Stihl Ms290 -- max. bar length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
It takes me like 2 minutes to sharpen that wee Echo,the others a bit longer :lol:

lol my 192 pretty quick and do use it alot more now days. Less gas and oil easy to carry, but been cutting at the house for a while now. Tuesday its 880 time!

Love using that little thing on smaller stuff myself,Jay.So nice even though its not as quick.Weight difference really helped early last week during that heatwave.
I bit the bullet (been watching & saving for quite a while) grabbed a nice strong Husky 288XP 24" bar with the "7th mount" anti-vibe front stiffening spring on ebay Saturday & a very good matching full wrap handlebar from dealer in BC Canada today.They should arrive in a few days,cant wait to put it through the paces.I'll give a 'review' here after getting things sorted out. :coolgrin: The 3120XP is on indefinete hold for now,unless I win LOTTO of course :lol:

I am not good with the huskys what cc's is it?

87cc. 12500 free speed rated for up to 48" bar.16.3pounds dry.The 390XP (5.4cid/88cc 6.5HP) is current comparable model.Should be a strong mofo lol

Plus its got decompression valve,which my 475 doesnt.Almost killed me last winter haha.I've noticed about 1/2 of the used 87/88/94 cc Husky's have the decomp valves & 1/2 dont for some reason.All new ones have for a while though.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
It takes me like 2 minutes to sharpen that wee Echo,the others a bit longer :lol:

lol my 192 pretty quick and do use it alot more now days. Less gas and oil easy to carry, but been cutting at the house for a while now. Tuesday its 880 time!

Love using that little thing on smaller stuff myself,Jay.So nice even though its not as quick.Weight difference really helped early last week during that heatwave.
I bit the bullet (been watching & saving for quite a while) grabbed a nice strong Husky 288XP 24" bar with the "7th mount" anti-vibe front stiffening spring on ebay Saturday & a very good matching full wrap handlebar from dealer in BC Canada today.They should arrive in a few days,cant wait to put it through the paces.I'll give a 'review' here after getting things sorted out. :coolgrin: The 3120XP is on indefinete hold for now,unless I win LOTTO of course :lol:

I am not good with the huskys what cc's is it?

87cc. 12500 free speed rated for up to 48" bar.16.3pounds dry.The 390XP (5.4cid/88cc 6.7HP) is current comparable model.Should be a strong mofo lol

Small block if you will. ;-)

Looked at a couple 2100/2101's also, 6.0 cid/100cc but couldnt find one that I liked.Either beat to death & a basketcase or all restored & more $$ than new comparable model.Parts dont seem to be as available for those models as either smaller or larger ones for some odd reason.

Thistle said:
Looked at a couple 2100/2101's also, 6.0 cid/100cc but couldnt find one that I liked.Either beat to death & a basketcase or all restored & more $$ than new comparable model.Parts dont seem to be as available for those models as either smaller or larger ones for some odd reason.

Not alot of them out there. 076 or 084 can be had....But that 288 should do well!

Still wouldnt mind having a 090,Mac SP 125 to round out the stable sometime.Those are bringing top $$$ I've noticed,demand is quite high now.I'm not much of a mechanic,basic change parts sure but wont attempt a complete rebuild.Its not much more to buy a decent strong runner (who cares about cosmetics) than a box of parts most of the time.

Thistle said:
Still wouldnt mind having a 090,Mac SP 125 to round out the stable sometime.Those are bringing top $$$ I've noticed,demand is quite high now.I'm not much of a mechanic,basic change parts sure but wont attempt a complete rebuild.Its not much more to buy a decent strong runner (who cares about cosmetics) than a box of parts most of the time.

How much on the 288?

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

How much on the 288?

Approx $570 for that & the very good full wrap handlebar including UPS shipping & insurance.390XP new is $1200-1250 counting local taxes with same option.The past 6 months or so 288's been going for $400 in rough shape to over $650 excellent.Should be a fun project to make things easier.Gonna see about hot rodding it also :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

How much on the 288?

Approx $570 for that & the very good full wrap handlebar including UPS shipping & insurance.390XP new is $1200-1250 counting local taxes with same option.The past 6 months or so 288's been going for $400 in rough shape to over $650 excellent.Should be a fun project to make things easier.Gonna see about hot rodding it also :coolgrin:

That I can help with! :coolhmm:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

How much on the 288?

That I can help with! :coolhmm:

Thanks a bunch :coolsmile: Jay. I'll be sending you PM's when I have questions about what,where etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.