stilh HT 101 Telescoping Pole Pruner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smilejamaica

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2008
hartford ct
i was wondering if anyone can tell me if stilh HT 101 Telescoping Pole Pruner is worth the extra money for a homeowner versus a Professional using it. or should i just buy a cheap Poulan Pro PP338PT 8-Inch 33cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Pole saw

I have been looking at getting one too. But it seems the shaft is week on the sthil. Echo seems to be the one to get if you want a pro quality pole saw. Not knowing how much you are going to use one I can't tell you weather you want a homeowner or pro. But I have over two miles of trails I need to clean up so I am going with a pro when I get one.

Billy

thanks , was looking at the husqvarna pole saws first then someone told me to always get a stilh. they have the same saw on baileysonline.com for 549.89 im also going to give the echo a good look .. thanks for the responses

HT series saws from Stihl are very good units. I have little experience with the other brands so I cannot offer any comparisons. Do you really need a telescoping shaft? That tends to add a lot of weight to the units and Stihl makes very good pole saw attachments (the cutter head is identical) for it's KM series powerheads. Extention shafts are available as well as multiple other tools.

I've been putting that Stihl KM chainsaw attachment through its paces for over a year and it has performed very well.

Only problem with the Stihl is the troublesome fuel and oil caps. They can be a real issue when trying to put them back on. I had a recall on my backpack blower for the cap. They claim it is caused by ethanol in the gas. I don't know why they can't just use a simple screw on cap like everybody else.

smilejamaica said:
i was wondering if anyone can tell me if stilh HT 101 Telescoping Pole Pruner is worth the extra money for a homeowner versus a Professional using it. or should i just buy a cheap Poulan Pro PP338PT 8-Inch 33cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Pole saw

We have the Stihl (I'll check the Model number tonight) we use it around the house on the White Pines, works great.

We never have a problem with the caps.

zap

thanks for the responses im going to take my time buying a pole saw im going to check them out in person first . so many choices... that way i can save up a little more cash for one

I have the 131. It's a high end unit with more power than the 101. A farm supply store here had a very rare Stihl sale this fall. Local tree service folks and our utility run these or the 101. I've never heard of a problem with the pole on these. Its light weight and strong with just the right amount of flex. The 4 stoke engine is awesome. Some Stihl dealers rent them for about 50 bucks/day. You can do a lot of cutting in one day (but your arms will be worthless the next). The caps are only a problem for those who overfill the tank. These caps go into the tank a little so it needs a small amount of air to seat properly.

The Echo Pro-Attach stuff is the way to go for a homeowner. I got the power head, pole Pruner, weed whacker and a pole extension for around $500-$600 - cannot remember exactly. Thinking about getting one more extension.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series

What's interesting about those Echo models (and most attachments) is that they are the same price or a little more expensive than the Stihl Kombi unit of the same/similar displacement.

I have not seen the Stihl stuff. My local dealer is a Husq and Echo mostly...so Husq saw and the Echo attachment set up. Local landscapers use the echo attachment stuff with good reports and minimal break downs or issues...and they work that stuff way harder than I do.

TreePointer said:
What's interesting about those Echo models (and most attachments) is that they are the same price or a little more expensive than the Stihl Kombi unit of the same/similar displacement.

Especially considering the complexity of the 4-Mix engine on all but the smallest KM powerheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.