Stihl saw idle low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
I've had my 029 super for about 6 years. Got it used from ebay. From the time I ripped it out of the box its been a perfect saw. Over the past month it will idle so low after a cut it will stop and then require 2-3 pulls with a quick grab on the throttle to get going again. But this problem is not really frequent, maybe once per tank. And not sure if this is related, but for the 3rd time over the past month or so, after fueling up after using a full tank it seems to flood and cant get it started again with a long rest. Any ideas of what to start with?

Dont use choke after the saw is hot not even half choke. If that does not work pop the air filter and clean it!

I think you may be right about the restart. I may have without thinking half choked it. I keep the air filter clean so that's not an issue. But whats up with the occasional stalling?

Always a fresh mix. I have never messed with the idle setting. On the side of the air cover it says H3/4 and L1/4 with a circular arrow in the same direction for both?

Resetting your idle speed: With the saw idling and the chain brake released, turn in the LA screw until the chain begins to rotate. Bump the trigger and back the LA screw off until the chain just stops rotating. Then you need to reset the L mixture screw. Adjust it for max rpm at idle and repeat the LA screw adjustment. Also check the boot that connects the carb to the cylinder. (I think the 029 has this, memory is fuzzy.) An small air leak here can cause the saw to stall on decel due to leaning out the air/fuel charge.

burn it said:
Always a fresh mix. I have never messed with the idle setting. On the side of the air cover it says H3/4 and L1/4 with a circular arrow in the same direction for both?

Leave the H alone (Never turn the H screw clockwise unless you have a tachometer or know what you're doing!!!!!)

Turn the L just a hair counterclockwise

Find the third screw, LA. Turn the LA a little clockwise.
Start the saw..... is the chain moving?
If not, turn the LA screw clockwise until the chain starts to move and then back it off just enough to stop it.

Saw should accelerate smoothly. If it doesn't, turn the L a little further counterclockwise and repeat the LA procedure if needed.

Could be the fuel filter in the tank too? I agree with Jay, do not mess with the high speed unless you know what you are doing. Would not want to see a parts saw in the classifieds!

The tank has a vent that has been known to clog. When it shuts off, lay the saw over and open the fuel cap. Does it hiss? Try to restart and if this improves the situation then verify the vent is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.