stihl ms310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

93truck

Feb 26, 2007
hey,thinking about buying a stihlms310 i see they suggust a 16in bar. I would like to run a 20in will this saw run a 20 without bogging down

Yup, the 310 will be fine with a 20" bar. The manufacturer's recommended bar length is primarily a function of anti-kickback certification, and have precious little to do with the mechanical limits of the saw. A saw like the 310 should be quite happy with a 16-20" bar with standard chain, and a 24"/25" bar with skip chain.

On a personal note, I've run 290 and 310 with 18" and 20" bars and they handle them well, especially with .325" pitch chain. I suspect that that the 310 will be happy with 3/8" pitch chain owing to its larger displacement and HP when compared to the 290; 3/8" chain seemed to me to be asking more of the 290 than it wanted to give.

I have a ms310 w/20" bar. I'm replacing it with Dolmar 5100 with a 18". If you get the 310 get a get the shorter bar. It's a heavy saw and for me the 20" bar is to long. I've had no problems with the Stihl and will use it as a back up saw. Just wanted a new saw that was lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.