Stihl MS290, 310, or 390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Ok, long story on how i got a lil husky for xmas and i'm returning and upgrading, i'll put that in another post. So i'm thinking either a 290,310,or 390. I'd like to get the ms290 b/c the price seems reasonable, $380 is what it lists for, although if i could get a ms390 for less than $420ish i'd go with that. I cut about 6 cords a year, I don't fell any myself. I cut 3 hard and 3 soft, most of the hardwood is smaller, btwn 16-20 inches. The softwood i've cut has been up to 3 feet and over. I've also had to pass up free hardwood, because I don't have enough saw for the size of it(around 40" oaks).

So right now I'm thinking ms290 with a 20" bar, and maybe a second 16" bar. I know lots of folks out there have this saw and like it, i'd really like something tried and true and reliable and to me it seems like this is it. I would definitely consider upgrading, more likely to the 390 for the extra power, but at less than an 8cc upgrade for 100 bucks i'm not sure if it's worth it.

Let the opinions fly!! BTW, not considering a husky b/c I don't have a local dealer that has a good selection. The husky dealer is 5 min away.

I have a 290, great saw but a little more power/less weight would be nice. I'm gonna try the muffler mod and see how it does.

I've had a 290 for 6 years and I've cut 7-10 cord per year with it and it's been a great saw. That said, while it's possible to cut 36" rounds with a 20" bar it's a lot easier to job with the 25" bar. So if you can get the 390 (same size/weight as the 290) for $420 (They're closer to $500 here) that's the way I'd go.

work on a newer 290 today must say very rouged saw and pretty close to a pro saw.. sure you will be happy with the those 3 choices...

smokinjay said:
work on a newer 290 today must say very rouged saw and pretty close to a pro saw..

Say what?

Matt

I have a 290 with a 16 inch bar and have run it for 2 years now. If I need to I will buy the 20 inch bar, but haven't had to yet.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
smokinjay said:
work on a newer 290 today must say very rouged saw and pretty close to a pro saw..

Say what?

Matt

bullet proof saw, or made very well.

SPED said:
Ok, long story on how i got a lil husky for xmas and i'm returning and upgrading, i'll put that in another post. So i'm thinking either a 290,310,or 390. I'd like to get the ms290 b/c the price seems reasonable, $380 is what it lists for, although if i could get a ms390 for less than $420ish i'd go with that. I cut about 6 cords a year, I don't fell any myself. I cut 3 hard and 3 soft, most of the hardwood is smaller, btwn 16-20 inches. The softwood i've cut has been up to 3 feet and over. I've also had to pass up free hardwood, because I don't have enough saw for the size of it(around 40" oaks).

So right now I'm thinking ms290 with a 20" bar, and maybe a second 16" bar. I know lots of folks out there have this saw and like it, i'd really like something tried and true and reliable and to me it seems like this is it. I would definitely consider upgrading, more likely to the 390 for the extra power, but at less than an 8cc upgrade for 100 bucks i'm not sure if it's worth it.

Let the opinions fly!! BTW, not considering a husky b/c I don't have a local dealer that has a good selection. The husky dealer is 5 min away.

I have the 310 and 390, both are great chainsaws. I like the decompression valve on the 390 for easier starting.

zap

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them. I had initially considered the husky 455 as well, but it seems like there is a lot of complaints about those and I really can't find anyone(who owns one!!) complaining much about a 290,310 or 390.

Does anyone know if most stihl dealers go by the suggested prices or if they are more/less? Looks like with the 20 inch bar the ms290 should be 380 bucks. I'm hoping I can get them to throw in an extra semi chisel for me try out as well.

Oh one other question, online it looks like it comes with .325 chain, is that what you guys are running or did you go 3/8?

SPED said:
Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them. I had initially considered the husky 455 as well, but it seems like there is a lot of complaints about those and I really can't find anyone(who owns one!!) complaining much about a 290,310 or 390.

Does anyone know if most stihl dealers go by the suggested prices or if they are more/less? Looks like with the 20 inch bar the ms290 should be 380 bucks. I'm hoping I can get them to throw in an extra semi chisel for me try out as well.

Oh one other question, online it looks like it comes with .325 chain, is that what you guys are running or did you go 3/8?

if going with the 290 the .325 is the way to go..and some stihl dealer will go 10 percent off

I have a 290 with an 18. I think its big enough.

SPED said:

I'm running 3/8 on both the 310 and 390.

zap

zapny said:
SPED said:

I'm running 3/8 on both the 310 and 390.

zap

310 and 390 can handle the 3/8 .050 the 290 is just a better saw with .325 set up.

In the west, they sell the 290 with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain as basic equipment. Many many people are happy with it, myself included.

If you are going to spend more than what the 290 costs then you owe it to yourself to consider paying the small additional money and bump up to the 361 which is a much better saw and a "pro" saw at that. Just hold the 361 and the 290/310/390 saw to get a feel for the weight difference, the size difference, and read the specs to see how much more capable that saw is. IMO I wouldn't go above the 290 unless it was a 361.

I love my 310....but if I had to do it again I think I'd drop the extra coin and grab the 361. The ability to service and maintain, as I understand it, is better on the pro series saws. I will run my 310 until it dies (hopefully 20 more years!) but my next saw will be a Stihl pro saw.

I'll also comment that I run 3/8 .050 on my 310 and wouldn't have it any other way....

Highbeam said:
In the west, they sell the 290 with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain as basic equipment. Many many people are happy with it, myself included.

If you are going to spend more than what the 290 costs then you owe it to yourself to consider paying the small additional money and bump up to the 361 which is a much better saw and a "pro" saw at that. Just hold the 361 and the 290/310/390 saw to get a feel for the weight difference, the size difference, and read the specs to see how much more capable that saw is. IMO I wouldn't go above the 290 unless it was a 361.

highbeam is that by chance a skip chain?

Came from the dealer without skip and I had them throw in a RSF skip full chisel chain. I don't notice a difference in our softwoods until I go to sharpen them and then the skip takes half as long. I was actually pretty impressed with the stihl safety chain, I'll never buy it on purpose but it was not bad at all.

I fully admit that large hardwood like the OP's 40" oak may be too much for a 20" bar on a 290 but we don't have those types of trees here, we have much bigger trees that are apparently softer and easier to cut.

don't know about the other saws, but my FIL has a 290. for the price I'll take my old 028, they are tooooo close in performance for me to "just have to have one."

Highbeam said:
Came from the dealer without skip and I had them throw in a RSF skip full chisel chain. I don't notice a difference in our softwoods until I go to sharpen them and then the skip takes half as long. I was actually pretty impressed with the stihl safety chain, I'll never buy it on purpose but it was not bad at all.

I fully admit that large hardwood like the OP's 40" oak may be too much for a 20" bar on a 290 but we don't have those types of trees here, we have much bigger trees that are apparently softer and easier to cut.

even 20in. oak would really slow that set up down(unless skip) softwoods are different story. The softest wood I cut is silver maple and it sure doesn't fill soft. West coast sure is a different game.

Well I just pulled the trigger and got a 290. I ended up going with an 18" bar after talking with the dealer, his suggestion was to keep that one on there, and he will keep an eye out for a used .325 20" bar coming in for me and give it to me on the cheap. That way I can swap that in when needed. Ended up 359 out the door with the 18" bar, which is the 16" price. Talked to him for a while, very personable guy, I must say i'm very comfortable that I will get good service there. He also threw in a yellow chain too when i asked about getting that instead of the extra safety he was gonna give me.

All in all, the most important thing I got from today is that this is someone who will stand by the saw, he already told me to come by after 20-30hrs of break in so they can tune it up for free.

Now I know this isn't the most powerful saw out there, but comin from a 16" homelite 33cc all i can say is wow, I couldn't help but grin cuttin up some 20" poplar just now. I'm sure this will bog down a lil in the big hardwoods, but 90% of what I cut is less than 20 or even 18 inches in hardwood that i get log length, so I think i'm gonna be very happy with it in the long run.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I feel like I really made the right choice on the saw.... now to go do some cuttin.......

SPED said:
Well I just pulled the trigger and got a 290. I ended up going with an 18" bar after talking with the dealer, his suggestion was to keep that one on there, and he will keep an eye out for a used .325 20" bar coming in for me and give it to me on the cheap. That way I can swap that in when needed. Ended up 359 out the door with the 18" bar, which is the 16" price. Talked to him for a while, very personable guy, I must say i'm very comfortable that I will get good service there. He also threw in a yellow chain too when i asked about getting that instead of the extra safety he was gonna give me.

All in all, the most important thing I got from today is that this is someone who will stand by the saw, he already told me to come by after 20-30hrs of break in so they can tune it up for free.

Now I know this isn't the most powerful saw out there, but comin from a 16" homelite 33cc all i can say is wow, I couldn't help but grin cuttin up some 20" poplar just now. I'm sure this will bog down a lil in the big hardwoods, but 90% of what I cut is less than 20 or even 18 inches in hardwood that i get log length, so I think i'm gonna be very happy with it in the long run.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I feel like I really made the right choice on the saw.... now to go do some cuttin.......

thats a strong saw cant see needing a 20 in. bar when you have an 18in. CONGRATS!

You won't be disappointed... I too know the feeling of going from my first saw a 42cc Toybuilt to the MS 290..I knew it was not a BIG saw but still it was like night and day..I have had mine for 2 years and have cut over 20 full cord with it..Around here they say to run 10 tanks and take it back to re tune.. I started having some trouble starting it and figured it was just time to get it re tuned so I went ahead with the muffler mod at that point and again it was like getting a new saw..I have not yet had any trouble with it since... O and I run the .325 .63 20 inch bar and it pulls fine in hardwood.. My FIL is a logger and is always on me to swap to the 3/8 .05 but I see no reason to as of yet...

Sadly tho there will be a time when CAD hits once more and you will be looking for another saw. It happens to all of us..Less then a month ago I rebuilt a 031 AV and just now for Xmas I bought a 038AV on ebay.Still waiting for that one to arrive....

Anyway post some pic's of the nice new clean saw..It wont stay that way for long......

Just picked up a 310 today. No good reason other than it was sitting next to the 290 I had intended to buy, and I noticed it was more power with the same weight, for an extra $40. Still brand new and shiny, but that will all change tomorrow. I've been using a 280 with .325 for the past couple of years, so I'm interested to see what a little more power with the 3/8 feels like.

Status
Not open for further replies.