still torn not sure what way to go.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
After all the searching and looking Im still just not sure what way to go. The idea of putting the stove in will the be the primary/secondary heat. I want to be able to turn the electric baseboard heaters right off, and if the house gets cold the propane heater will kick in and keep it above 60.

I think we have narrowed down our choices between a few options: Blaze King Sirocco 30/Ashford 30, Lopi Endeavor or Liberty (leaning more towards Liberty), IronStrike Greandview 300 or Canyon S310 or Performer S210, And the Pacific Energy Summit series

Pacific Energy Summit Series: We liked the look of the stoves especially the enamel option on the summit classic without having to have a cast iron stove. Im not to fond of all the extra gaskets that can fail and become maintenance parts. I have read of lots of happy customers with this stove line and I am sure it would be a good fit for us. The problem: The dealer did not give us warm fuzzy feelings kinda got the feeling he didn't give a crap almost like he wasn't interested in talking unless we were ready to buy right then and there. I also talked with family who bought the same stove from them and they have had a lot of problems dealing with them for service. This is the only dealer in our area for the stove. If we ever have a problem these are the people we would have to deal with.

IronStrike Grandview 300, Canyon S310, Performer S210: Bigest thing we liked about these was the large glass in the door great for enjoying the fire view when we are in the room. We got to see the Grandview 300 running at one of the dealers it seemed to put out a lot of heat and the controls seems fairly straight forward, a plus for the wife. All three we like are more or less the same just with different designs. The Problem: the dealer said they were a good stove and he spend quite a wile talking to use about them. But I can not seem to find much info at all other then manufacture info on these stoves online. It makes me a bit nervous that it seems like not a lot of people have these stoves. The manufacturer is not one that I have recognized or heard of in the past.

Lopi Endeavor or Liberty: I grew up with my family using a Lopi stove. My parents had no problem heating our house when we would have it running. I am fond of how they look. I like the arched door with a good view of the fire. I know a few people who have Lopi stoves for a long long time with little to no problems with them. We were fairly happy with the dealer in our area. They listened to us and presented us with a lot of information. I have read a lot of good reviews of these stoves. The Problem: I worry about the ability for the stove to last for the 11 or 12 hours they say. I know it will get 10 hours no problem. How much "babysitting" do these stoves really require?

Blaze King Sirocco 30 and Ashford 30: Of the two I am leaning on the side of the Sirocco 30. Again because I am not so fond of all the extra gaskets with a cast iron stove. But I am also not very fond of the look of the Sirocco 30 it just lacks some of the shape and lines that some of the other stoves we like have, But I can look past this. Again we were very happy with all the info the dealer gave us on these stoves and I have had no trouble finding information on the net about them. I have not question in my mind that either of these would heat our house with no problem. The Problem: I know these are basically designed to run with little to night fire in the stove. My wife and I would like to be able to sit in the basement and be abel to enjoy the flames in the stove. Is it bad for these stoves to turn the air/Tstat setting to get a "fire show" in the stove that we can enjoy rom time to time. When these stove are running does the glass stay clean or does it just blacken up? I have seen reports of both

My wife has more or less left it up to my to make this choice. We have the money to put the stove in but don't exactly have the money to put on in and not be happy with it. So I am trying to do everything in my power to make sure we make the best choice for what we want. My gut says the blaze king would heat the house no problem hands down but the possibility of creosote build up because of low and slow burn concerns me. I think it would do very well for out lifestyle we are both away form the house for work for 10-11 hours a day. I also like that it is self adjusting with a thermostat. It may be a false senesce or security but having that makes me feel I don't have to worry about the stove as much when I am away at work.

I am also torn from the Lopi I have heard so manny people say they have no problem heating with the stove and I know this would give us the ability to have the "fire show" we are looking for. With the advertised burn times of 10-12 hours I should still have hot coals when I get home from work to refill the stove with right? I also worry about things getting to hot well I am away at work.

Any kind of info anyone can give me to help put my mind to ease and help with making the choice would be great. I am sorry for the long winded post it just seemed like the best way to put my thoughts out and get some input at the same time.

I have the liberty and love it. I have no problem with getting 12 hours burns but it depends on how much I let the ash build up in the firebox. If you want long burns and fireshow why not look at the Progress Hybrid stove. It can be turned down for a long cat burn or turned up for an amazing secondary burn fireshow. The progress is only purchased factory direct but there customer service from what I've read is fantastic.

Ignore "advertised" burn times. There are too many variables that affect this number and no established test standard. They will only be achievable with most stoves if the weather is mild. Of the stoves mentioned the BK Ashford will definitely have the longest mild weather burn times. The harder the stove is pushed for heat in cold weather the closer it will come to other 3 cu ft stoves. The Ashford is not a cast iron stove, any more than the PE Alderlea is. It is a welded steel stove with an ungasketed cast iron jacket. You can turn up the thermostat for a better fire view without problem. It will just make the area a bit warmer.

The PE Summit does not have a lot of gaskets either. There is just the door gasket and a baffle gasket. The baffle gasket should be replaced after cleaning. It's inexpensive and easy to drop in place. Or you can roll your own out of 3/8" gasket rope. easy-peasy, even for a geezer like me.

Iron Strike is the current owner of Country stoves. They've been made locally in Auburn, WA for the past 30 years or so. The Canyon S310 is a stout and serious heater.

Last edited:
I had a blaze king, you won't have creosote build up because the cat is designed to eat the smoke, you are right about no flame show. I now have the progress hybrid, I get the flame show and a decent burn time with the cat. It may be too much stove for your situation though.

Ignore "advertised" burn times. There are too many variables that affect this number and no established test standard. They will only be achievable with most stoves if the weather is mild. Of the stoves mentioned the BK Ashford will definitely have the longest mild weather burn times. The harder the stove is pushed for heat in cold weather the closer it will come to other 3 cu ft stoves. The Ashford is not a cast iron stove, any more than the PE Alderlea is. It is a welded steel stove with an ungasketed cast iron jacket. You can turn up the thermostat for a better fire view without problem. It will just make the area a bit warmer.

The PE Summit does not have a lot of gaskets either. There is just the door gasket and a baffle gasket. The baffle gasket should be replaced after cleaning. It's inexpensive and easy to drop in place. Or you can roll your own out of 3/8" gasket rope. easy-peasy, even for a geezer like me.

Iron Strike is the current owner of Country stoves. They've been made locally in Auburn, WA for the past 30 years or so. The Canyon S310 is a stout and serious heater.

Thanks for the info on the BK Ashford. The dealer didn't make the clear to us. The Ashford has some more appealing styling. In the information the dealer gave to us it says recommended log size is 16 but it takes 18. Is loading 18 problematic or difficult? I have around 2 cord of wood already slit and stacked drying but its all been cut to 18 inches.

we looked a little in to the Lopi Cape Cod, but I kind of seared away when I read of people having issues that Lopi is still working to sort out being its still a fairly new stove.

The Ashford 30 firebox is 20" wide and 18" deep. webby3650 has been burning in one of these stoves and should be able to answer specific questions about maximum wood size.

PE makes great stoves, but I would pass simply on the basis of your feelings about the dealer. The other stoves are all good. What's more important, long burn times and ability to dial down the heat, or a nice light show? If it's the former, I'd go with BK (or other cat stove).

Although I don't own a cat stove, I've spent some time in front of a Woodstock, and the gentle flames were really nice... not as dramatic as an open fireplace, but very soothing. So it's not like there's NOTHING to see in a cat.

The Ironstrike Grandview 300 is the big brother to the Grandview 230. I installed the GV 230 in Nov 2014 and it has done great. My upstairs is 2500 sq ft and we've stayed warm with the GV 230. When burning day & nite I empty the ash from the box once per week and clean the glass at the same time. We installed the blower and are happy we did.

Reactions: RShim
Status
Not open for further replies.