Still can't get any wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
It's been cold here for a a few days so I thought I'd go to the woods and get some wood I have cut.
the field was frozen good. Got to the woods and it was hardly froze at all. I wish I'd cleared all the leaves off
the trail a week ago. next year I'll take a leaf blower to the trails. My brother took his 4 x 4 in the woods and cut some
big ruts. I still have plenty of wood but would like to get some more brought home. now it snowed about 4 " on top
of the leaves and a big warm up with rain for next week.

The woods here were mud until last week, when it all froze solid, leaves or no leaves. Now we have had 8 inches of snow in the past two days, so it is officially winter in Central PA.

9 degrees yesterday morning with calm wind when I started bucking,splitting & stacking that green White & Bur Oak & straightening up my processing area.High for the day was 11 just before I finished.Not bad really,if the wind was blowing 40-50 MPH like it was earlier in the week,I'd stayed inside of working ;-P .About 2 inches snow on the ground,those leaves underneath were a bit slippery,especially walking up & down those steep slopes.

Lo 20's today & it may hit 40 here tommorow with possible mid 40's later next week,so that's nice.

We got around 7-8" of powder overnight, so the sled is gassed up and I pulled my firewood sleigh out from behind the woodpile, going over to the farm tomorrow morning to cut some of that dead white oak....I've been waiting all damn winter for some snow to get that good oak! And now, they are calling for rain on Monday and a warm up so I'm gonna bust ass and get some of that out of the woods while we have snow on the ground. I don't like using my house firewood to cook the syrup so I gotta get some wood for cooking the sap, its almost maple syrup season!! One of my favorite times of the year!

woodsmaster said:
It's been cold here for a a few days so I thought I'd go to the woods and get some wood I have cut.
the field was frozen good. Got to the woods and it was hardly froze at all. I wish I'd cleared all the leaves off
the trail a week ago. next year I'll take a leaf blower to the trails. My brother took his 4 x 4 in the woods and cut some
big ruts. I still have plenty of wood but would like to get some more brought home. now it snowed about 4 " on top
of the leaves and a big warm up with rain for next week.

Frozen up here with maybe a couple of inches of snow, rain coming in on Monday.

zap

Haven't been back in the woods for a few days now but the last time I found some area that were hard and others with mud.

Backwoods Savage said:
Haven't been back in the woods for a few days now but the last time I found some area that were hard and others with mud.

I think if I'd removed the leaves it would have been frozen. Acts as an insulation blanket.

i think you need to keep your brother out of the woods.....or, have him bring back a load in his 4 x 4 when he is out making ruts.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
i think you need to keep your brother out of the woods.....or, have him bring back a load in his 4 x 4 when he is out making ruts.

cass

Only problem is we both own the woods so I can't do much about it other than complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.