Stihl Saw Advice 250 or 290?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll through my opinion in the ring. Husky 346XP. The more I use this saw the more I like it. I still like my ms360 for bucking large rounds but I could live with the Husky as an only saw if I had to. I think its alittle more than 2# lighter.
Doug

I went and checked out Huskys a couple weeks ago. Got a few prices from the local dealer, then went home and researched online. Ruled them out when he tried to sell me a 450 at $30 above MSRP.

Delivery and dealer prep extra?

Oh a chain saw? MSRP should be the high end on an item you can buy 20 different places in the state, especially a product that ought to generate much more business for repairs and tune ups, new chains, etc.

J-Man said:
Oh a chain saw? MSRP should be the high end on an item you can buy 20 different places in the state, especially a product that ought to generate much more business for repairs and tune ups, new chains, etc.

that saw list for 389.00

J-Man said:
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/chainsaws/450-50th-anniversary-edition/

He wanted $400
the anni is a little cheeper I beleave

I'm on my second year with my 290 and still enjoy cutting with my saw. I will say that I went to a semi-chisel chain and noticed a big difference over the safety chain. I've cut probably 15 chords of firewood so far and a heap of other brush, limbs, and junk. Most of my wood is white ash and maple, with a touch of oak thrown in.

I've only cut a couple cords with my 290 so far, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's definitely a lot heavier than the homelite I was using, but I don't find it uncomfortable to use. I don't do a lot of limbing either, so that may be part of it. No matter which one you choose I think you will be happy. Moving up to a stihl for me was like night and day, the quality and reliability of this saw puts a big grin on my face every time I use it!

SPED said:
I've only cut a couple cords with my 290 so far, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's definitely a lot heavier than the homelite I was using, but I don't find it uncomfortable to use. I don't do a lot of limbing either, so that may be part of it. No matter which one you choose I think you will be happy. Moving up to a stihl for me was like night and day, the quality and reliability of this saw puts a big grin on my face every time I use it!
A muffler mod and better chain make the smile bigger!

ikessky said:
SPED said:
A muffler mod and better chain make the smile bigger!

Hehe, muffler mod to come once it's out of warranty for sure. And I do have a yellow chain as my spare haven't busted it out yet, but it's comin out for my next log length load!!!

I have about 15 cord into my 290 which I added as a second saw to a husky 142 (small home owner model). I find I still use the husky alot for limbing as it is so much lighter. The 290 weight makes limbing harder work. Now the 290 (with 20" bar) is great for bucking up trunks.
Reading the OP description of its use I may go with the smaller, cheaper and lighter model too. For me, if I'm glad I have both.

I asked this same exact question about 2 months ago and got similiar responses. I ended up going with the 290, as its my only saw and I wanted the extra power. So far i have used it to cut up about 3-4 cords of 4-6' length wood. the saw does a great job, a bit heavy when your using it for a while, but id rather have the weight and the power, i had some larger diameter oak logs that were really trying on the 290, so if i had the 250 I would have not been happy.

from the sounds of it though the 250 may work well for you.

J-Man said:
Stihl Saw Advice 250 or 290?

If you want a saw that you can rely on for years - possibly decades - to cut as much firewood as you'd possibly want to burn, get the 290.

If you want a cute little saw get the 250 and enjoy that $70 left in your pocket.

I went through the same back and forth decision a month ago. Went with the 250 because of the lighter weight. I am very impressed. Easy to start, nice and light and plenty of power for my needs, I have managed to cut about 4 cords into rounds in just a couple evenings.

I was looking at those saws as well as the 270. I ended up going with the 270, a lighter than the 290 and a little more power than the 250. Just my 2 cents.

nevermind. forum issues lead me to believe my post didn't occur in the other similar thread. it posted there, so I don't feel the need to ask the same ? twice.

Heck, I have 2 farm bosses aned a makita ds6401 or some sort. You can never have too many!

When I bought my Quad I received a 200 dollar voucher for any Stihl product. I'll most likely get the 290 farm boss. I used my fathers and liked it a lot as compared to my wild thing. I believe It would go through about anything I would put in front of it. I mean not a 200 year old oak...just sayin

I'm on my third year with the 290. It took some time to get the starting method down. I still pull about 5-6 times before it kicks a little, then I move the switch up one and it takes 1-2 more pulls to get it going. That's a pretty standard procedure for me now. I just cut some beech this morning and that saw is running like a top! I have a slight build, so I've sometimes thought it was a bit heavy for me, but I just deal with it. It's a workhorse!

Hey folks, I just picked up an "as close as you can come to new" 250 off CL...story....the guy bought it to do some storm damage cleanup around his house. He used it for about a tank of gas and then his wife called a tree company over that was down the street. He was a super a nice guy and he explained that the trees were just too big for the little saw. havent had a chance to run it in wood yet but it feels nice and starts right up. Anyway, I'll post a pic and give you some impressions as soon as I can get out. dont need a big saw because I have that covered. just wanted something for quick stuff here and there. My little 136 is getting tired so it may be time to give that one a permanent sabbatical!

homebrewz - actually, I haven't made the purchase yet. When I made this post I had the $ set aside and all the best intentions, but then life got in the way. I had to spend the cash on something else, and work really heated up so I didn't have any time to work outside anyway. I hope to pull the trigger real soon since I have a lot of chainsaw work to do and the ability to take some time off work to get it done. When I do I'll be sure to take some pictures and update this thread.

Well the procrastination is over with - picked up a 290 today. Only had the chance to run it for 20 minutes or so - I like!

J-Man said:
Well the procrastination is over with - picked up a 290 today. Only had the chance to run it for 20 minutes or so - I like!
Good choice. It comes to full power after a few tanks of gas, so get out there and get cutting!!!! Actually, I saw a big improvement with a semi-chisel chain also.

Status
Not open for further replies.