Stihl MS 290 and 20" bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I'm about to order a 20" bar/chain combo from Baileys, but I thought I read on another post that with a 20" bar it would be sluggish.
I currently run an 18" bar and have a variety of chains for it. I was thinking that a 20" might come in handy from time to time as I get some 30"+ logs sometimes. I can uaually get through it by cutting from both sides.

Does the 290 have the omph to run a 20"?

Thanks

I have a 290 w/20" bar (.325, .063). The only advantage it has over the 18" bar is reach. Bury the 20" bar in oak, and it bogs down. Note that I've only run .325 chain on it--RMC3 (semi chisel, safety) and RSC (full chisel). Some 290's come with 3/8 pitch chain, but I imagine that it would bog down even more with it's larger dimensions.

My opinion is that you should keep your 18" bar and chains. Maybe give it a muffler mod if you want more out of it.

Greg H said:
I'm about to order a 20" bar/chain combo from Baileys, but I thought I read on another post that with a 20" bar it would be sluggish.
I currently run an 18" bar and have a variety of chains for it. I was thinking that a 20" might come in handy from time to time as I get some 30"+ logs sometimes. I can uaually get through it by cutting from both sides.

Thanks

MS290's can run a 20" but what's the advantage in your case? That 18 will handle up to 36" logs, the 20" will take a 40" log apart. 4" just ain't worth it IMO. Stick with the 18" (that runs your existing chains!) and muffler mod that saw for better vroom in the wood. If you're regularly in 30" plus wood you should be looking for an upgrade anyways IMO.

Different saw, similar question and very relevant to your case.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79732/

Another 290 owner looking for more...
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79824/

Cool Muffler Mod, Easy to do.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/121779.htm

If you occasionally run into 30" logs, a 20" bar over an 18" bar will only slow you down, it won't help things one bit as you'll still be needing to cut it from both sides.

Stick with what you've already got your money invested in and get some nice yellow chains for it.

Put a skip chain on it!

With full chisel I regularly bog my MS310 in the big logs with an 18" bar. I personally wouldn't want to battle a 20" bar/chain without more horsepower.

smokinjay said:
Put a skip chain on it!

the dealer by me says he does this to all the 290's if they want a 20" bar. doesn't even ask ya.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
Put a skip chain on it!

the dealer by me says he does this to all the 290's if they want a 20" bar. doesn't even ask ya.

Smart dealer!

smokinjay said:
Put a skip chain on it!

Does anybody make a .325 skipper or is this a 3/8 chain 290? Many 290's were equipped with .325 instead of 3/8. He'd have to change the sprocket out to run 3/8 Skip if that was the case.

I bought my 029 with a 20" bar. With .325 Stihl full chisel RMC chain it will churn through Oak. I keep the chain sharp and don't push it too hard. The 20" bar is just about the right length for most of the wood I cut. The extra length also means a little less bending too. One dealer sold me a skip chain, but I don't think it was any faster than the full chisel. It just takes a little more finesse to run the longer bar with a mid range saw. It's kinda like towing a big trailer with an old six cylinder truck. It will do it, just not as fast as the bigger V8.

Of course it will run it. It will run a 36" bar if you properly feed the log to the saw. You can overload the 290 with a 16" bar if you try and take too much of a bite. If I already had an 18" and was cutting less than 36" (or the dimater that you can buck when cutting from both sides) then I would stay with the 18". What's 2"? (That's what she said!)

I use full comp semi chisel and a skip chain on my 3/8" 290 with a 20" bar. Buried it many times in doug fir. I can't really tell the difference between skip and non-skip until sharpening time.

Greg H said:

Thanks

I ran a 20" bar on my 290 for the better part of 10 years with zero issues.

It just takes a little more finesse to run the longer bar with a mid range saw. It’s kinda like towing a big trailer with an old six cylinder truck. It will do it, just not as fast as the bigger V8.

Well stated. BTW, I have a 290 with a 20" bar. After I learned to "finesse" it, I have no complaints.

Greg H said:

Thanks

Keep the 18" and mod the muffler!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with the 18" bar. If I was running a 16" then adding a 20" would make sense, but as many pointed out the only place this would make a differance is on logs in the 18-20" range. After that I'd still have to come in from both sides.
I"ll put the money in some new chains

Greg H said:

Probably a fine way to go. If you haven't already, put some time and money into learning how to sharpen your chains too. Whatever bar or chain you go with, keeping it sharp is key.

Flatbedford said:
Greg H said:

Probably a fine way to go. If you haven't already, put some time and money into learning how to sharpen your chains too. Whatever bar or chain you go with, keeping it sharp is key.

Did that long ago. I have both the HF grinder and the Dremel tool attachment. During the week I touch up last weekends chains, gas and clean the saw and get ready the the next cutting session. With 5-6 chains I've always got a sharp one. I even have a small inverter in the truck so I can touch up a chain with the Dremel if I have to.

You are prepared alright.

OK quick question...

I have eyed the 290 for sometime now. Kind of hesitant with all the "you can only run an 18" chain thoughts".
I have a 42cc poulan 18" and it ran fine buried in some cherry, mulberry and locust last week. Had to cut from both sides.
Sure it bogs a bit and I ain't winning no races but I got it done just fine. nice sharp chain with the rakers taken down a bit.

So either I must be oozing in the "finesse" department or the 290 can run a 20" chain just fine.

what am I missing here. I would think I was a bad ass with a 290 and a good chain.
maybe all my poulan needs is a MM ;-P

mecreature said:
OK quick question...

I have eyed the 290 for sometime now. Kind of hesitant with all the "you can only run an 18" chain thoughts".
I have a 42cc poulan 18" and it ran fine buried in some cherry, mulberry and locust last week. Had to cut from both sides.
Sure it bogs a bit and I ain't winning no races but I got it done just fine. nice sharp chain with the rakers taken down a bit.

So either I must be oozing in the "finesse" department or the 290 can run a 20" chain just fine.

what am I missing here. I would think I was a bad ass with a 290 and a good chain.
maybe all my poulan needs is a MM ;-P

290 a tank for sure. 20 inch would be fine with a skip chain. No more than you really burn a year its more than you will ever need.

If you haven't been spoiled by a very powerful pro saw, you will think the 029/MS290 with 20" is awesome when you step up from your 42cc Poulan. It is all relative. After 15 years with my 029 20", I don't think a skip chain would make much difference. Just be sure to have a sharp full chisel chain.

Flatbedford said:
If you haven't been spoiled by a very powerful pro saw, you will think the 029/MS290 with 20" is awesome when you step up from your 42cc Poulan. It is all relative. After 15 years with my 029 20", I don't think a skip chain would make much difference. Just be sure to have a sharp full chisel chain.

Speed wise you will do a little better, sharpening wise a little quicker as well. Add them both up and you got something worth exploring. I had an 029 for over 20 years. it is now at my old high school getting rebuilt every year.

Bigg_Redd said:
Greg H said:

Thanks

I ran a 20" bar on my 290 for the better part of 10 years with zero issues.

Same here.

stihl.jpg

And it looks bad-ass with a 20" bar!

Yup
DSC06791.jpg

DSC06787.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.