Still Smoking....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some smoke at start up and I believe I;ve fixed it. The cap on the T didn't seal properly. I have the simpson pellet vent twist lock. I'm putting RTV between the inner and outer walls to prevent leakage.

Just trying to brainstorm with you buddy...Obviously #1 you have the male joints going in the right direction?....#2 Have you eliminated a poor draft conditions with too many bends(elbows)?.... #3 is there a bad improperly bent piece of pipe in the mix?....Ok , so you answer all these questions right... Then maybe it's time to cover these leaks...Rutland RTV high temp silicone is only rated to 500 degrees F, while the aluminum foil tape you buy at HomeDepot is rated fo much higher temps...it's a peel and stick aluminum tape and is maybe 2"wide x 60" long and sells for $6 a roll at home depot. It has a rating of 900-1000 degrees F+... Don't make the mistake and buy the 1-1/4" foil tape at trustworthy for the same price ....Home Depot is the only plave I know that has it for cheap. It's high tech vent tape with at rating of 1000 degrees+F and plus if you have leaking pipe the creosote will quickly drip down and fill those cracks. So I think you got a temp situation....Get the foil tape and cover the leak spots and be patient for a couple of weeks and the the problem will repair itself.... Open a window ...think of this as curing your pipe and until you burn it and allow nature to take it's coarse, you will have this problem....Be glad you caught it in the milder months

Is the tape your talking about Nashua 322..??? A rep from Duravent just told me he thinks the temp rating for 322 is 200 degrees. Its the stuff at HOme Depot for 8 bucks. It was the only
stuff I saw in both stovepipe areas of the store..I had it going yesterday and it wasnt burning and if its aluminum it shouldnt ever burn..maybe the sticky will wear out but..
How hot do you think it gets at the adaptor..??

Nah that is regular duct tape, a method used to seal joints between ducts and these programers do not know the the effacacy of a straight tape without adhevise.....It's like a secret among those who have used it

JoeyJ said:
Nah that is regular duct tape, a method used to seal joints between ducts and these programers do not know the the effacacy of a straight tape without adhevise.....It's like a secret among those who have used it
Nashua 322 is not duct tape. It is a 2 mil foil tape with a 200*F Maximum Short-term Temperature rating. Duct tape is a vinyl fabric reinforced tape.

DiggerJim said:
JoeyJ said:
Nashua 322 is not duct tape. It is a 2 mil foil tape with a 200*F Maximum Short-term Temperature rating. Duct tape is a vinyl fabric reinforced tape.
From my experience if the Nashua #322 alum tape is not holding up on your stove you are not burning pellets efficiently.
Bottom line is that too much heat is going up the flue instead of getting an efficient heat transfer.

Alright this may sound stupid but are you sure that the leak is in the vent pipe, On my first burn with my Danson Pelpro baywindow I noticed that the door gasket was not tight against the frame, I had to remove the side panel and adjust the latch now the gasket is tight.

bill

Status
Not open for further replies.