Still in the guest quarters...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
...but we're making the most of it. Major remodel maybe (finally) winding down on our home across the driveway. Meantime we're making do in our guest quarters above the workshop/garages. Shop stove is crankin' every day now, and we've had some success leaving the inside door to our upstairs quarters open and a small fan running at the bottom doorway to encourage cool air to come down the stairway toward the shop and warm air to find its way upstairs. Since we're leaving that door open, the cats (Charlie & Rascal) have become quite accustomed to hanging out with me downstairs in the shop, in lieu of where they used to hang out in front of the big Lopi in the house. (SOON, guys, I promise!). Rick

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 589
Looks like they are taking bet on when you are going to stuff that thing with more wood so they can FINALLY get some more sleep! ;-P

LOL, I just love it how house pets are drawn to the fire esp cats. Their probably say'en to each other... "does life get any better than this?"

Just wondering, would a cat that's never seen a wood stove touch it? lol. Our wood stove will soon be ready for install, and I'm worried about our 3 year old being curious and wanting to jump on it. Should I maybe hold him up to the fire so he feels the intense heat? Or you think he'll be fine, and won't wanna jump on it. ?

Animals just seem to get it. I think they feel the heat of it before they get there and just sidle up until they're at their tolerance.

I've never heard of a pet touching a hot stove, but I'd bet a big goofy young lab or something might do it... once :)

Look at my signiture, I can say with the utmost certainty that a big goof lab has touched the stove...exactly once. A cat has lost almost a half inch of wiskers to the stove as well. Both kids are faring fine with it though!

My 2 cats do the same thing,they come running as soon as I open the furance door.

Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- you just have to love the personalities of your pets- you know? One of my bro's dogs (chocolate lab) would probably need more than one encounter.

Yes, in fact I know some people like that! :)

I see your cats are enjoying the clean glass....."Hey Charlie, check out Alpha males clean glass!".......

WoodButcher

We have two dogs, and we just added two kittens to the household. My wife was riding her bicycle last Sunday and found two kittens in the grass by a corn field along the side of the road. No idea if they were dumped, or where mama cat might be. We're bottle feeding them right now.

I'm sure the new kitties (Troy and Willey) will spend plenty of time in front of the stove.

-SF

Melted whiskers are sometimes your only clue to how close they've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.