stilh 046 for $325 would you go for it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well took the 046 to a local stihl dealer today and for 10 bucks tested the compression..................................................It came in at 160 psi That right there makes me very happy, Assuming that's as high as the compression gets for the 046. Any knowledge what it should be? like I said this deal keeps getting better.

jimosufan said:
Well took the 046 to a local stihl dealer today and for 10 bucks tested the compression..................................................It came in at 160 psi That right there makes me very happy, Assuming that's as high as the compression gets for the 046. Any knowledge what it should be? like I said this deal keeps getting better.

No it isnt.. ;-) But its good enough and if its running strong thats what counts. ( should last long time)

thought it was a little weak could pull it without using the decompression valve. But seems to run strong ,"have yet to put in some wood". still think its a good buy?

jimosufan said:
thought it was a little weak could pull it without using the decompression valve. But seems to run strong ,"have yet to put in some wood". still think its a good buy?

At 160 I would not worry about it to much. New rings and squash the head 175-180 pretty cheaply. Really though 160 not bad!

ok Jay any ideal what it should be or what it would take, or just not worry about it till i have to ?

jimosufan said:
ok Jay any ideal what it should be or what it would take, or just not worry about it till i have to ?

170 pretty par but now your really on a test that I would pay for. (just not that accurate to make big decision on) I can tell just by running one. Get a good chain on there and do a video of it in a log that tell more than anything you can do!

I'll respectfully disagree with Jay (think he's used to his ported saw)........ 160 lbs is outstanding. I would have bought the saw at that price with 140lbs.

I would say 150 and above is the sign of a very healthy saw.

HittinSteel said:
I'll respectfully disagree with Jay (think he's used to his ported saw)........ 160 lbs is outstanding. I would have bought the saw at that price with 140lbs.

I would say 150 and above is the sign of a very healthy saw.

Ahhh A voice of reason, I do feel 160 is good! (or ave on a 046/460) I would do a thing. I also never believe a psi test either. Put it in the wood and run it! I am saying run it,and feel good about 160 if you are a believer of the psi test. (Its a tool that at best is a guess) 5 percent off and its worthless. ;-) But if I just couldnt stand it I would just re-ring it and squarsh the head with a ported muff. call it a hot work saw. (and to get a dead on even 160psi tells me there is fuzz there to) lol Video Time!

I'd muffler mod it or add the factory dual port, re-tune and away we go!

HittinSteel said:
I'd muffler mod it or add the factory dual port, re-tune and away we go!

Op better learn to hang on....This is a lot of of saw compared to his other saws.

can't wait to hang on, my plan is to get a 25" bar and chain for normal bucking but use the 32" when needed. should be all I'll ever need seeing how all my stuff has been scrounges so far. I just feel the bigger saw will mean less work for me in the long run. I jumped in feet first only my second year burning 2 saws and a spliter, time to make them pay for themselves.

jimosufan said:
can't wait to hang on, my plan is to get a 25" bar and chain for normal bucking but use the 32" when needed. should be all I'll ever need seeing how all my stuff has been scrounges so far. I just feel the bigger saw will mean less work for me in the long run. I jumped in feet first only my second year burning 2 saws and a spliter, time to make them pay for themselves.

25 kinda a weird chain look at a 24 inch. ;-)

Jay will look into 24" bar and chain. Local shop want 16.50 +tax to sharpen 32" chain....is that high? seems high but I don't really know. thanks jim

I would invest in a good Hand-Filing kit (even for a 32" chain!) and learn to sharpen your own chains. Or jump in on your own grinder for about $130. Paying someone else to sharpen your chains gets real expensive real fast.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327449_200327449

10 32" chains = $165.00

I don't know about your shop but seems most of the local shops here also like to grind half of the chisel off each time they sharpen chains regardless if the chain is in decent shape or was used to make gravel. They also seldom grind the raker teeth (depth gauges) so even if they do deliver a sharp chain it cuts as slow as it did dull, if at all. That annoys me to no end. Most have never seen the gauging tool to properly set-up angles/rakers. And no matter what chain you give them, they're going to sharpen it at 30 degree angles regardless of the original angles. Hope that's what you wanted. And one final horror story, sharpening chain is a tedious job, especially if you do a lot of it at once. Usually it's handed off to the new kid working part-time who is in such a hurry to finish and get on to something (anything!) else that he doesn't notice the chisel teeth turning blue from all the extra heat!

I hand sharpen until I notice the chain cutting more to one side or not performing as I'd like and then put them on the grinder to make 'em right.

I was fortunate to be taught by an elderly semi-retired gentleman who saw potential in the new kid and took the time to show him all the right tricks to getting it done right.

jimosufan said:
Jay will look into 24" bar and chain. Local shop want 16.50 +tax to sharpen 32" chain....is that high? seems high but I don't really know. thanks jim

It is time to learn to sharpen. If you hand sharpen with chain on the bar you can knock out a 32 inch skip chain ( Pretty sure thats whats on there) in about 10 min's with out the rakers. Thats a dollar somthing a min. ;-)

well I ran the saw on small 16 log, and i love the power, nose heavy with the 32" bar but big difference from the echo. Its also has a full chisel chain vs the semi chisel.

That's a lot of teeth.... I had a 28" that was a pain. I'd rather make cuts from each side of a big log with a 20 or 24"

Some times you cant even get to the other side...lol

Attachments

• oak10.jpg
    oak10.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 185
Sjay was that a pic of a huge cottonwood?

jimosufan said:
Sjay was that a pic of a huge cottonwood?

Thats Red Oak! Its was over 50 inchs. Biggest I have seen or done.

thats crazy huge. Did you mill any of it?

jimosufan said:
thats crazy huge. Did you mill any of it?

No I said the same thing as you! bet thats an easy 200 man hours.

Well I got to run the 046 in a sliver maple that a storm took out, about a 28" branch. Let me say one thing I love the bigger saw, Makes my echo look and feel like a toy. Might make a little money if they want the rest of the tree taken down. Then going to buy a new 24" bar and chain. I told the wife I was getting more wood, and she said "where are you going to put it?" My answer "going to make space for four more cords this winter".

Status
Not open for further replies.