stihl saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
currently have a couple of huskys and 2 stihls, 260 and 361 i reaaly like the 260, but the 361 is an awesome saw and will outperform the 390 my buddy has. i am buying a 460 or 441 next, i want the 460 but it has no antivibe. its so confusing and i can see it wont stop till i have 10 saws, i mean i have firewood coming out of my ears and its not enough. i seem to get a lot of really large hardwood that most folks dont want to deal with, at least i know i do not want an 880, 660 is as big as i go, well for now

Someday I need to get a bigger saw, somethign that runs a 20" bar all day long but can scale up to a 24-26 incher for really big stuff. I see alot of ads on CL lately for alot of 4' diameter oak, ash and other stuff that people want to give away, but I have no way to process it with anything resembling efficiency. My 18" Craftsman is a good low end saw, but its not up to that level of work.

I'm very happy with one saw.

mayhem said:
Someday I need to get a bigger saw, somethign that runs a 20" bar all day long but can scale up to a 24-26 incher for really big stuff. I see alot of ads on CL lately for alot of 4' diameter oak, ash and other stuff that people want to give away, but I have no way to process it with anything resembling efficiency. My 18" Craftsman is a good low end saw, but its not up to that level of work.

It doesn't take much saw to run a 20" bar, FWIW

It does when you have an operational saw and no money to spare for a second saw.

Maybe if I break my saw and make it look like an accident...

Not a Stihl, but I have found my 80cc Dolmar 7900 will pull a 20" all day, no problems, and is factory rated to pull up to a 32" - I haven't tried that big, but I have a 28" that I mount for big stuff, and it will run that full depth in maple, no problem.

When I was shopping, I found it was also cheaper and lighter than the Stihl 70cc models...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Not a Stihl, but I have found my 80cc Dolmar 7900 will pull a 20" all day, no problems, and is factory rated to pull up to a 32" - I haven't tried that big, but I have a 28" that I mount for big stuff, and it will run that full depth in maple, no problem.

When I was shopping, I found it was also cheaper and lighter than the Stihl 70cc models...

Gooserider

Well it should. My 56cc 290 does too.

CTBurner said:
currently have a couple of huskys and 2 stihls, 260 and 361 i reaaly like the 260, but the 361 is an awesome saw and will outperform the 390 my buddy has. i am buying a 460 or 441 next, i want the 460 but it has no antivibe. its so confusing and i can see it wont stop till i have 10 saws, i mean i have firewood coming out of my ears and its not enough. i seem to get a lot of really large hardwood that most folks dont want to deal with, at least i know i do not want an 880, 660 is as big as i go, well for now
ported 460 will do anything you throw at it!

talked to the husky dealer today- he is having a sale on his 372XPs told me that the company will be doing away with the 372XP soon (not EPA cert.) He said that that is the best saw for me-- The normal list price is like $800 and he has 8 left @ $660 so I may give myself a gift and pick one up! -- I have been using a Stihl MS310 and it is a great saw. Tough choice to make because the Stihl dealer and the Husky dealers we have in town are both great. So why not have one from each

love my ms460. I may get a ported muffler in the future cause it never has enough power. Nitrous might be good for those tough knots also. Geezz thats off track, any way my 460 runs a 20" bar does great

deck2 said:
will be doing away with the 372XP soon (not EPA cert.) He said that that is the best saw for me--

We've had the 371xp in the family for many years. It happily runs a 20" all day and runs the bigger bar when needed. While probably more saw then we need, it is very productive, a pleasure to operate and hasn't required anything other than routine maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.