Still getting ready and some questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow&Flame

Minister of Fire
Jun 6, 2011
Central Arkansas
I am still in the process of getting ready for the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 insert to be installed.
I have been looking into an IR Gun, as per BeGreens suggestion. What temps should I be looking for and where on the T5 insert should I be getting the temps from? I looked for a thread that had a step by step temp reading process, but couldn't find anything.

Something else that I am working on...I have a 2 & 5/8" drop from the hearth to the bottom of my firebox on the fireplace. I am looking into putting a stainless steel framework to fill in the gap. There isn't anything on the bottom of the insert that I need to worry about is there?

You will be guiding us somewhat, though I would be willing to tell you what door temps I am reading on the T6 for comparison. As for the drop, I would think putting a sheet of 18 or 20ga steel on some bricks would be more than sufficient for supporting the insert.

Well, a trial by fire kinda thing huh(literally)...just don't want to over fire the thing.

As for the base, I have the stainless and I am doing the work myself. I thought about
just plate or regular steel tubing, but didn't want to have to worry about rust.

Thanks BeGreen...there should be some sort of rewards program on here for you guys.

Shadow&Flame; said:
I am still in the process of getting ready for the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 insert to be installed.
I have been looking into an IR Gun, as per BeGreens suggestion. What temps should I be looking for and where on the T5 insert should I be getting the temps from? I looked for a thread that had a step by step temp reading process, but couldn't find anything.

Something else that I am working on...I have a 2 & 5/8" drop from the hearth to the bottom of my firebox on the fireplace. I am looking into putting a stainless steel framework to fill in the gap. There isn't anything on the bottom of the insert that I need to worry about is there?

Look forward to see seeing what a T-5 insert looks like! Here is the IR gun I use and it works well:

http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-MT6-No...0B5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316815896&sr=8-1

It comes with a soft case to store it in too.. Spend a few bucks more for this one it's worth it..

Ray

Raybonz- Thanks for the heads up on the IR Themo. Will check it out. I hope the T5 runs as good as she looks... Where to you think I will need to take a reading from on break in fires? I want to make sure I get this done right...

Shadow&Flame; said:
Raybonz- Thanks for the heads up on the IR Themo. Will check it out. I hope the T5 runs as good as she looks... Where to you think I will need to take a reading from on break in fires? I want to make sure I get this done right...

The hottest spot on your stove.. Om this stove it's near the exit flue.. IR's are good for finding the hot spot..

Ray

Normally this is hidden by the surround so it's not possible.

Shadow&Flame; said:
On the insert model will I be able to take a reading off the exit flue?

I gotta look up your insert.. On the T-5 I have the butterfly cooktop so I have access to the actual firebox top.. Think it will be more of a challenge with an insert especially with the cast iron panels as they will not tell you the true firebox temp..

Ray

For most inserts, the best place to measure is in the air chamber. I don't know the T-5 so I going off of other inserts. The bottom of the air chamber is the stove top. The top plate of the chamber is not where you want to read. There's enough a gap to put a temp gauge or get an IR reading. If you look directly in the chamber with a flashlight, you should see the stove flue running through it.

From looking at the owners manual, I would very much doubt being able to take
a reading off anything but the door. It has a cast iron top that clips into place right
above the door and I dont want to have to take in on and off all the time. I will just
have to use the swag theorem with it...and hope for the best.

See the gap where i have the thermometer? This is where the air exits the stove from the blower. I would think most inserts have this setup where you can see the stove pipe in the rear of this chamber. I can see mine when i shine a flashlight in there.

Attachments

• Hampton_Rutland.jpg
    Hampton_Rutland.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 153
Stejus-Thanks for the input...I will have to take a look at it when its installed to find out more about it. The manual doesnt show very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.