Still a thrill with a good score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Ok, after 6 yrs of burning, it was getting tiresome. I used to be "Mr woodburning guy". Scrounge/split/stack, etc. Then it became work. A lot of work. But I was working almost 60 hrs a week, 3 weekends a month, and I'm single. So I got to do everything else around the house too.. The trailer on the back of the HHR was a PITA, but better than the Aveo with rounds on the backseat. I bought a new truck. Loaded up the new pup last week and went scrounging for pallets. On of my spots was a JACKPOT. Kiln dried Oak, about 3/4 of an inch thick, built to hold flooring polymer. Clean. Oak. And no competition from the guys that get them to trade in because they are odd shape, therefore not re-sellable apparently!
WoooHooo..
I loaded up over the roof of the truck twice. I am good for a while. I plan to go back and grab all that I can, process them, and be done with it!
This score kinda makes it worth it again.
NJT is back.

Sounds like you found a jackpot on some decent pallets. I burnt a bunch of pallets last year in my house stove and in my shop stove (smoke dragon). Thing about pallets is, you cut them up, and they're ready to be burnt.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice score.
Perfect timing to get excited about wood again. Winter is close ;)

Oak sure burns great, but half of the battle with it is the long drying time. Your score solves that 'cause it's kiln dried. I took a hiatus from wood gathering since last spring, too (sources dried up and we're 3 years ahead). Take care not to load the stove completely with all that small 3/4" stuff lest the stove run away past HOT into meltdown.. Nice score!

Nothing like a good scrounge to get you back in the game!

This is exactly why I have 3 hobbies! I fish a lot but its easy to get burned out if im not catching much, then I work on my diesel but that usually turns into "work" too! Lastly I started cutting wood and I believe I do it for stress relief. Once I have relieved enough stress I grab the pole and head back to the river LOL! Your a lifer NJT no worries there, everybody needs a break once in a while, nice work on the oak pallet score and new truck!!

Reactions: albert1029
I brought my last scrounge to the house on New Year's Day, and stacked my last split on April Fool's Day this year. I ran out of room at the house. I did other stuff all summer and now I am ready to get back into it.

Ok, after 6 yrs of burning, it was getting tiresome. I used to be "Mr woodburning guy". Scrounge/split/stack, etc. Then it became work. A lot of work. But I was working almost 60 hrs a week, 3 weekends a month, and I'm single. So I got to do everything else around the house too.. The trailer on the back of the HHR was a PITA, but better than the Aveo with rounds on the backseat. I bought a new truck. Loaded up the new pup last week and went scrounging for pallets. On of my spots was a JACKPOT. Kiln dried Oak, about 3/4 of an inch thick, built to hold flooring polymer. Clean. Oak. And no competition from the guys that get them to trade in because they are odd shape, therefore not re-sellable apparently!
WoooHooo..
I loaded up over the roof of the truck twice. I am good for a while. I plan to go back and grab all that I can, process them, and be done with it!
This score kinda makes it worth it again.
NJT is back.

After 50+ years of burning, it is still not getting tiresome. I enjoy it. And yes, I've worked those long hours before too so I know what it is like. No, I do not miss that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.