stilh 046 for $325 would you go for it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimosufan

Aug 16, 2010
Dayton, OH
Wondering if its worth that?

here is the listing
good saw runs comes with 3 bars 32inch and alot of chains 10-15 chains will need sharpend. the handle was cracked and repaied has been that way for years very soild repair. the crack happend 2 weeks after i bought it new 5 or 6 years ago, so it is fully funtional. chain brake works great chnce to own a saw that was alomost a 1000 bucks new for less than half. plus a bunch of etras call 937 681-8338

A MS 460 for $325..... I know its not the EXACT same as a 460, I am sure there have been "Updates". , Though through the numbers (displacment size/cubic inches) swap, it seems to be.. 5 to 6 yrs old??? When did they transition over from the 029/MS 290. I thought it was longer than that. But not sure, I was a Husqvarna guy till about a month ago. When I bought my 1st Stihl.... Love at first Slice....

Um er ah... Yeah.. Its a BAD DEAL... You live in Dayton I see... Um I wouldnt bother to call (Meanwhile, I have already left my house, so I can sleep in his driveway and catch him on his way out the door, heading to work tomorrow)

LOL..... Yes.. If it runs good, seems to have good compression (Hard to gauge, but if it has none, you should notice). With all the Bars and Chains (Hope there is some meat left on them), it seems like a Great deal..

Bars are about $50 (Roll-o-matic) and chains $20-$25. 15 Chains at $20 is $300.. 3 Bars at $50 is $150.... So $450 in Bars and chains (If in Good Condition, not bent/worn out). He is GIVING you this Saw.

Hope you get it, if not.... I am coming. I have been looking for a 460/660 Need me a Good saw over 70cc.

HittinSteel said:
If it checks out mechanically.....definitely, yes

X 1000 could be a very strong buy!

Prob already sold to someone else because you were busy posting here, lol. I'd buy it if I were you.

i'll after work today? probally be to late....thanks Jim

WTF? you guys sure have a crapload of nice used Stihl saws down there. Seldom see much up this way. Grab that thing, if you don't want it, hold it for me & I'll come get it. A C

Ok I bought the saw today. It ran good, but she dosen't want idol at low rpms. any ideal what the l and h screws should be set at ? that way i have a starting point to get evey thing adjusted. Or any ideal what a dealer would charge for a tune up?

jimosufan said:
Ok I bought the saw today. It ran good, but she dosen't want idol at low rpms. any ideal what the l and h screws should be set at ? that way i have a starting point to get evey thing adjusted. Or any ideal what a dealer would charge for a tune up?

Its the I screw turn 1/16 to the right until it idling right. The high screw is adjusted by ear at wot or tack.

smokinjay said:
jimosufan said:

Its the I screw turn 1/16 to the right until it idling right. The high screw is adjusted by ear at wot or tack.
How the heck do you have over 12,000 posts already. Don't you have some wood to be milling? ;)

Jim, pics or it never happened...

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
jimosufan said:

How the heck do you have over 12,000 posts already. Don't you have some wood to be milling? ;)

Jim, pics or it never happened...

I do! MMAUL got sick.....Black walnut 880 you need to people! ;-)

as soon as i get running the way i think it should... but knew to all of this, just hope i didnt get screwed.

jimosufan said:
as soon as i get running the way i think it should... but knew to all of this, just hope i didnt get screwed.

Turn both H & L screws all the way in till they stop, be gentle, back each out 1 turn, & tune from there, if she bogs while going up take the L out 1/16 of a turn, & try again. Once the thing will rev up w no hesitation set the LA screw/idle speed up or in, till the chain starts to move, then back off till it stops. This is your "base tune" from here, let her warm up good, then rev wot & take H screw out till the saw stutters, or "fourstrokes" slightly. Now, lay it into a round & let the engine load, if it smooths out you're good, if it still misses a little go in just a bit with the H screw & try again. Once you know what the saw sounds like, you'll know how to tune for temp & humidity very quickly & get the most out of your saw. Or send it up here, & I'll tune foe a couple years & get it back to you. :lol: A C

If it's running, then worst case scenario would be that it needs a whole new carb. It probably does not, but needs adjusting like AC and Jay said. Even if you have to rebuild or buy a new carb you did not get screwed.

Jay, I'd help you mill that BW if I was closer. I'll drive there tomorrow if I get to keep the 880 after the BW is milled.

Danno77 said:
If it's running, then worst case scenario would be that it needs a whole new carb. It probably does not, but needs adjusting like AC and Jay said. Even if you have to rebuild or buy a new carb you did not get screwed.

Jay, I'd help you mill that BW if I was closer. I'll drive there tomorrow if I get to keep the 880 after the BW is milled.

As long as you bring Cash! ;-)

Well after finding some time, a new spark plug, and gas filter, the 046 is up and running. Took the muffler off and the piston looks good. Now I just need some wood to try it out on. So far for 325 and 9 more for the plug and filter I'm pretty pleased. If it wasn't for you members I might have passed, thanks Jim here are the pics

Attachments

• GEDC2379 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC2379 (800x600).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 240
  • GEDC2378 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC2378 (800x600).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 268
  • GEDC2380 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC2380 (800x600).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 244
  • GEDC2382 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC2382 (800x600).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 258
  • GEDC2381 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC2381 (800x600).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 246
  • GEDC2383 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC2383 (800x600).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 255
Very nice!! Now send it here asap for that tuning, I'll get it back to you in couple years, I promise.

Besides a carb rebuild, I'd be ready to replace all fuel lines & filter, and maybe even crank seals or whatever is causing a crankcase leak.

How does it start & how does it run @WOT, presuming you've got a sharp chain on it? Compression test results?

no compression test but she seems to run good. I just need some wood to try it out, then I"ll have better ideal

jimosufan said:
Well after finding some time, a new spark plug, and gas filter, the 046 is up and running. Took the muffler off and the piston looks good. Now I just need some wood to try it out on. So far for 325 and 9 more for the plug and filter I'm pretty pleased. If it wasn't for you members I might have passed, thanks Jim here are the pics

Looks good jimosufan, just in time for football season.

zap

where could i buy compression test gauge for small engines? Or what might a shop charge for the test? I'ts simple to do.

jimosufan said:
where could i buy compression test gauge for small engines? Or what might a shop charge for the test? I'ts simple to do.

If it runs good and when pull starting it feels some what hard to pull no need for a test!

smokinjay said:
jimosufan said:

If it runs good and when pull starting it feels some what hard to pull no need for a test!

+1 Right on.
jimosufan: Amazon has a decent compression tester for around $20.Works pretty good.

Make sure the compression tester has a shraeder valve....if not, it is worthless for checking small engine compression. I bought mine at advanced auto. It worked well for a while and then took a crap. I now like Jay said, have a pretty good "feel" for compression and don't use a tester.

BTW, that looks to be a great buy. If that saw runs good, you may never see a deal that good again on a chainsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.