Still too warm to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
yesterday was in the 80's. this morning was pretty close and really humid. it finally rained today and has dropped the temps a bit. tomorrow's hi is in 60's but we still are nowhere near fire time. two years ago I was burning in September. I have a new damper on order for the old Appalachian so it looks like I have plenty off time to get it installed before I need it.

I started one in the little stove here 90 miles North of you about an hour ago when it got into the 50's so the place will maintain tonight. Pouring rain here too and is supposed to rain right into Saturday.

Besides the temp going down a little I poured my first beaker of Scotch in over a year and it just cried for a fire to go with it.

It's getting down to 43 tonight if it makes you feel better. I have the stove going on pine and the secondaries are burning mighty pretty.

Matt

Entering the end of the 2nd month of burning now. 25F now will be 18F by morn. Will be setting the stove stat @ a smige above low setting to-night. The house has a good heat sink in her now from a good flame roll after I reloaded it when I got home. Still burnin the pine mill slabs given to me this spring. Was back in Michigan last week @ Ann Arbour doing some Weld tests. Was 77F. What a change when I got off the plan in Windsor. :eek:hh: Had the A/C on going through Detroit.

Headed down into the 30's tonight. Osburn is cranking along with a bunch of small maple limbs. This is a great time of year to use the small limb wood to take the edge off.

83 today. Cooling into the low 70s for the weekend. Done with break-in burns. Wating . . .

I woke up this morning with the fire out, but the room was still in the mid 70s. I'll repeat the process tonight!

Matt

Same here David.

Looks like maybe next week for an evening fire to take the chill out.

Will start cutting for 08 - 09 burning season after the first frost, which can be awhile.

I lit a three log fire last night to keep the chill out. Woke up this morning to some hot coals and 83 degrees in the living room, 77 in the kitchen. Oversized stove..............I think I'm ready for a 13NC now............PLEASE?

Just checked the forecast and we're in the sixties during the day with the lows in the 30's and 40's during the night. Looks like we might be doing a bit more evening burning down here for the next few weeks. I think the routine with this stove will be come home from work, eat dinner, watch TV, procrastinate until bed time and THEN light a small three log fire, a la the brother bart method.

Hey corrie. I've been preocupied. As I recall you built a stove and took it to a stove show. now I see you work for Englander. Did you make the contact there, and did you relocate?

Sometimes I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a small pellet stove in the house for days like this when I don't want to spend the time and wood running the Jotul. One of those small, direct vent units could take the chill off, 35,000 BTUs or so... Enviro-Mini... Hmmm...
It would definitely do the job in late October and early November, and then again in March... just thinking...

-- Mike

DavidV said:
Hey corrie. I've been preocupied. As I recall you built a stove and took it to a stove show. now I see you work for Englander. Did you make the contact there, and did you relocate?

Yes, I made the contact here while at the stove show but that was only set up because Mike Holten and I had talked previously and he made everything happen. Yeah, I relocated and now I'm down in Monroe, VA working at Englander. Actually will be in charge of all R&D;pretty soon here. :)

Yes, I made the contact here while at the stove show but that was only set up because Mike Holten and I had talked previously and he made everything happen. Yeah, I relocated and now I'm down in Monroe, VA working at Englander. Actually will be in charge of all R&D;pretty soon here. :)

Whoo Hooo! You go kiddo!

Woke up this morning to 42 degrees. There'll be a flame burning in the F400 tonight.

I've had at least one small fire almost everday here for a couple of weeks now. Glass is getting a bit dirty because I haven't really had the firebox temp up very high. Looks like that will change over the next week or ten days.

I hear you there..Good frost on the pumpkin come morning..will have the Olympic going when I get home!

Corie said:
DavidV said:

R&D;-) Sounds great!! Good luck!! Do you have a blog going anywhere?

ThePhotoHound said:
Looks like lows in the 30's starting this weekend in Central MA. Very exciting!

Yep .. I've burned a grand total of 3 bags so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.