Stihl MS261, Husqy 346XP, Husqy 350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
I know there's been a lot of discussions on these saws, but does anyone have some opinions on what's better? I know the 346xp is a pro saw compared to the 350, but was curious on what the differences are exactly. Also, how all that compares to the 261.

350 = plastic crank case, and screw on air filter cover (homeowner saw)
353 = 350 with more torque, magnesium crank case, and quick release air filter cover (landowner saw)
346xp = 353 with higher rpm instead of higher torque, and rim sprocket (arborist saw)

The weak point on the 350 seems to be the muffler bolts pulling out and lean seizing the saw as well as other bolts pulling out of the plastic case. Otherwise they are known as good saws. The 353 and 346xp fix the muffler problem with an additional support mounting to the metal case.

That helps and makes sence with the research I've done as well. Nobody mentioned anything about the Stihl MS261 (kinda the equivilent saw) to the 346xp I would assume. The other thing is, i know Husqy has their homeowner grade saws and the pro saws (XP), but I hear rumblings from folks about how some parts on the homeownere saws...and pro saws are being outsourced to China, etc.....so you wonder if Husqy is having issues? Any thoughts on that? Chains, bars......etc. Is that going to hurt the XP saws. I guess you see why I'm thinkinga bout going over to the other side with Sihl even though I've been a loyal Husqy guy for 20years.

I don't have any experience with husky at all but people really seem to like the 346. I just bought a ms261 and I only ran one tank through it so far but it seems to be a great saw. It is definitely stronger (at least to me) than the 026/260 line and everyone says it will take 15-20 tanks to reach its full potential. Good luck on the decision and sorry I offered no help really.

Many Stihl and Tanaka chainsaws are made in China now too.

http://www.stihl-qd.cn/isapi/englisch/default.asp

I think Echo trimmers are made in China, but not their saws (yet). I'd personally would keep an eye out for gently used 3xx series Husqvarnas made in Sweden.

That's more for the less than optimal configurations to meet EPA regulations and general degradation of product quality over time rather than country of origin though. I firmly believe the problem with the products is US business schools. The problems with Chinese made saws starts with the accountants and executives in Sweden, Japan, and Germany. The laborers in China CAN build great products. The only problem is producing GOOD quality saws would cost 1/2 as much as making them in Europe instead of 1/4th. Who needs loyal customers in 20 years anyway? Most of those accountants and executives making the decisions will change jobs 3-5 times in that period of time. They need to maximise profits this year!

Husky pro saws are still made in sweden and stihl in germany. Go handle a 346 and then a 261. Make your decision from there. Both are great saws.

HittinSteel said:
Husky pro saws are still made in sweden and stihl in germany. Go handle a 346 and then a 261. Make your decision from there. Both are great saws.

+1 You could argue for either saw til the cows come home....But it would still come down to handling them! ;-)

I had a 346 for a while and actually preferred my muffler modded 260......so I sent the 346 packing and replaced it with a top handle 335XP

346XP and 261 are top of line saws in the 50cc class. The advantages of one over the other aren't dramatic, so you can't go wrong with either .

261 has a little more grunt, but is heavier.

346XP has excellent throttle response and it's outboard clutch makes it well balanced. It's not an issue with me, but some don't like dealing with an outboard clutch when it comes to maintenance (changing bars & chains and cleaning).

If you are thinking of used saws, note that there is more than one version of the 346XP. Old is 45cc and new edition is 50cc. The new edition should have a silver clutch cover and the old has an orange clutch cover.

HittinSteel said:
I had a 346 for a while and actually preferred my muffler modded 260......so I sent the 346 packing and replaced it with a top handle 335XP

+1 Me too! :cheese: I use the top handle more every time I cut...

Status
Not open for further replies.