Still Or Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
OK... how do you say it?

I used to say "Still" until my FIL corrected me, even showed me in the book how it's supposed to be pronounced. Now I notice that folks around here mostly say Steel, maybe because we're all a bunch of bleeding heart libs who would never dream of insulting someone's nationality by mispronouncing their fine Germanic name.

When I call Bailley's, or talk to anyone out west or from Canada, they bust a gut when I say Steel, and say, "Oh... you mean Still? I don't give a $hit how the Germans say it."

Oops... what about the Mid-West. Do you say "Stile"?

Steel, one of their commercials went out of the way to emphasize that.

Bigg_Redd said:
Germany lost not one but 2 wars. Pronounce it however you want.

Ha. Good point.

It's steel in my neck of the woods.

Where I'm from originally= Still. 'round here it's is a mix, but mostly Still. I know it's Steel, but ussually don't say it that way

Usually Steel, sometimes still.

Of course I call a creek a crick, water is wooder, caramel is carmel, etc.

"A bargain is only a deal, when it's a Stihl".

Steel, only way I've ever heard it.

Isn't it Andreas' last name or something? In that case, out of respect, it should be pronounced properly. Of course, that's not taking into account what a few of you have referred to--dialect. My new baby's name is Tucker, but here in NE most people can't say 'er' sounds so it often comes out "Tucka." Eeek.

S

Steel. creek, wash (not worsh), However you say things Ill probably know what your talking about. And when Im done laughing Ill reply..lol j/t

"A pickle is only a dill, when it's a still."

thinkxingu said:
Isn't it Andreas' last name or something? In that case, out of respect, it should be pronounced properly. Of course, that's not taking into account what a few of you have referred to--dialect. My new baby's name is Tucker, but here in NE most people can't say 'er' sounds so it often comes out "Tucka." Eeek.

S

He's pushing up daisys I think, but his son Hans Peter is chairman of the board

I've never heard anyone pronounce it any way other than "steel". Looking at the word structure I wouldn't think there would be any other way to pronounce it.

Never heard anyone call a Stihl a Still . . . always called a Stihl ("steel") here . . . now on the other hand I have heard folks butcher Husqvarna (in fact I am guilty of that myself).

I have been made fun of for pronouncing it "steel" but the first thing it tells you on their website is how to say it.

The Germans also gave us

dqeox3xzf6cic6x.jpg

I seriously doubt she gives a dayum how you pronounce Stihl. And if you paid good coin for that Stihl, you got the right to call it what you will. But if you call it 'Still' around here, people will think yer some sorta City Boi.

Never heard it called anything but a "steel" around here. The website says "steel". The commercials say "steel". Everybody else is just WRONG. :snake:

well now, I always thought it was pronounced "steal"...thanks guys. the veil of shame is lifted.

Pronounce it anyway you like,,,its still/steel one of the best saws available,,,if not the best saw around !!!!

Steel.

What really pi$$es me off is when people say nucUlear instead of nuclear. Usually pretty important people talking about pretty important things. I think I even saw Bush make this mistake. It demonstrates complete ignorance IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.