Still shaking my head about this installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Well the Lopi Freedom is sitting in the garage of the new owners’ home. So I’m scoping out the installation and this is what I found

He has a free standing Nashua, the one with a tiny glass window

Appearance wise looks decent, but this post is about the venting

One has to wonder what good is having a damper block off plate,

When the connector pipe exits ½” bellow the plate. That’s right,, it does not even pass threw the plate.

Mind you this is a free standing stove not a sealed insert. ,

Talk about living dangerously The original installation was professionally installed?

Come on.. .thats what draft is for, it just sucks the smoke up the pipe... till the wind blows outside.

Metal has it exactly - this is no different than a draft hood - or, it acts as a natural barometric....

I suspect it was not installed that way, but that the pipe was cleaned at one time and installed deeper down into the stove, or the plate removed and then installed up a big higher.

BTW, all EPA stove testing setups use a draft hood - although it is 15 feet up. They call it a "dilution tunnel".

The new insert will have a full liner so this will solve that crappy setup It could have been done by a chimney sweep after sweeping the chimney and not attaching it back right.
In any event it would have been an improvement if it at least terminated in the first clay flue.

In the time of Nashua (1978-1980), a metal plate was the exception - and the idea of connection (let along the supplies for doing it) were a pipe dream to most installers. But you are right that perhaps a sweep should have suggested an upgrade...heck, maybe they did and the owner said "it works fine".

Some sweeps go further and "red tag" stuff or refuse to clean it and put it back together the way it was. I guess the ideal is somewhere in between - making certain that the customer knows in writing that an upgrade would be a good thing.

How bad is the chimney itself? Is there a lot of glaze? It's a shame to put in a full liner when there is a big tar buildup.

Webmaster said:
BTW, all EPA stove testing setups use a draft hood - although it is 15 feet up. They call it a "dilution tunnel".

Sorta. 5G is the dilution tunnel method, but 5H is the stack method (no tunnel or collection hood used).

I will not be able to tell for sure till I remove the stove and the damper plate and look. I was not setup to walk a steep roof.

It looks like the original flue is 12/12 Interior chimney location.

I think I will take them up on the offer to have it cleaned before I do the installation It was last cleaned in 2005

I had a Nashua years ago in Jersey, great stove. Better than the beast I have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.