Still Burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
March 5 and still burning. not quite 24/7 but we are burning. Some nights we have had to crack a window just a bit but if you don't have the stove going, you would be cold.

You and me both, im on my second load of the day. Historicaly March is our snowiest month. April and may dont fall to far behind. Not last year but the year before my fourth of july party got snowed out. I think i will be burning for some time longer. Im almost out of wood, YIKES!

It was warm today, but absolutely not too warm to keep the stove running. Supposed to be 60 degrees later in the week, so I guess we'll have to let the stove go out that day. It's actually WAY too warm in the house tonight for my taste and the stoves been pretty much damper shut all day and night.

Got the floor to floor blower running on low, but mom says it's way too hot upstairs too. Can't keep everyone happy i suppose.

I sure hope the winter doesn't last too much longer though, we don't have a lot of coal left, probably about 3/4 of a ton. Don't have much wood ready to be burned either though. Gotta make some serious wood scrounging trips this week. I've been looking everywhere, but not having much luck.

Well I havn't officially stepped into next years supply. All told I probly have 3/4 cord of wood left from the stuff I had eyeballed to burn this year. I think I had more set aside for this year than I had originally estimated. I try to be conservative when I estimate what I have at the ready. making a proper wood shed this year should help me get a better handle on what I'm burning each season.

4 plus cords gone and burning tonight mid to low 20's. Not too bad Lot better than teens and single digits all last week.
First day above freezing in 10 days. I hope golf season is not far away. I admit I have had enough, Made it threw with 2 real dry cords left

Burned about 3.5, have about 2 left. But then that's all I've got cut/split. Bunch of downed trees on a friend's woodlot, but our weather has been really bad for that sort of thing. Either so cold it's tough to work - single digits - or warm so the ground is too soft to get the truck in (least without tearing everything up).

Steve

Corie you sound like your in the same part of the country as me. I live on the Ohio Michigan border 32dagrees today 20ts tonight but the promise of near 60 by the weekend. Am still burning 24/7 I just put new line on my spinning reel and plain on fishing the Maumee River for some Walleye. Nothing taste better than fresh cold walleye right in the skillet with a ice cold beer followed by putting my feet up in front of some cosy heat. Elk man were do you live?? Sounds like your winter is even longer than ours in northern Ohio!! No wonder your ready to play some golf! As much as well all love heating with alternitve sourses we all love when we dont have to!

Had a small fire yesterday during the late morning into late afternoon and let it die out. In Maine, it was rather warm yesterday (in the 30s). My house was 76. Warmer today so no fire. House is super insulated so I'm glad I got the day off from burning :)

2.5 cord burnt. burning once a nite. stove to big for the house. got up this morning to 18 degrees but daytime is in the 40's so no day burning for me.

in upper mass.

Been kind of a hit-and-miss affair for me. If we can make it up to 60's and sun during the day and not drop out of the 30's during the night, the house will do OK on just passive solar. But we had a cloudy/cool day yesterday so I lit the stove off last night. Decided to throw in some snaggled up pieces of wood for the overnight burn. Of course I couldn't pack them in the stove very tight, so they all lit off at once. Woke up about 2am sweating all the way back in the bedroom. Walked down to the family room on the other end of the house and it must have been 100F+ in there.

Corey

We were out of town this past Saturday - so the fire which I had going for weeks nonstop went out. Left it stay out for a few days, since it hasn't been super cold... but now I'm getting tired of hearing the gas heater come on all the $#%% time! Lighting the stove back up tonight!

When the temps start hitting the upper 30's to 40's I only burn an evening fire after I get home from work. The house usually stays above 70 until the next evening.

Almost burned through 3 cords.

gone through about 3 cord of wood so far and have 3/4 cord left. I don't think we are going to make it all year with dry wood. It was our first year with the house and stove so much of our wood was left from the previous owners, unfortunately they had it under tarp for 3 years and about 2 out of 3 cord rotted so we had to scrounge for wood this fall. I have bought 4 cord of 4' hardwood for next year and always on the look out for free or near opportunities to scrounge. Lots of free pine available that I may have to tap into as an emergency supply for next year. I will not run out of wood next year!

Hell, its been a nice warm winter here in N NY. I only have gone through just about 3 tons of corn since October and 1 tank of fuel oil to heat hot water. I just leave the stove on low constantly and the fan running in the hallway and all is fine if you can stand 60F in the bedroom which is just right for us.

Well, we "were" thinking spring here. Daffodils and cherry trees blooming. I even got peas in the ground. Then nature decided to pull a switch and we're back in the cold again. Low 30's during the night and 40's during the day. (Cold for us.) It's a pretty big system, so I suspect it'll hit the east soon. Don't put away the woolies yet.

Burnt 2.5 cords + 2.25 tons of pellets so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.