Still cleaning up from Sandy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
We are CSS a lot of wood but recently found a lot of what we call river birch, when split it is very red and almost wet. How long until it is ready to burn moisture over 30%. Still have wood for this year ready, will it be ready for next year or should I put on the stacks for 2015/2016?

Birch is some good stuff , its a medium hardwood . Kinda ranks with cherry and softmaple . C/S/S and ready for next season .

Single stack it in the sun and wind, it will be ready next year, I bet...

Sounds like black birch, premium fire wood. Keep it off the ground and top covered. preferably with an air gap between the wood and the cover.

I've done a lot of research on this, but I'm also no expert (I just had a cord of River Birch dropped today). River Birch and Sweet Birch are both referred to as Black Birch. Sweet Birch (Betula Lenta) is an amazing hardwood, smells sweet like mint, seasons quickly (1 year), and has the same BTU output as White Oak: 24-26 range depending on chart. River Birch (Betula Nigra) is a soft hardwood, and from what I can gather has a more consistent BTU output as White Birch: 19-20 range depending on chart.

You're right about the black birch. When splitting it, it has a nice chewing gum aroma.:)

Keep birch off the ground or it becomes the ground rather quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.