Stihl ms 310 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisele

Mar 21, 2009
South Jersey
Hello everyone i have a quick question about my stihl saw. I was wondering if you can adjust how much oil comes out to lubricate the bar it just seem it should be throwing out a little more thanks for any answers.

Eisele said:
Hello everyone i have a quick question about my stihl saw. I was wondering if you can adjust how much oil comes out to lubricate the bar it just seem it should be throwing out a little more thanks for any answers.
if it is adjustable it will be on the bottom of the saw its just a small whole with a screw head in it!

It is adjustable, but even on high mine still throws very little oil. Lack of oil is the only fault I have with mine.

Have seen many comments from Stihl owners about lack of oiling on their saws - fixes I've seen mentioned include using thinner oil, or diluting the thick stuff, or there are apparently options for swapping the oil pump with one that is for a bigger saw... (One could also trade the Stihl in on a Poulan, Homelite, or other quality Home Depot saw... %-P )

Gooserider

As long as you are using at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of oil to a tank of fuel, your good to go. Don't worry to much about it.

Goose, I am confident that even my old (very old) 028 will still be running when you put that Dullmore out to pasture. ;-)

’berta Burner said:
As long as you are using at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of oil to a tank of fuel, your good to go. Don't worry to much about it.

Goose, I am confident that even my old (very old) 028 will still be running when you put that Dullmore out to pasture. ;-)

+1 stihl bars can handle the heat! dolmar in about 20 years will have to do the same!

’berta Burner said:
...028 will still be running when you put that Dullmore out to pasture. ;-)
I wondered when Dolmar would be disparaged like that, but personally, I would have spelled it "Dulmor". :coolsmirk:

When you bought the MS310 they gave you that small screwdriver. That tool is to adjust the carb (unlikely) but also to immediately max out the oil pump. Flip the saw over and find the hole. Way down in that hole is a screw head that you will crank all the way to max. In addition to adjusting the saw for max oil, you need to be sure that the oil passages between the powerhead and the chain are clear.

Best case is half a tank of oil per fuel tank. These dang modern enviro friendly saws aren't allowed to fling much lube. They barely put out enough to keep the bar from overheating vs. the old days where the bar was actually dripping of oil.

my 361 uses pretty close to a tank of oil per fill up, and going to back off on it a little. You really dont need it dripping eveywhere!

’berta Burner said:

Easy with that.

The Dolmers are a sensitive bunch.

Interestingly though, it sure seems it is the stheel heads that get there undies in a bunch faster than anyone else.

Guess steehl's oiling problems explain why their bar oil is the consistency of water and Husky's is like honey.

wendell said:
Interestingly though, it sure seems it is the stheel heads that get there undies in a bunch faster than anyone else.

Guess steehl's oiling problems explain why their bar oil is the consistency of water and Husky's is like honey.

thats not true at all I use both more stihl than husky but I cant tell a bit of difference no undies problems here.

You must have different oil in Indiana. They are very different here.

wendell said:
You must have different oil in Indiana. They are very different here.

I have some of each just a few drops of the hushy bought it at tsc and full gallon of the stihl,I go through at least a gallon a month
the only reason I but stihl is because thats where I buy raker files.There are a lot of people running Atf for over 20 years been thinking of trying that out.I am sure those two oils are the same weight.

wendell said:
If you're seeing Stihl oil like water, you must be buying Winter grade and running it in the Summer. The last gallon of Summer grade Stihl oil I went through last Winter was thick like molasses. Mind you, I don't buy Winter grade oil any more and I don't cut much in Summer.

long as you all are buying oil it is all good for Alberta :coolsmile: Our economy is hurting too, stock up on both summer and winter oil would ya? And quit burning that wood - no good can come from that!

Status
Not open for further replies.