcore enthusiasts. But for $145 ($165 shipped) I aint complaining ;)

2012-08-04_13-10-10_569.jpg 2012-08-04_13-13-39_997.jpg 2012-08-04_13-14-17_32.jpg 2012-08-04_13-25-57_791.jpg

Stay with the .325 16" and instead upgrade to an adjustable carb..... might be a wlabro 426 if memory serves me. Search arboristsite.

Then take off the muffler. It will have just a single exhaust hole. Drill a hole the same size above and below the existing one. Take a dremel and connect the holes, making one oblong one. Retune. She will be a little ripper after that.

Oh, btw, nice saw at a great price. I really like mine

Reactions: DexterDay
Choke mechanism is in the air filter. ==c
In the filter ?

Not seeing it.

The tube going from the filter to the carb?

Its starts the same way as my others. Only easier... Just ran it again and got it Hot and soaked it one last time in Seafoam. The inside of the cylinder, head, and top of piston looks good and its all looking better with each treatment. My 8 yr old Poulon Pro weedwacker cylinder looks almost brand new still (top of piston and cylinder head is what I mean).

Here is a pic of the line-up... Rancher to be sold here shortly.

2012-08-04_13-36-23_529.jpg 2012-08-04_13-36-03_882.jpg 2012-08-04_13-35-36_526.jpg

Yes its a 260 but not a 260 pro. Diffrances are adjustable carb and oiler decomp button. Thats it, nothing I could not live without on a 50cc saw.

Now grab the 460 and leave the rest on the porch!

Yes its a 260 but not a 260 pro. Diffrances are adjustable carb and oiler decomp button. Thats it, nothing I could not live without on a 50cc saw.

I knew it wasnt a Pro when I bought it... But I thought there were 260's/026's with the adjustable carb out there?

When I bought it, I asked the seller, "Does this model have the H & L adjustable carb?". He said "Yes". Was he lying? No, not really. If he didnt know what he was looking at, then I could see how he thought it was adjustable? It does have 2 adjustable screws... ;) So I cant fault him and it runs like a top anyways...

I had to turn the Low Air screw in to get to rev better from the bottom. When at idle, if you went to WOT, it wanted to fall on its face (bog a bit). But about a 1/2 turn in and it just goes to the Moon! Almost to high of a rev'er..... I may mix my gas a little richer for this saw (40:1) just because of this. Its not wanting to "Four stroke".

But other than that, as you said Jay, I can live without it... I will search ebay and look around. If I can get a carb for cheap enough, I will jump on it (just like the saw).

Hittinsteel- Thanks, yeah its a little ripper now. As for the muffler mod, I will do so, if and when I can get a carb. But for now, I am just gonna run it :)

I knew it wasnt a Pro when I bought it... But I thought there were 260's/026's with the adjustable carb out there?

When I bought it, I asked the seller, "Does this model have the H & L adjustable carb?". He said "Yes". Was he lying? No, not really. If he didnt know what he was looking at, then I could see how he thought it was adjustable? It does have 2 adjustable screws... ;) So I cant fault him and it runs like a top anyways...

I had to turn the Low Air screw in to get to rev better from the bottom. When at idle, if you went to WOT, it wanted to fall on its face (bog a bit). But about a 1/2 turn in and it just goes to the Moon! Almost to high of a rev'er..... I may mix my gas a little richer for this saw (40:1) just because of this. Its not wanting to "Four stroke".

But other than that, as you said Jay, I can live without it... I will search ebay and look around. If I can get a carb for cheap enough, I will jump on it (just like the saw).

Hittinsteel- Thanks, yeah its a little ripper now. As for the muffler mod, I will do so, if and when I can get a carb. But for now, I am just gonna run it :)

It does have some adjustments to it. I would run that little sucker untill I had to change the carb out. Probally never happen though. I would not worry much about not hearing the 4 stoke, because it cant be running to lean with out a adjustable carb and the tap stops out. 50cc just dose not spool up like a 70cc saw will.

A 50cc saw dont need a decomp button,even a new pro model IMO.

Now a 70cc & larger....especially does for this ol' man.;)

The 026/260 line had different carbs and top handles on them, as well as several different types of fuel tank air filters and air filters. They also had different muffler plates and/or baffles on them. The 026 had a slightly smaller engine, but the later 260 engine and piston will fit on an earlier 026 saw (and vice-verse). I have owned over a dozen of them, and I have rebuilt or modified all of them. Some got new engines, some got light porting and a few got all-out full porting. Fully ported, these saws can and do ~really~ scream.

You can stay with the 325 or swap it for 3/8 standard B&C. I have done many timed tests comparing 3/8 full chisel and 325 full chisel on my 026s. I got basically all the same cutting times. If you compare the kerf on Stihl 325 and 3/8 std, they are the same. So the amount of energy required to cut is the same. Now, if you get an Oregon narrow kerf 325 B&C that should cut substantially faster. Same if you get a 3/8 picco B&C designed for the 024, they will also cut a lot faster. I have posted about the .325 NK setup here on some other threads here on Hearth. The 325 B&C will cut OK, and I run all 3/8 standard on my 026/260s mainly so that I can swap bars and chains with my other Stihl large mount saws. They run them just fine. I typically run 16 and 18 inch B&C on them, full comp, full or semi chisel (depending on what I am cutting).

As for the Pro vs non-Pro 026/260, the pro model had an adjustable oiler and a decomp button for starting. The decomp button is nore really needed (especially if you drop start your saws) and the non-pro oiler will oil up to a 20 inch bar just fine. So the Pro option is not that big a deal on these saws. As for the non-adjustable carb though, that is a problem. You are limited to a fixed jet, and that is apt to be tuned lean (for EPA). Running lean you are more apt to overheat the engine, and that is apt to score the P&C. Of all the carbs that came on the 026/260, the Walbro WT-194 is the best. It has adjustable H/L jets, and you can port the saw or leave it stock, but tune the H side to match the bar and any modifications that you make to the muffler. I would get one if I were you. I have them on all my 026/260s (they came with them or I swapped them out).

Reactions: HittinSteel
Now, onto 026/260 mufflers.

Here is a photo of an early 026 that I have. Note the open base and many ports in the muffler cover. This saw can breathe and runs better/cooler.

early 026 open muffler.jpg

Here is a later 026 model saw with a more choked up muffler:

Later 026 stock muffler.jpg

And here is the same muffler after it has been opened up (to near-original stock):

later 026 opened up.jpg

And here is a photo of the latest model 026/260 with a fully choked up muffler. Note the baffeling in the box and the small holes at 90 degree anges to the exhaust port. I tossed this one and repaced it with an early model 026 muffler.

Latest 026 choked up muffler.jpg

Here is a later 026 model saw with a more choked up muffler:

And here is the same muffler after it has been opened up (to near-original stock):
Were there any other mods to the muffler other than boring two more holes?

Just got back from doing some cutting with the 260....

Yep.... Its a Good little saw. Chain did better than I thought..

Got a FULL truck load of some Ash. Dead fall in the woods along the trails. Cut to 10-15 ft lengths and skided out..

2012-08-04_17-36-50_762.jpg 2012-08-04_17-37-55_356.jpg 2012-08-04_18-41-44_937.jpg

2012-08-04_18-42-03_859.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-08-04_17-22-31_770.jpg
    2012-08-04_17-22-31_770.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 529
In the filter ?

Not seeing it.

The tube going from the filter to the carb?

Its starts the same way as my others. Only easier... Just ran it again and got it Hot and soaked it one last time in Seafoam. The inside of the cylinder, head, and top of piston looks good and its all looking better with each treatment. My 8 yr old Poulon Pro weedwacker cylinder looks almost brand new still (top of piston and cylinder head is what I mean).

Here is a pic of the line-up... Rancher to be sold here shortly.

View attachment 71381 View attachment 71382 View attachment 71383

That tab on the right side of the master switch shaft should hit the choke lever in the air filter. Watch it carefully with the filter mounted to the carb.

That tab on the right doesn't hit anything.. I mean nothing. . . There should be a linkage or armature that would do so?

Thats how it works on my other Stihls...

That tab on the right side of the master switch shaft should hit the choke lever in the air filter. Watch it carefully with the filter mounted to the carb.

Were there any other mods to the muffler other than boring two more holes?

Nope, not needed on the single hole non-baffled 026 muffler. The spark screen on those is fairly large, and the exhaust holes in front have a large open area (unlike the 290 type muffler). I keep spark screens on all my saws for legal reasons. You must have them cutting in summer months here during fire season, or you get a huge fine if they bust you.

Status
Not open for further replies.