Still can't find one.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
I've been looking since this summer for a poly brush to clean the Simpson oval Duraliner. I think the ID is 4 1/4" x 7 1/2". Simpson says to not use a steel brush. Contacted tech desk at Simpson & was told that Rutland has an oval brush. Checked Rutland & they only have steel in an oval brush. It is actually manufactured by Schaffer. The kicker is the SMALL oval brush is
4 1/2" x 10 1/4". It just seems that that large dimension will cause the brush to get stuck. Oh yeah, it's also discounted to $92 & will take 3 > 5 weeks to get. Emailed Casey Brush about a custom oval poly brush & they never replied. Contacted Northline & they said they could provide one for $125 & it would take 4 > 6 weeks.

I know many other woodburners must have an oval liner. Where did you get a brush for it? I've posted here this summer about this. One forum member said he would check Copperfields. I ended up finding their catalog online & could only find the Rutland in it. They also don't sell to the public. Anybody have an answer for me.
Thanks
Al

If all else fails, you can get an 8" round poly and shape it with a set of side cut pliers. Quite a bit cheaper too.

gasavage said:
If all else fails, you can get an 8" round poly and shape it with a set of side cut pliers. Quite a bit cheaper too.

I may have to go this route. Should I try to make it exact size or 1/2" larger all around? I'm amazed that no one else has jumped in on this topic.
Al

i would compare a normal round brush diameter vs the round pipe it's intended to clean
measure the difference & copy the same dims for your oval

I measured my bruch this morning...6" with a tape measure. Don't know what the exact ID of the pipe is. The bruch cannot be too much larger than the pipe otherwise it would be a real b---- to get the brush to "reverse" in the pipe.

I would make my own out of an 8" round Poly Brush, as Gasavage said. I would make it the same size as the oval, not larger. You should be able to pick up an 8" poly brush for less than $20.

I'll be cutting down a poly to clean my Simpson oval, so another vote for that

Tried caseybrush again. Only this time I called. Found out that the email address on the web site is not valid. As far as the custom order form, couldn't use it. I have two computers & using both Firefox & IE, I could not scroll the page down far enough to get to the submit button. I am starting to see this on more sites. Usually if I tab down, then I can get all the info & submit button to show. On their site, I could not. What is wrong with web site designers? OK, rant over.

Once I spoke to the sales rep, she said the same thing as Simpson, "use only a poly brush on a steel liner". They could provide a custom poly brush for $62 & it would take 2 > 3 weeks. So I went & ordered it.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.