Stihl Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
I went to four different Stihl dealers. Not one of them would come off of their price. I assume that they were list prices since they were all the same. Is the the norm? BTW looking at a MS250 ($309.99) or possibly a MS250 C-BE ($359.99?) can't remember for sure on this one as I was mainly interested in the first one. I'm not interested in going any larger. I have already stepped up from the 180 just because. Just don't need larger.

What is the going price in your area for these?

Does Stihl ever run sales?

One did offer a bottle of oil to mix one gallon of fuel, yea.

Thanks

Just this past weekend, I bought the MS250-CBE with a 16" bar for $329. It would have been $339 with an 18" bar. The MS250 was $309. So I guess the prices are the same wherever you go.

sunglider said:
Just this past weekend, I bought the MS250-CBE with a 16" bar for $329. It would have been $339 with an 18" bar. The MS250 was $309. So I guess the prices are the same wherever you go.

Yes, even here in California, prices are the same. I checked aroun 5 dealers before I bought my 390 and 192T. None would out bid the other. I ended up buying from my local dealer which worked out well since he's always there to service them.

Cash always works. I've bought all my saws for less with a "cash" in hand deal. Let them know you have it and don't need a receipt. Worked for me in the last 3 transactions.
Maybe it will help a bit.
Chad

From what I've seen, Stihl dictates sticker price to their dealers, and regulates "sales". They're the same no matter where you are. The dealer has to put Stihl's price on the tag.
My local dealer (a mom and pop small town hardware store) has given me some great deals when I asked. I bought an MS390, 3 spare chains, 2 stroke oil, files, and 2 gallons of bar oil when I was getting set up. I asked the kid helping me what kind of deal they could cut me- hoping for maybe 10% off alll the ancillery stuff I was buying. The owner comes out, looked at what I was getting, gave me the 10% i was hoping for AND the saw for $90 below list price! This was a couple years ago. Went back last week for a new leafblower, and asked MR McCoil what he could do for me.... $59 below list price!
The moral of my story- Find a small distributer if you can, and ask. The worst that can happen is you'll be told no. Just because Stihls dealer agreements reiquire set price tags and advertised prices doesn't mean the dealer can't sell for less if he wants. He just can't advertise or post lower prices.
I gladly pay a little more for little things at this store rather than drive 30 miles to the big box. In return, I get exceptional savings on big-ticket purchaces, and Im sure he's still making a profit on the sale.

Stihl is very good at price fixing... However, as wccountryboy suggests, small town dealers have some latitude to cut you a slightly better deal, if they want to. A family friend has a Stihl dealership and dropped about $90 off list on a MS200T that I bought in the spring; he dropped about $130 off list on the MS660 that is headed my way. Compared to what I have been seeing used prices go to on evil bay, the discounted new prices were too close to what used ones were going for with unknown history.

You might keep your eyes open for a good deal on a new MS260 Pro. Stihl has just released the new MS261 that a lot of people seem to be enamored with as it's replacement. I would assume that a dealer that has some 260's in stock might be willing to deal to move them, a little at least. It will cost more than the MS250, but is a Pro level saw.

I have the MS250C. It is not a bad saw, but it is not a "Pro" saw in Stihl speak. It has a one piece cylinder and block, so if you score a piston/cylinder, it won't be worth fixing. The pro saws typically have a split crankcase and a removable cylinder. For a long term saw, this would be a feature that would be nice. (yeah, I know, don't score the cylinder!)

The power to weight ratio on the MS250 is really not too bad. If you dump the safety chain and put a 16" bar/full chisel chain on, it cuts pretty good. I think the CS (Chinese spec?) series of carbs that are coming on these particular consumer saws now are junk, but that is just my personal opinion, after dealing with one.

I am weighing the idea of selling my MS250 and buying either the MS261 or a Husqvarna 346xp for the "medium/small" slot in my saw lineup. Maybe in the spring...

I am finding that it is very easy to sell a saw on CL. If you get the MS250 and don't like it/want to upgrade later, they sell very easily for a high percentage of their new price.

I actually like that Stihl's prices are the same across the board for a couple reasons: First, it shows faith in their product when they don't have to 'drop their pants' to sell 'em (and still remain #1 in the world, even at the same time as Husky's selling out to big-box). Second, it prevents me from feeling like I didn't get a good enough deal. When I called around looking at Dolmar, I got 5 different prices from 5 different dealers--that was truly annoying as I felt they were all trying to rip me off.

In any case, if the dealers are holding the line (which is best for all their businesses), choose the one you would most like to deal with and tell him you'd like to buy but you need a little push--an extra chain, some 2-stroke oil, and some bar oil would be reasonable. Especially when paying by cash.

Of course, how much is YOUR time worth (mine is about $75/hour--what I charge to tutor)? At this point, I'd have saved the couple hours shoppin' and been playin' with a new toy.

Good luck,

S

New plan since they seam willing to deal. How bout Dolmar PS 420 $290? Remember I didn't want a real big saw to begin with.

Only issue is dealer is an hour away.

Thanks

If you buy from the same dealer all the time 10 percent off normal. Dont ever rember paying list price for any stihl saw. If your buying accessories is another at the same time is another way to get a better deal.

I actually like it when companies fix their prices like that. That way I can just go out and support my local dealer and not worry about having to shop around and barter and worry that I'm overpaying. Best of both worlds......simple and painless for me and my hard earned $$ are going back into the local economy.

Earlier this year I paid list, $299 for the MS250 at my local dealer. Its my first saw and I love it. I was in there yesterday for a new chain and its still the same price.

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
ms250 is a lame duck model...
Also has been one of, if not THE top-seller for many years. Parts & support will be around for a looong time. I wouldn't worry

midwestcoast said:
Roscoe Picco Chain said:
Also has been one of, if not THE top-seller for many years. Parts & support will be around for a looong time. I wouldn't worry

I'm just sayin' the ms251 might be a lot better and worth waiting for if you can. The ms291 is certainly looking better than the ms290, on paper at least. And the ms261 is definitely a step beyond the ms260.

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
midwestcoast said:
Roscoe Picco Chain said:

I'm just sayin' the ms251 might be a lot better and worth waiting for if you can. The ms291 is certainly looking better than the ms290, on paper at least. And the ms261 is definitely a step beyond the ms260.

+1

I looked at several small dealers in my area last week, and they ALL had the same price. And they wouldnt budge. I went with the dealer right by my job, and he sold it to me for cash-no tax. MS 290 - $359 , same as everywhere else. That saw RIPS!

wood-fan-atic said:
I looked at several small dealers in my area last week, and they ALL had the same price. And they wouldnt budge. I went with the dealer right by my job, and he sold it to me for cash-no tax. MS 290 - $359 , same as everywhere else. That saw RIPS!

290 a nice saw I just like to get my hands on a 291 to feel the differance.

CSAW said:
New plan since they seam willing to deal. How bout Dolmar PS 420 $290? Remember I didn't want a real big saw to begin with.

Thanks

Jesu Maria, you're willing to drive two hours to save $20?! What'll happen when you need service? That's just ridiculous.

S

thinkxingu said:
Jesu Maria, you're willing to drive two hours to save $20?! What'll happen when you need service? That's just ridiculous.

Two non issues.

1. Have motorcycle and always looking for somewhere to ride. BTW, it fits nicely in the side bag with the chain and bar off.

2. Service, do all my own unless it needs an expensive part while still under warranty, then I get to ride again.
spin2.gif

Win Win

I'm all for supporting the locals, but I believe that works both ways. Not one of the four would budge a dime. Guess they showed me. I'm not part of their perceived captive audience though. Found a nice small Dolmar dealer run by a husband and wife team. Exceptionally nice people and treated me good as well. Plus I was really impressed with the saw once I put my hands on it. Nothing against the others, just liked this one better. Haven't run it yet.

Actually ended up being $25.00 plus oil and oil.

CSAW said:

Thanks

That's a fantastic price on a great saw. I paid $300 for mine and thought I was lucky. It's a pro quality saw that adapts well to mods if you want to tinker a bit. I paid an extra $25 for them to give me a better bar, full chisel chain and to replace the spur sprocket with a rim system so I can run different pitch chain on it. I've got .325 on it right now and it just tears right through the wood. After it's broke in I'm gonna pull the muffler and take out the cat. Supposed to be an easy mod that really opens up the little saw.

They didn't "show you" because they don't need to; that was the point: Stihl's value is in their longevity, reliability, and resale. The fact that there are four Stihl dealers in your area and no Dolmar dealers is indicative in itself.

In any case, glad you got a nice ride in and found a saw to your liking--best of luck with it! Now get some pics up, or it didn't happen.

S

Oh, that's so cute!!! My niece would love your new saw. Just kidding, looks like a nice size and the colors are nice. One of my gripes about Stihl is the coloring--Jonsereds looks so much sexier. I know, I know...but what can I say?! It's the reason I choose the watches I do, too.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.